i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
The PCIe power cable (8 or 16 pin) to your graphics card always seems to be a cable that is not easily manged in a build. Since nearly all cases come with a glass side panel, you're going to see it quite easily. This new power connector built in to motherboards solves that problem.
The goal of the new connector is to improve cable management and aesthetics by removing all supplementary power cables from the graphics card and providing power instead via the motherboard. This way the graphics card looks super clean without any power cables getting in the way, and cable management is simplified behind the motherboard tray.

It's not the first time they came up with the idea. It should have been done years ago. Now let's see if other motherboard/graphics manufacturers adopt this standard.

The PCIe power cable (8 or 16 pin) to your graphics card always seems to be a cable that is not easily manged in a build. Since nearly all cases come with a glass side panel, you're going to see it quite easily. This new power connector built in to motherboards solves that problem.

Only Asus so far.

600 W of power through the motherboard? Then the current motherboards may need to be reengineered to accommodate that much power. I don't think Asus is going to put that connector into all its future motherboards.

Only Asus so far.

600 W of power through the motherboard? Then the current motherboards may need to be reengineered to accommodate that much power. I don't think Asus is going to put that connector into all its future motherboards.
More likely it'll be designed for high end/gaming motherboards. I will not pay extra for something that I probably won't use.

Anybody who thinks clean routing of one cable solves PC cable mgmt, please come work magic on my desk!

But this particular problem has already been solved: it's called a Mac Studio, or iPhone!

Glibness aside, 600W at 12V is 50A, which is why that GPU cable is fat. But you can imagine it being squashed flat and routed through a plane of the mainboard. Ok, so it's just going to appear as a fat connector over on the other side of the board! Fine. But on that other side it's already packed with anachronisms.

Apple already solved all of this!

Of course if you must keep adding more, US residential wall circuits are good for about 2000W before they trip.

This "feature" shows the PC-AT form factor is bloated and continues out of excess the same way that muscle cars and SUVs continue out of excess.

Only problem is the solution has become problem!

When you can get 20 TFLOPS in an integrated GPU you can no longer look at any consumer device as being compute limited.

And history has shown silicon integration utterly defies commonsense expectations of power / performance. And will continue to do so.

Fiddling around with GPU connectors that occupy as much board area for electrical contact as could home TBs of commodities flash looks ridiculous.

Since the Mac Studio, PCs are officially archaic!

Back