CPU
i7-3770K OC @ 4.6GHZ
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey GuysI have had my hackintosh Overclocked for some time at 4.5ghz (turbo boost), and have tried and tested for many hours on windows (prime95, aida64 etc). I noticed on Osx that the clock speed doesn't go past 4.2ghz. Why is that? any info appreciated.Chris

Try a different system definition.
I just tried Imac 13,1 and it wasn´t overclocking at all!
It just sat there at 3.5 Ghz, while i was throwing bechmarks at it.

With the Imac 12,2 it clocks up all the way to 4.3.

Edited my post, because i my thought was kinda flawed.

My motherboard has a vCore option. I have turbo boost over clocked to 4.5ghz using CPU offset voltage. under windows my clock speed goes to 4.5ghz but under osx it says it's only
4.2. I was wondering does osx not recognise such a clock speed!

My motherboard has a vCore option. I have turbo boost over clocked to 4.5ghz using CPU offset voltage. under windows my clock speed goes to 4.5ghz but under osx it says it's only
4.2. I was wondering does osx not recognise such a clock speed!

OS X will only recognize up to 4.2 Ghz of CPU Speed.

You have to edit your SSDT to allow for turbo ratios greater than x42:

http://macmanx86.blogspot.nl/2012/05/customizing-ssdt-power-management.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-4530s/56477-make-your-own-ssdt-aml-revogirls-script.html

Btw, I have to use MSRdumper to see my actual multi. Hwmonitor doesn't report correctly.

Looks like he has a 3770k, so no SSDT needed. OSX will work with any speed, but About my Mac will only report up to 4.3.

So, to OP, when you say it only goes to 4.2, where are you getting that 4.2 from?

You sure about that? Source?

Ivy bridge is natively supported in OSX. The 4.2 limit you are referring to are the default SSDT's within Multibeast that are for sandy bridge cpus.

yeah, that 4.2 limit of osx can't be true, atleast not on gigabyte boards.

Tried my 3770k at 4.5 never got it stable at such speeds but it was recognized w/o any modifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back