MSI GeForce GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
A few questions about the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH + Help for my 1st Hackintosh

Hello everyone, I first want to apologie for my English, because I'm only a French teenager ^^

I'm a fidel mac user since I was born, because my father already had some macs, and I love them and Mac OS X.

I'm a gamer, and I expected a lot from the new iMac I have been waiting for quite a while, but I'm a little disapointed by the higher prices (the price is more expensive in Europe, such as 1199$ and 1289€ for the same thing), the SuperDrive is gone, and because the new iMac is super thin, it might have some problems with the heat, etc...

So I think of doing a CustoMac. using a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH. I have read that Atheros wifi/bluetooth card is not functional in OS X, but what does that mean ? I have read that you can't use wifi nor bluetooth, but what happens if I install something like the TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter (TL-WDN4800) ? Will it work ? Because I only use Wifi, but if it doesn't work I might use CPL.

I don't use bluetooth a lot, because I have a mac book, but I think on using the magic trackpad and the apple wireless keybord, and they both use bluetooth, but what is the Targus Bluetooth USB Adapter (ACB10US) ? Does it transform bluetooth to USB ? How does it work ?

If I do make a hackintosh, I don't know what tower I should use. Do you think using a power mac g5 of occasion is a good idea ? Because I like its design.

For the rest, I 'd take this :

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5Ghz + Corsair H60 Hydro Series Liquid Cooler;

Corsair 750watt;

2x Seagate Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s + SanDisk Extreme SSD SATA 6Gb/s for the system;

GeForce GTX 680 (I told you I'm a gamer :p);

For the memory, I'm not sure if I take 16 or 32 GB. I will use Windows with parallels desktop or something like that, and want to be able to play with high definition settings.

As a display, I looove the Apple Thunderbolt Display' design, but it has a lot of reflects, and is veeeery expensive, so if you know something less expensive and with a good design, please let me know :)

Hope I didn't bother you

but what happens if I install something like the TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter (TL-WDN4800) ? Will it work ?
Yes.

I don't use bluetooth a lot, because I have a mac book, but I think on using the magic trackpad and the apple wireless keybord, and they both use bluetooth, but what is the Targus Bluetooth USB Adapter (ACB10US) ? Does it transform bluetooth to USB ? How does it work ?
This is so distressing... Please, Google it..:rolleyes:

If I do make a hackintosh, I don't know what tower I should use. Do you think using a power mac g5 of occasion is a good idea ? Because I like its design.
Sure, why not...

I will use Windows with parallels desktop or something like that, and want to be able to play with high definition settings.
Wouldn't be dual boot easier? You won't get the same performance as in Windows on one's own.

Thanks for everything !

I already have windows on dualboot, but its reaaally long to boot, and my mac os X too. My father has a SSD, so he boots in 10sec, but will Windows do the same ? And BootCamp works, doesn't it ?

Thank you again ! :D

Thanks for everything !

I already have windows on dualboot, but its reaaally long to boot, and my mac os X too. My father has a SSD, so he boots in 10sec, but will Windows do the same ? And BootCamp works, doesn't it ?

Thank you again ! :D

Windows will also boot very fast from an SSD, BootCamp on a Hackintosh won't work

Krik

OK, thanks for every thing, I'll search how to install windows without bootcamp ^^

Sure, why not...
But will the G5 be easy ? I mean, it is my first hackintosh, and the first time I'm making a computer, and I've watched some videos on the G5 and it doesn't look that easy...

But will the G5 be easy ? I mean, it is my first hackintosh, and the first time I'm making a computer, and I've watched some videos on the G5 and it doesn't look that easy...

If this is your first Hackintosh, I would treat building a Hackintosh and modifying a G5 case as two separate projects. First, build your hackintosh in the cheapest case that you will be happy with. Once you have it running well, decide if you're going to do the G5 case modification.

I just started a G5 modification, and it will be time-consuming, but is a really nice looking final product. Check out this link for really good info about doing a G5 mod.
The Ultimate G5 Mod Resource Thread

Here's a Really nice Monitor! (edge to edge glass like the cinema display!) Not sure if it is available in France, but it is on amazon, newegg...etc http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=320-9800

Thanks for the monitor, it's nice and all, but I'm searching a 27" and with a better resolution than Full HD if possible :)

If this is your first Hackintosh, I would treat building a Hackintosh and modifying a G5 case as two separate projects. First, build your hackintosh in the cheapest case that you will be happy with. Once you have it running well, decide if you're going to do the G5 case modification.

I just started a G5 modification, and it will be time-consuming, but is a really nice looking final product. Check out this link for really good info about doing a G5 mod.
The Ultimate G5 Mod Resource Thread

Thank you too ^^, I'll visit the threads at the end of my message, and do as you say.
I know it will be time consuming, but the final result looks soooo nice ;)
Maybe you have your own thread, so I can see how it goes for you ?

EDIT : I think I'm going to buy an empty g5 on ebay, do you think it is a good idea ? Shouldn't it be easier ? Or may I buy a refurbished one ?

I'd buy the empty case if it's a good price and the case is in good condition.

Disassembly of the G5 is the easiest part: ifixit disassembly guide.

I wont' be seriously working on my project until after my semester is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back