CPU
Graphics
NVIDIA GTX 950
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Everyone,

So I've been looking around at parts and configurations for about a year now for my eventual Hackintosh. I am torn and would love your advice:

- professionally, more threads means more productivity. My professional work is done in windows, which leads me to want a 6850K since that's obviously very windows compatible. It's not cheap, but has a lot of computing power/threads per dollar in my opinion
- I also want a machine that i can run MAC OS on fully, as I love Mac from a personal perspective. Having iMessage keeps me in touch with my family and friends, and I love the integration of photos and videos between Mac OS and my iPhone and iPad. It seems, after researching this thread, the 6850K is not Hackintosh compatible?

Advice: is the 6850K officially or not officially a compatible processor for Hackintoshing? If not now, do we expect it to become compatible in the near future? If not, are there any processors that are hackintosh compatible that are faster than the 6700K?

Note: I love computers, but am not the most advanced hackintosher so I'm ideally looking for a hackintosh that's not difficult to get going and maintain.

The i7 6700K CPU is officially supported in a Late 2015 27" 5K iMac and thus officially supported in OSX. I think that iMac also uses the Z170 chipset but that's a guess.

The i7 6850K is not officially compatible but will probably work just as fine, although you may need to generate a SSDT for CPU power management to work. With regards to chipset, the X99 required for this CPU seems to work fine as well, although I'm not sure which chipset matches a real Mac best.

The safe bet is to go for a Z170/6700K setup. I can vouch for that first hand to be a stable and well-performing configuration.

edit: judging from http://tonymacx86.com/threads/new-hackintosh-x99-i7-6800k-gtx970-32gb-ddr4-2400mhz.194572/ the Mac Pro uses an X79 chipset, making the X99 officially not utilized in any Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back