Contribute
Register

2 x SSD for OS's and 1 2tb HDD for shared data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
Graphics
GIGABYTE GV-R687OC-1GD Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a huge dilemma I have

mountain lion on one ssd
Windows 7 on other ssd

And a 2tb hdd that I would like to use as a shared data drive but I'm unsure as to how I should go about setting that up

Need help

PLEASE

Format as exFAT - compatible with both OSes, solves the 4GB file max barrier of FAT32.

Does exfat have a file size barrier?

Does exfat have a file size barrier?

or install one of the NTFS drivers from paragon or tuxera and use NTFS for the shared data drive.
Alternatively you can use macdrive on the windows side and format the shared drive as HFS+ but i dont trust that method as much.

g\

Hey genzai I hear that people have trouble with that method but thanks for the input

Xtwombly I just looked up exfat and the benefits and I will definitely going with that format

Thanks to you both

Hey genzai I hear that people have trouble with that method but thanks for the input

Xtwombly I just looked up exfat and the benefits and I will definitely going with that format

Thanks to you both

exFAT may be the best solution for you but keep in mind the performance is said to be quite slow compared to other modern file systems. In my experience FAT32 was particularly slow when dealing with many small files. And according to the reading i have done exFAT actually has somewhat worse performance than FAT32. So depending on your needs it may or may not be acceptable. For my part i have had very good experiences with tuxera's NTFS driver. No problems at all and performance is good.
Cheers,
g\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back