Contribute
Register

1TB KingSpec M.2 SATA 2242 SSD $40.99 @Newegg $5 Gift Card Included.

Motherboard
Gigabyte A520i AC
CPU
Ryzen 7 4700G
Graphics
Radeon Vega 8
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My favorite brand of M.2 storage manufacturers are having a bit of a clear out and I spotted this little chestnut. $40 for 1TB SSD, that's a bargain in my eyes, oh!, there's also a $5 Newegg gift card valid for a year, bonus!.

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 2.37.23 AM.png

Thats a shame, someone must of curse'd up!, $57.99 now. Mines arriving tomorrow!.
57.99.png

It Arrived!. Did you know that it's KingSpec's 17th anniversary this year, I didn't, congratulations KingSpec!. Yes the Playstation 5 storage maker is also a dab hand at installing macOS. I've managed to install every version of macOS since Mojave onto a KingSpec 128GB M.2 NVMe, so when I saw the .04c per GB M.2 SATA drive, I had to click!. Successfully installed macOS Ventura 13.6.5 onto the 1TB KingSpec, it's no WD_BLK SN850X in the speed department but you can't argue with brand that can quote 93% remaining life from a 5 year old NVMe.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 10.41.42 PM.png

KS1TB.jpg
KSx2.jpg

Speeds are low because it is a SATA drive, not a PCIe drive. As a SATA drive it is limited to SATA speeds (theoretical max 600MB/s), approx 1/9th speed of a WD Black SN770 PCIe NVME drive.

An older Gen 3.0 WD SN570 would provide approx 5 x the speed of the KingSpec SATA drive.

The KingSpec drive would probably be a good buy as an inexpensive data/storage drive, not so great for a macOS boot drive. The longevity of the drive would be a good reason to purchase one, for storage.

Currently on Amazon.com the WD Black SN770 1TB has a $10 off coupon (so $75USD)... Alas for me I have a falling out with Amazon and refuse to shop with them and their so called "community". Whatever happened to freedom?, comrade :p

Last edited:
Speeds are low because it is a SATA drive, not a PCIe drive. As a SATA drive it is limited to SATA speeds (theoretical max 600MB/s), approx 1/9th speed of a WD Black SN770 PCIe NVME drive.

An older Gen 3.0 WD SN570 would provide approx 5 x the speed of the KingSpec SATA drive.

The KingSpec drive would probably be a good buy as an inexpensive data/storage drive, not so great for a macOS boot drive. The longevity of the drive would be a good reason to purchase one, for storage.
So just to be clear, in my GenMachine there are two KnigSpec drives, The 1TB SATA drive and a 128MB M.2 PCIe drive. The KS M.2 PCIe is the NVMe that has booted everything from Mojave to Sonoma, is 5 years old and has 93% life. The SATA drive as you point out is slower than a PCIe drive, but I disagree with you that it's only good for storage. And I would argue it makes a better Boot disk simply because it won't get as hot as the PCIe drive. Sure the KingSpec PCIe is faster than the SATA, that goes without saying, but is it a better boot drive simply because it's faster?, (faster = hotter), I can't tell a difference if I'm honest.

Last edited:
That’s ok, what works for one of us won’t necessarily be what everyone would choose.

I just threw my two-pennies worth in to the arena so others had an understanding of the difference between the KingSpec SATA drive and a PCIe M.2 NVME drive.

This being a SATA drive, compatibility was a given—no controller-specific driver needed.

It's good to know that KingSpec is an ultra low budget option for macOS.

I bought and tested out a Netac branded NVMe and Sata SSD. They mostly sell on Ebay. Some of the lowest prices for flash storage. The problem is, terrible macOS performance. Slow boot times etc. So now I only use them for Windows 10 and avoid installing macOS on them.

Netac is a 25 year old company so they're doing something right. Just not a household name in the US by any means.
Founded on 29 April 1999 by Guoshun "Frank" Deng and Cheng Xiaohua, the two worked for a year developing their first product, an eight megabyte flash memory drive that Deng christened the U disk.

They sell a Gen 3 1TB TLC NVMe drive for 60 dollars but don't buy it for installing macOS. WD Blue SN580 or Black SN770 is much better, faster and macOS compatible. Not that much more money to go with Gen 4 WD drives.

Screen Shot 1.jpg
Screen Shot 4.jpg

Last edited:
That’s ok, what works for one of us won’t necessarily be what everyone would choose.

I just threw my two-pennies worth in to the arena so others had an understanding of the difference between the KingSpec SATA drive and a PCIe M.2 NVME drive.
If this wasn't a mini AMD system, I would of course pick a WD_BLK, (I own WD_BLK SN750 and a SN850X). But these mini's get hot and will reset if pushed to hard, thats why I chose a slower drive format, to try and reduce that heat, there's no room for heat shields either. But I'd argue macOS boots as fast on the KingSpec as the SN850X, I doubt it could keep up copying a large Stable Diffusion model though.

Back