Contribute
Register

8400GS Success! And some things I learned about Device IDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for charing. I built my Hackintosh a year ago an it ran well until it showed this morning only a blue screen when running the system.

This has happend a few times before but always get away when restart the computer, but not today. So i set the GraphicsEnabler=No, and then first got the latest version of multibeast for leo and installed System Utilities. With no effect.

Then i installed the mac combo 10.6.8 (10.6.7 before). no effect.
So I read your post and opened System Profiler to get to know my ID.

Thats what i have:

GeForce 8400 GS:

Chipsatz-Modell: GeForce 8400 GS
Typ: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Steckplatz: Slot-1
PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16
VRAM (gesamt): 512 MB
Hersteller: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Geräte-ID: 0x06e4
Versions-ID: 0x00a1
ROM-Version: 0x00

So I opened the info.plist (Snow Leopard/System/Libary/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext/contents/info.plist) and added:

0x06e004de&amp

Then had to repair permissions, installed again system utilities from Multibeast. set the graphicsEnabler=yes and restarted

It runs perfectly now, so thanks very much!

husky403 said:
...I spent probably close to 25 hours figuring how things work and trying many many many different things, including GraphicsEnabler, NVEnabler, NVInject, editing DSDT (couldn't figure that out), and creating an EFI string. Nothing worked until now.

You really started something with this thread. Thanks for posting. This seems to be an elegant solution to getting one's card recognized w/o a lot of thrashing about.

I am wondering if this might be a solution to a problem I encounter EVERY TIME I try to apply a mobo-specific DSDT. After doing so, I lose video after the intitial Apple logo screen. The irony is that my current install, done w/o a DSDT has perfectly good hi-res video. My reason for even trying the DSDT is to get my HDA working over my HDMI connection.

My situation is different than yours in that I've already got my video card working w/o doing anything, but I lose it when I apply the DSDT.

I'll probably try it when I get back, but before I do, does anyone imagine that using the Device ID line would prevent the loss of video after the DSDT install?

I know one is supposed to be able to recover from loss of video by using GraphicsEnabled=No or PCIRootUID=0, but I'm not sure (and I have been trying to research it) what one does AFTER such boot option recovery. Maybe the Device ID bit would circumvent the need for that?

Many thanks.

After a few days of attempting to install my Hackintosh I finally succeeded albeit without full graphics.

Then I found this thread.

Out of all the resources available on the entire internet it was this single thread that made ALL the difference.

I followed the OP's method and everything worked perfectly with my MSI NX8400GS. The only exception was that I had to install NVEnabler.kext.

I now am no longer a noob (I think) and feel like I know so much more about what goes on under the hood in OS X.

Thanks everyone here, especially Tonymacx86 for all his helpful info and resources.

Cheers :headbang:

>Then had to repair permissions, installed again system utilities from Multibeast. set the graphicsEnabler=yes and restarted<

I don't get this. How does one set the graphicsEnabler=yes? I've looked though the Multi beast, and I can't find this setting to change. Yes, the 64bit screen will turn it on but the text says not to use it, if one has used EasyBeast. Do I need to run EastBeast again to set that setting again? I've tired that too but it tells me it's failed just before it finishes.

Since I added the new kext, I lost my second screen that I've had since I plugged the video card in!. But even after that, my video is still 4.2 frames per second which leads me be believe, something that is turned off, needs tho be turned on.

I'm using a Geforce 8800 GS 512mg with the 06e4 ID.

Thanks
Steve

I forgot to mention that I'm running Mac Lion 10.7.2. The most annoying thing about this is with my the onboard video, youtube video's run fine but I'm stuck at low resolution. With the GF 800 GS card I have much higher resolution but few youtube or Hulu video run. It''s a puzzle to be sure.

Hello Everyone.

I have a quad core Inspiron 530 with an Asus 8400gs silent video card.
I used Unibeast to install lion 10.7.3 onto my hard drive, on first boot the video card worked perfectly. However, once I installed EasyBeast from Multibeast Lion Edition the video card stopped working correctly. Now it simply shows up as Display 3MB.

I have everything else working perfectly on this computer so this is the last hurdle. I do plan on using both the VGA and DVI out for dual monitor support with dual ACER LED 21.1 inch monitors.

My question is does anyone know what was on the fresh install, it worked perfectly. Is there simply a few items I should remove that easy beast installed?

I already tried using the NVDANV50Hal.kext with device ID method to no avail.

I am a NOOB, I had this unit running for over a year with snow leopard but needed the upgrade. Any help or guidance is appreciated. It is possible I missed something in the thread, please don't flame me if I did, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thank you all for providing such great support! I am still surprised that I can run anything at all on my Hackintosh!

majinwashu said:
Hello Everyone.

I have a quad core Inspiron 530 with an Asus 8400gs silent video card.
I used Unibeast to install lion 10.7.3 onto my hard drive, on first boot the video card worked perfectly. However, once I installed EasyBeast from Multibeast Lion Edition the video card stopped working correctly. Now it simply shows up as Display 3MB.

I have everything else working perfectly on this computer so this is the last hurdle. I do plan on using both the VGA and DVI out for dual monitor support with dual ACER LED 21.1 inch monitors.

My question is does anyone know what was on the fresh install, it worked perfectly. Is there simply a few items I should remove that easy beast installed?

I already tried using the NVDANV50Hal.kext with device ID method to no avail.

I am a NOOB, I had this unit running for over a year with snow leopard but needed the upgrade. Any help or guidance is appreciated. It is possible I missed something in the thread, please don't flame me if I did, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thank you all for providing such great support! I am still surprised that I can run anything at all on my Hackintosh!

Recently I upgraded from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3 and I saw my card stopped working even after changing kext. I had to restarted and run Kext Utility again in order see the changes take effect. You probably already did that but if not, you may want to give it a shot.

Hello Everyone,

I got everything working. Here is what I did.

I used Unibeast with 10.7.3 (Installed via instructions)
Installed UserDSDT in Multibeast (no extra ktext at this time)
Then I copied the org.chameleon.Boot.plist from the Unibeast USB Drive (there are instructions online and if I can find them I will post and credit the original author).
and replaced the org.chameleon.Boot.plist that Multibeast installed.

After this I installed the Ktext for Sound, Nullpower and Network card.

System boots fine and graphics card works perfectly.

I picked up the Asus 8400GS 1GB DDR3 card and my graphics performance is horrible. Using the tweak provided by modifying the info.plist I'm getting 1920x1200 on my cinema display but in Cinebench I get a score of 1.49. I ran xbench and compared it back to my previous xbench when I had a 7300GS 256meg card and that card got higher scores!! Something is not right, there's got to be some kind of tweak that needs to be done to the driver for this card.

Edit:
After some searching around I managed to get some improvement in my card but definitely there is room for improvement. What I did was modify the Vendor and Device ID in the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext Info.plist under the model that my machine is listed under (iMac9,1). Running XBench does show a slight improvement over my 7300gs card I do feel that I can get much better performance by tweaking the settings. As I'm not sure what the settings mean I will need some assistance in this area.

Code:
<key>iMac9,1</key>
			<dict>
				<key>IGPU</key>
				<dict>
					<key>BoostPState</key>
					<array>
						<integer>0</integer>
						<integer>1</integer>
						<integer>2</integer>
						<integer>3</integer>
					</array>
					<key>BoostTime</key>
					<array>
						<integer>3</integer>
						<integer>3</integer>
						<integer>3</integer>
						<integer>3</integer>
					</array>
					<key>Heuristic</key>
					<dict>
						<key>ID</key>
						<integer>0</integer>
						<key>IdleInterval</key>
						<integer>100</integer>
						<key>TargetCount</key>
						<integer>5</integer>
						<key>Threshold_High</key>
						<array>
							<integer>80</integer>
							<integer>80</integer>
							<integer>80</integer>
							<integer>100</integer>
						</array>
						<key>Threshold_Low</key>
						<array>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<integer>90</integer>
							<integer>90</integer>
							<integer>90</integer>
						</array>
					</dict>
					<key>control-id</key>
					<integer>16</integer>
				</dict>
				<key>LogControl</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>Vendor10deDevice10c3</key>
				<dict>
					<key>Heuristic</key>
					<dict>
						<key>ID</key>
						<integer>0</integer>
						<key>IdleInterval</key>
						<integer>100</integer>
						<key>SensorOption</key>
						<integer>1</integer>
						<array>
							<integer>80</integer>
							<integer>80</integer>
							<integer>80</integer>
							<integer>100</integer>
						</array>
						<key>Threshold_Low</key>
						<array>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<integer>90</integer>
							<integer>90</integer>
							<integer>90</integer>
						</array>
					</dict>
					<key>control-id</key>
					<integer>17</integer>
				</dict>
				<key>Vendor10deDevice10c3</key>
				<dict>
					<key>Heuristic</key>
					<dict>
						<key>ID</key>
						<integer>0</integer>
						<key>IdleInterval</key>
						<integer>100</integer>
						<array>
							<integer>70</integer>
							<integer>70</integer>
							<integer>70</integer>
							<integer>100</integer>
						</array>
						<key>Threshold_Low</key>
						<array>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<integer>90</integer>
							<integer>90</integer>
							<integer>80</integer>
						</array>
					</dict>
					<key>control-id</key>
					<integer>17</integer>
				</dict>
				<key>default-control-id</key>
				<integer>17</integer>
			</dict>

Edit 2:
Cinebench score before this change was 1.49. After my score is now 8.33. Still feel there is room for improvement.

Edit 3:
One thing I've noticed is when I return the machine from Sleep I end up with just a black display. I'm forced to do a control-command-eject to restart the computer.

Also in system profiler my card is shown as only having 128mb when it has 1Gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back