Contribute
Register

$295 "PovoMac" — The Cheapest "Hackintosh" Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good pricing, love the cheap build. I feel you get a lot for the money. If you have a microcenter nearby and just want to go as cheap as possible and dont mind trying a 40 gig refurb harddrive until prices come down where they should be, you can do it for 225.20 out the door.

Issue #1 - Dual Display Broken: This issue is a simple fix, but caused much frustration during the troubleshooting process. Basically, both monitors need to be analogue signals (i.e. VGA) or digital signals (i.e. DVI), they cannot be mixed. So the following combinations will work for the Galaxy Nvidia GeForce 210 video card: DVI/HDMI (using two DVI cables with a DVI-HDMI adapter), DVI/VGA (using two DVI cables with a DVI-VGA adapter), VGA/DVI (using two VGA cables with a VGA-DVI adapter), and VGA/HDMI (using two VGA cables with a VGA-HDMI adapter).

Thank you so much for posting this. I have that same card and have been trying to figure out why it wouldn't dual display. The adapter worked. Thank you!

slowman21 said:
Thank you so much for posting this. I have that same card and have been trying to figure out why it wouldn't dual display. The adapter worked. Thank you!
No worries. I'm glad it helped you out!

I have you beat by almost $100 on price with a much more powerful GPU and twice as much RAM, but I realize most people can't replicate that unless they have a Microcenter nearby. Nice build.

magpies said:
I have you beat by almost $100 on price with a much more powerful GPU and twice as much RAM, but I realize most people can't replicate that unless they have a Microcenter nearby. Nice build.
Well, you should definitely post it. :thumbup:

lionsnob said:
Would any of these two Gigabyte boards do? Or, is there a recommended alternative?

I'm attempting a HoboMac with a GA-H61M-S2PV(R2.0) with a Celeron G530 and a EVGA NVIDIA GT210

Along with the 60GB OCZ SSD and 8GB of RAM this build has set me back just shy of £200. I have it in an old case but I may look for a cheap old Mac on eBay to retrofit.

Anyway......

I can tell you if you're still interested, that this motherboard (rev 2) seems to be working fine so far. Delivery arrived at around 8pm last night and an hour or so later I was up and running with everything seeming fine except for audio, which is today's challenge.

Ethernet took a quick search on the forum here, you want AtherosL1cEthernetLion.kext I will try to remember to post any audio solutions I find here.

livingbeetroot said:
lionsnob said:
Would any of these two Gigabyte boards do? Or, is there a recommended alternative?

I'm attempting a HoboMac with a GA-H61M-S2PV(R2.0) with a Celeron G530 and a EVGA NVIDIA GT210

Along with the 60GB OCZ SSD and 8GB of RAM this build has set me back just shy of £200. I have it in an old case but I may look for a cheap old Mac on eBay to retrofit.

Anyway......

I can tell you if you're still interested, that this motherboard (rev 2) seems to be working fine so far. Delivery arrived at around 8pm last night and an hour or so later I was up and running with everything seeming fine except for audio, which is today's challenge.

Ethernet took a quick search on the forum here, you want AtherosL1cEthernetLion.kext I will try to remember to post any audio solutions I find here.

Thanks! I had already ordered the other board and plan to assemble this weekend. I'll let you know how audio works with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back