Contribute
Register

16gb ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RM what is your geekbench score in your 2310m?

I found several reviews on hp forums stating that 16gb works fine in the i3's, but as soon as they put it in i5's and i7's it started to seriously degrade performance :( I was about to pull the trigger on 16gb too

I found several reviews on hp forums stating that 16gb works fine in the i3's, but as soon as they put it in i5's and i7's it started to seriously degrade performance :( I was about to pull the trigger on 16gb too

i had 16gb in 4340s i5 , and 16gb in a 4230s i3. performance was fine. bottom line is if you use apps that really benefit from more ram, then those reviews don't really apply to your usage.

video editing is one area where both max ram, and fastest possible hdd setup (e.g. ssd or raid) you can see better performance, and its specific to using those video editing apps.

I'm sure the quality of the RAM would adjust a couple points, but I am sure the AMOUNT would make a bigger difference.......I'm very interested in bumping mine up to 16GB and since doing that is cheaper than SSD for now, I will make the RAM my first upgrade.....then maybe CPU.....then the monitor.....the reason for doing SSD last is in hopes of bigger drives going down in price....and I am really spoiled by HD so this 1366x768 isn't the best...its great, I love it, don't get me wrong, but this will be my ultimate "Hackbook"....i know it sounds like I am putting ALOT of money into this computer, but when you consider I paid $0 for the laptop b/c I sold a cellphone to get it (a cellphone that was given to me).....it will STILL come out cheaper than a MacBook Pro
The stock screen isn't that bad. One of the most important things you can attempt is to calibrate your display or use an existing profile. It helps a lot.

I personally wouldn't upgrade to 16GB, especially not on the 4540s.

I have a probook 4540s running mavericks and 4 gb ram.
i am a video editor and am still not sure whetre to go for 2x4 gb ram OR to go for 2x8 gb ram.

Have you tried 16 gb ram? There seem to be some conflicting stories about performance degradation otu there...

regards,

-Pablo

I have a probook 4540s running mavericks and 4 gb ram.
i am a video editor and am still not sure whetre to go for 2x4 gb ram OR to go for 2x8 gb ram.

Have you tried 16 gb ram? There seem to be some conflicting stories about performance degradation otu there...

regards,

-Pablo

The service manual recommends only 8GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back