Contribute
Register

980x works with iBoot and CMOSreset nonDSDT fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 980x works with iBoot, How? and how to fix CMOSreset nonDSDT

Thanks.

HPET is enabled.

The clock is running so fast that I can actually see a difference after only a few minutes. Everything goes fast, genie effect is twice as fast, the audio for mp4 files gets out of sync after a couple minutes...

I'll have a look at d00d's clock edits. Thanks.

rabbit.

I haven't had a chance to investigate. I'm overclocking bclock from 133 to 166. This means that effectively with busratio 25 its running at 4.15Ghz but About this Mac still says its running at 3.33Ghz. And this doesn't include complications of SpeedStep and Turbo. I'm thinking there is a disconnect between the processors clock and what the OS is understanding. But I don't understand how the processor clock and the os clock interacts.

Are you overclocking too?

Did the generic kenel have this problem too?

I don't think I had this problem with my i7-920. Lots of stuff to try .....

We, looks like the only way to get the clock to track is to use leave bclk at default of 133.... grr

I am running Base clock 166, CPU4Ghz, RAM 1333

About this mac shows the actual CPU speed.

I have found that all the i7-CPUs I have tested run base clock 166 pretty well; 860, 875k, 920, 930, 950, 980x.

Using Baseclock 166 doesn't usually require voltage adjustments. I always turn off Turbo in the BiOS when running BCLK-166.

I tried to take the 980x over 4Ghz but lost some stability. 4Ghz seems to be it's sweet spot without adjusting voltages. I don't have the right equipment to adjust and test voltage changes correctly so I try to stay away from that. I am also running the stock cooler on 980x, and although it is pretty it isn't the best fan.

Attached is a shot of my BiOS settings and about this mac showing 3.98Ghz. Your about this mac should reflect actual CPU speed. I don't have any answers on why it isn't.

Included also is my smbios for reference.

I am running the legacy kernel and testing the new kernel on a secondary drive.

rabbit.

Attachments

• smbios.plist.zip
    976 bytes · Views: 80
  • Screen shot 2010-06-21 at 10.35.32 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-06-21 at 10.35.32 AM.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 160

Does the OS time work correctly with the legacy kernel?

jboehm said:
Does the OS time work correctly with the legacy kernel?

Yes. Everything works awesome with the legacy kernel.

r.

Something odd but worth mentioning.

with the new Kernel the system runs fast but Geekbench produces 13000

with the legacy kernel everything works and Geekbench produces 17888

The systems are identical the only thing different in the kernel.

Weird.

r.

Yep, Legacy Kernel worked great to fix the time problem and it now show the overclocked freq in About This Mac. I grabbed the 10.4 (for 10.6.4) here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... 21599&st=0

If you want to move past 4.0Ghz, try turning on Load Line Calibration in the BIOS. The helps prevent the core voltage from drooping under load. If I'm reading the mark-i utility correctly I'm running at ratio 26 under load with a bclk=166 (4.3Ghz). If I'm not reading it correctly I'm certainly running ratio 25 (4.15Ghz).

How to I test that the kernel loaded completely in 64bit mode?

System Profiler/Software/64-bit kernel and Extensions: No

That doesn't give me warm fuzzies that I'm running 64bit.

Update(64bit): Well the system will not boot without -force64. That gives me some confidence that its loading in 64bit

jboehm said:
How to I test that the kernel loaded completely in 64bit mode?

System Profiler/Software/64-bit kernel and Extensions: No

That doesn't give me warm fuzzies that I'm running 64bit.

Update(64bit): Well the system will not boot without -force64. That gives me some confidence that its loading in 64bit

Great. So far I like the Legacy Kernel better. I get the same message in system profiler "64bit=No" but all my 64Bit apps work fine and I have 10Gigs RAM all working so even though system profiler says "no" it seems like everything is actually working 64Bit no problem.

Thanks for the OC tip. I'll give it a try when I get home.

r.

I put Load line calibration on "Level 1" and got a nice increase in Geekbench.

You can also see in the attached that Profiler says I'm not running 64bit but you can also see here in activity monitor that lots of 64Bit apps are running.

So far the Legacy_kernel is better for me.

Thanks for your help.

rabbit.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-22 at 3.00.42 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-22 at 3.00.42 PM.png
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 176
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back