Contribute
Register

980x works with iBoot and CMOSreset nonDSDT fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious, whats your score when you run the 32bit version of Geekbench? I haven't sprung for a licences yet. Don't go to effort on this one if you don't have a 32bit version handy.

jboehm said:
Curious, whats your score when you run the 32bit version of Geekbench? I haven't sprung for a licences yet. Don't go to effort on this one if you don't have a 32bit version handy.

Back to back:
64Bit Geekbech = 18813
Same settings with 32Bit Geekbench = 17052

r.

Rabit,

I have the Intel Smackover board and a 980x and running 10.6.4 with the same problem you were having.

My clock runs too fast!

I have tried disabling turboboost, turning clock down to 133, changing smbus down etc with no success.

My friend built this machine for me so I dont really know what I am doing but it looks like you have a solution?

Can you send me the same "kernel" that worked for you? Then tell me how I can install it?

Will this fix my other issue? When I try to shutdown the machine it just restarts and of course, sleep doesnt work.

Help would really be appreciated!

Brilliant1 said:
Rabit,

I have the Intel Smackover board and a 980x and running 10.6.4 with the same problem you were having.

My clock runs too fast!

I have tried disabling turboboost, turning clock down to 133, changing smbus down etc with no success.

My friend built this machine for me so I dont really know what I am doing but it looks like you have a solution?

Can you send me the same "kernel" that worked for you? Then tell me how I can install it?

Will this fix my other issue? When I try to shutdown the machine it just restarts and of course, sleep doesnt work.

first thing. If you are unfamiliar with this kind of deep system editing it would be best to ask your friend to help you make these edits. If they don't work your system might not boot. so make sure you have a tonymacx86 boot cd handy.

You need to replace the boot file, mostly. the one I have attached is made for the 980x and will fix the clock problem.

It must be used with the 10.6.4 Kernel or the Legacy kernel.

If that doesn't work on it's own you can try the legacy kernel which is also attached.

You should be running 10.6.4 before making these edits.

Only try the legacy kernel if your 10.6.4 kernel still gives you the same issue. But it shouldn't.

You are not using Gigabyte board so I can't make any promises. But I hope that helps.

rabbit.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-07 at 8.15.40 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-07-07 at 8.15.40 PM.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 159
  • boot.zip
    101.6 KB · Views: 78
  • mach_kernel-legacy.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 77
rabbit74 said:
Brilliant1 said:
Rabit,

My clock runs too fast!

first thing. If you are unfamiliar with this kind of deep system editing it would be best to ask your friend to help you make these edits. If they don't work your system might not boot. so make sure you have a tonymacx86 boot cd handy.

You need to replace the boot file, mostly. the one I have attached is made for the 980x and will fix the clock problem.

It must be used with the 10.6.4 Kernel or the Legacy kernel.

If that doesn't work on it's own you can try the legacy kernel which is also attached.

You should be running 10.6.4 before making these edits.

Only try the legacy kernel if your 10.6.4 kernel still gives you the same issue. But it shouldn't.

You are not using Gigabyte board so I can't make any promises. But I hope that helps.

rabbit.
First, I see your hacked kernel is a 10.6.0 kernel, this is not considered an intelligent move to use in 10.6.4 but tossing that aside, maybe finding the 10.6.4 hacked kernel might be a better move?

I also noticed you didn't specifically answer any questions I asked, a little daunting for someone who knows jack about this stuff but perhaps you don't know the answers.

I really doubt it will fix more than the timing issues and I'll install and try to to see how it fairs and report the results.

It shouldn't matter what motherboard is used with a hacked kernel, it is designed to provide CPU information for a supported CPU thus allowing the non-supported CPU to work but due to superclass changes using the wrong kernel version is not recommended.

As I suspected, the kernel never loads without issues and it's probably due to the wrong version.

I'll start new by finding a 10.6.4 hacked kernel to use and go form there.

If it works for you you must have also replaced a considerable amount of other system kexts cause the kernel alone is insufficient to boot the machine with a different superclass.

Brilliant1 said:
As I suspected, the kernel never loads without issues and it's probably due to the wrong version.

If it works for you you must have also replaced a considerable amount of other system kexts cause the kernel alone is insufficient to boot the machine with a different superclass.

The 10.6.4 patched kernel will be in the next iteration of MultiBeast- but here's a link to an installer:

http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Kern ... .0.pkg.zip

tonymacx86 said:
Brilliant1 said:

The 10.6.4 patched kernel will be in the next iteration of MultiBeast- but here's a link to an installer:

http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Kern ... .0.pkg.zip
Thanks tony, I tried it but it still KP's, only seems to boot with a vanilla kernel which is strange.

Hey sorry I missed this question

Here is the link to the kext to fix restart issue. it goes in /extra/extensions, (/e/e/)
http://www.kexts.com/view/136-evoreboot ... pard..html

As for sleep. It is a tricky issue and I have tried many things to make this work on my system. It works now because of the edits I have made to my DSDT. A great resource for DSDT is here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=196771

The 10.6.4 legacy works just as well as the 10.6.4 kernel. It just isn't vanilla. Give it a try if you have time.

The boot file I posted is i7-980x specific and should fix the clock issue. It is worth a try.

We could also use a little more info about your system setup. Are you using DSDT? can you post it? Can you also post the entire content of your /extra/extension folder?

I hope that helps.

With a little trial and error I am sure we can get your issues sorted.

rabbit.

Re: 980x works with iBoot, How? and how to fix CMOSreset nonDSDT

rabbit74 said:
jboehm said:
Have you updated to 10.6.4? Rumor has it that it brings native kernel support for the 980x. I'm waiting just a bit to see how it flushes out in general. I've only heard of a few very minor issues so far.

Jon

I did the update. Still no support for 980x - had to roll back to legacy kernel.

r.
I installed the 10.6.4 update when I was running an i7 920. I then swapped out the 920 for a 980X and 10.6.4 still runs. The only problem is the TOD clock runs too fast and .mp4 videos aren't sync'ed with the audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back