Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone.

I'm look into building a computer around this two weeks.
So I would like to ask if this spec could run OSX.
Here is the main specs.

CPU: Intel i7 2600
MB: Asrock p67 extreme4
GPU: MSI RD6950 twin frozerII
RAM: AVEXIR 4G 1333 X 2
HDD: hitachi 1T (SATA2)

I think the main problem is the MB, since it use Etron EJ168A for USB 3.0, not the commonly seen NEC chip.
And I am not sure if 6950 is now supported.

My main purpose is to use OSX as my main system for doing schoolworks, and use win7 for gaming.
I am not going to do overclock, the only thing I care is whether the system is stable.

Thanks for reading my poor English, there are few informations that I can find in Taiwan.

Have a nice day. :D

soulshift24 said:
the only thing I care is whether the system is stable.
At the moment, nobody is going to suggest Sandy Bridge for a stable system. The You may get it to boot but will have some bugs to work out until a proper kernel exists.

I currently have this board ordered. I will be building towards the end of the week, and over the weekend. I will be posting updates as I go. My starting specs are listed below. I have built a couple of Hackintosh machines already. And have been lurking around TonyMac's site for a while.

Case: Thermaltake V9 BlacX
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-600CX 600W
DVD: Sony Optiarc SATA
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4
Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR31600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K
Video Card: ZOTAC GeForce GTS 250 512MB ZT-20105-10P

I will be testing this build with various hard drives, SSDs and video cards. Besides the GTS 250 I have a 9500GT, Sapphire 5750, and a Gigabyte 5770 and a Gigabyte 5670 that I can use for testing on this build. I should also say that as the platform evolves I am not against dumping this motherboard and going with something that works as a more stable Hackintosh. My end goal with this build is to test out hardware, drivers, and the methods of Hack installation. Along the way I am sure I will have tons of questions, and will be seeking advice. However if there is anything I can offer as assistance I am also willing to help out.

A note about the graphics card. I do currently have it working in a Hackintosh. Though it is a love hate relationship. I got the card at what I felt was the amazingly good price of $69. I didn't plan on using it in a Hackintosh. However I put it in my G41 build to test it and it mostly worked. There are some strange port issues, that I haven't yet determined are do to the card or my monitor yet. If anyone is successfully using that card I would love to hear about it.

The parts are in and the build went well. I will post about it as I have time over the next couple of days. Today I just bolted it together and installed Windows 7 to test the hardware before I start my SL install. I will be starting that either tomorrow or over the weekend as time permits.

Thanks for your help.
Actually I am willing to change my video card from 6950 to 5870 since there is a price drop that lead 5870 to cost even lesser than 6870.
And since that 5870 is supported, it may cause few problems.

And also just yesterday that one of my friends told me that I could change my MB to Asrock H67M-GE/HT since I'm not going to do overclock.

Is it possible that P67 chipset is capable with OSX but H67 don't? (Since I've seen lots of people using P55 instead of H55)

I will wait for your good news about th MB.
Thanks for you again.

I was hoping to have something to report about the SL install this morning. I booted it up with iBoot-Legacy and went to switch to my SL install disk. No luck. I then looked at the back of the disk and saw that the back is all scratched up. I went to the Apple Store today and got a new copy. I hope to post more tonight.

After a number of problems getting everything right I cheated. I put my hard drive in a USB carriage and installed SL using my Mac Book Pro. Then ran the 10.6.6 combo update. I restarted after that, installed BridgeHelper and MultiBeast, selecting only EasyBeast. I then installed the drive in my new machine and everything booted up. I haven't installed any other Kext yet. I was only going to spend a little time on this tonight and ended up doing a lot more. Tomorrow I will work on getting everything else working under SL.

Just a quick update. I have a system up and working. But I am seeing the same mouse and audio static problems that others have posted on the forum. As I have time over the weekend I am going to build up a couple of different drives with different install options. If I discover anything of use I will of course post it.

One note, my system is much more usable with the legacy kernel 10.6.0. A lot of the mouse issues are resolved. But there is still a lot to do do have the system really where I want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back