Contribute
Register

4K Monitor Support in OS X 10.9.3 - Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on the task I am OK with native 3840x2160 all the way to 1920x1080 HiDPI. But I agree, the Samsung U28D590 looks great. I see from your screenshot that 30Hz doesn't have a disabled drop down box whereas on my system 60Hz is locked in. What if any options do you have (31Hz or something odd like that or does it drop down to 24Hz)?

I'm using a Mac Pro 6,1 definition as are you but a Core i7 3930K LGA2011 platform is hardware very much akin to a true Mac Pro 6,1 based system. Whereas Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge or Haswell based system are very different from a Mac Pro 6,1 based system.

Drop down was to show the "scaled" default setting from the "Best for Display" setting. It defaults to "1920x1080" in what I assume must be HiDPI since its looks retina quality.

In previous OSX 10.9.3 builds I had further tweaks that were available. This is the latest official release of 10.9.3 that was downloaded from the app store.

Currently only 30Hertz is available to me since I'm throwing out of an HMDI port not Display Port Output.

I left the machine on over the weekend, came in this morning and no more flickering. Weird. I'm going to try another DP cable just in case, apparently some are not really certified for DP 1.2, but mine (gold plated "Cable Matters" 10 feet long) said it was.

On a related note, many users who had three monitors working under 10.9.2 now can get only two working:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6224241
I personally saw this happen on a brand new Mac Pro with two 30" Cinema Displays (the older DVI kind) and one TV attached to HDMI. After the update one of the 30" monitors would not appear. Had to revert to 10.9.2

I read a reviews and user reviews on the Samsung U28D590 before buying. Some people stated that they had issues when using a DisplayPort cable other then the one that was provided with the monitor. Therefore when setting up the Samsung U28D590 I went out of my way to remove the DisplayPort cable that I was previously using (which was longer, thicker and looked like a higher quality cable) and replaced it with the provided cable.

As I may have mentioned before, my GTX 670 can run 4 monitors in OS X via DVI, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort. So I have run 3x Asus 27" 1920x1080 displays plus the Samsung U28D590.

Perhaps those having trouble with their nVidia cards should post device IDs, make and model or whatever is pertinent. My GTX670 is a 2GB model manufactured by PNY with a device ID of 0x1189. I bought it on sale for ~$179 when the line was fairly new.

I have a Dell UP2414Q running through an Asus R9 270X on 10.9.3. I can get MST to work, but still only 30hz shows up as an option for 4K/HiDPI.

Marco

I have a Dell UP2414Q running through an Asus R9 270X on 10.9.3. I can get MST to work, but still only 30hz shows up as an option for 4K/HiDPI.

Marco

What about using your 770?

Marco

What system definition are you using?
In my case with iMac 14,2 MST and SST modes work only in 30 Hz.
and with Mac Pro 6,1 SST mode work in 30 Hz bun in MST mode the UP2414Q does not get recognized by the OS.

No hint of 60 Hz

What system definition are you using?
In my case with iMac 14,2 MST and SST modes work only in 30 Hz.
and with Mac Pro 6,1 SST mode work in 30 Hz bun in MST mode the UP2414Q does not get recognized by the OS.

No hint of 60 Hz

I'm using Mac Pro 6,1 definitions.

My GTX 770's don't work in MST mode, with or without the nVidia Web Driver.

In fact I bought the R9 270X hoping that I would have better luck.

It seems that 4K 60Hz support is limited to the official Mac Pro 6,1 using FirePro cards or the MBP Retina with mobile GeForce. I have not heard of a single hackintosh user that has gotten it to work.

I'm using Mac Pro 6,1 definitions.

In fact I bought the R9 270X hoping that I would have better luck.

It seems that 4K 60Hz support is limited to the official Mac Pro 6,1 using FirePro cards or the MBP Retina with mobile GeForce. I have not heard of a single hackintosh user that has gotten it to work.

Dang, that's a bummer! Man, we are totally in the same boat: just yesterday I ordered the Asus R9 270x as well, hoping for 60Hz support for my UP2414Q, but then I guess I'll have to return it anyway. First I thought that my GTX 660 was incompatible, then I purchased a GTX 770 - no luck w/ 60 Hz whatsoever, and now the 270x... I think I'll just return both the GTX 770 and the 270X and stay with my good ol' 660 until we figure out this 60Hz issue.

I tested my GTX 770 in addition to the MacPro6,1 with MacPro5,1 and iMac14,2 SMBios'es, and in the latter two cases my monitor in MST was recognized, but of course worked only in 30Hz.

It would be great to know where the OS stores the whitelist for the accepted SMBios'es and/or GPU's and patch it.

I tested my GTX 770 in addition to the MacPro6,1 with MacPro5,1 and iMac14,2 SMBios'es, and in the latter two cases my monitor in MST was recognized, but of course worked only in 30Hz.

It would be great to know where the OS stores the whitelist for the accepted SMBios'es and/or GPU's and patch it.

My GTX 770's work in MST mode if I go Mac Pro 5,1 but that breaks my SpeedStep, and it is still limited to 30hz. :/

I am content with the R9 270X for the moment. It's a much more powerful OpenCL card than the GTX 770, like twice as powerful if you go by LuxMark results. Also, it seems a bit more reliable on boot. With the GTX 770 as primary card, sometimes I wasn't seeing my login screen and had to reboot.

I use DaVinci a lot, and I have the R9 270X as my GUI card (not used for computations), and the two GTX 770's in CUDA mode for computations. It's a pretty sweet setup.

I am hopeful that by 10.9.4 or 10.9.5 these issues will be resolved.

Marco

(I'll probably be doing the beta for 10.9.4 just to see if that gets me anywhere. But we're not allowed to talk about betas here and I got banned the last time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back