Contribute
Register

9800 GT macOS Sierra 10.12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using a 9800GT since OS 10.6 and I would love to keep using it if possible on Sierra. Anyone figure this out yet?
Have you tried installing sierra with your setup yet? How did it go with your vga

I tried installing it via the Mac App Store app's inplace upgrade and a Unibeast-made USB drive. I can boot to the installer but I keep getting NVDAStartup issues. I've tried several combinations of boot flags to no avail. I use both the VGA and DVI ports.

I tried installing it via the Mac App Store app's inplace upgrade and a Unibeast-made USB drive. I can boot to the installer but I keep getting NVDAStartup issues. I've tried several combinations of boot flags to no avail. I use both the VGA and DVI ports.

Try only using DVI leaving VGA disconnected. Do you have (inject nvidia) set to true in Config?

I'll have to check when I get home. I believe so. I'll also try with VGA disconnected.

I'll have to check when I get home. I believe so. I'll also try with VGA disconnected.

VGA in OS X and macOS is a bit funny as its not really supported.

Using dvi I can only install sierra with my 9800gt 512mb by removing "inject nvidia" and adding nv_disable=1. After installation there is no way of me entering desktop without said arguments. Simply using "inject nvidia" works no more. I have tried SMBIOS of imac 14,2, editing AGDP adding my board-id, installing nvidia web drivers etc.... nothing works.

Apparently by copying NVDASTARTUP.kext from el capitan into sierra should work but haven't gotten the time to test this theory yet...you could try this @matey

Yep, many thanks for the hint, copying NVDAStartup.kext from El Capitan has worked for my old system: GA-P55M-UD4 + Gigabyte Geforce 9800GT. This doesn't seem "clean", though... Would it be possible to install the kext in Clover EFI and leave /S/L/E alone? Sorry, probably a newbie question.

Yep, many thanks for the hint, copying NVDAStartup.kext from El Capitan has worked for my old system: GA-P55M-UD4 + Gigabyte Geforce 9800GT. This doesn't seem "clean", though... Would it be possible to install the kext in Clover EFI and leave /S/L/E alone? Sorry, probably a newbie question.
Nice to hear yours worked. Unfortunately mine didn't, can you kindly send me the kext you used and the procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back