Contribute
Register

10.8.5 Bluetooth not working!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have bluetooth in System Profiler > Bluetooth, then you have to go to /Library/Preferences/ make a copy from the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist to your desktop, open it with a plist editor, change the "ControllerPowerState" to "1", then copy the modified plist back into /Library/Preferences/ and reboot. Now it should work.

After this, DON'T DISABLE BLUETOOTH. Because then you have to modify the plist again.

This method works for me in 10.9 (which have the same bluetooth problem as on 10.8.5)

hello
I use an old one usb bluetooth http://www.msi.com/product/net/BToes.html#?div=Overview so i'm wondering if a new one it's needed. Keep in mind that i'm not so familiar with all this.
So, i have tried to change numbers /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents/info.plist (photo). I did this first to ...dongle then to ...dongle-d-link and then to ...targus (i don't know difference).
After that i have tried to do the other "method" i.e. to copy
/var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist
from my old back up but i couldn't find the blue.plist

Could anyone tell me what to do, please?
Should i buy a new bluethooth?
Thanks!!!

p.s. will we have problems like this, every time an update comes out ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 8.55.25 ?.?..jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 8.55.25 ?.?..jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 463
Hi all,

got my OSX updated from 10.8.4 to 10.8.5 and i lost Bluetooth - Belkin Dongle F8T012xx1 USB
Vendor=050d ProdID=0121 Rev= 4.13

Thanks to this post, i was able to fix my BT by patching IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTrans port.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController - Belkin</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransp ort</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>289</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>1293</integer>
</dict>

Thank you :)

If you have bluetooth in System Profiler > Bluetooth, then you have to go to /Library/Preferences/ make a copy from the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist to your desktop, open it with a plist editor, change the "ControllerPowerState" to "1", then copy the modified plist back into /Library/Preferences/ and reboot. Now it should work.

After this, DON'T DISABLE BLUETOOTH. Because then you have to modify the plist again.

This method works for me in 10.9 (which have the same bluetooth problem as on 10.8.5)

Yes, I do have Bluetooth in System Profiler > Bluetooth, but only with 10.8.4 kext, and that's bothering me...
Will it still do the trick, I mean setting "ControllerPowerState" to "1"?

And why in the hell is 10.8.5 kext NOT loaded with my BT controller, although I modify BroadcomHIDBluetoothController.kext/contents/Info.plist to match my BT VendorID and ProductID??? :banghead:

Ok, so for me none of the solutions work...

When reinstalling 10.8.4 kext, I see BT in system Profiler, but:
1. if I take a look at com.apple.bluetooth.plist, "ControllerPowerState" is already set to "1"
2. if i try then to replace blued.plist and com.apple.bluetooth.plist with the ones from 10.8.4 installation, it doesn't work neither, meaning that on the top of the inability to pair new devices, I can't even use the alreday paired ones in 10.8.4 installation...!!!

So, I re-tried modifying 10.8.5 kext, by adding correct VendorID and ProductID to
/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluet oothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents/Info.plist file (opened with TextEditor in UI or vi in command mode, tried both...
) and still no BT device found...
I think KEXT doesn't even load.

Here's what I get with this 10.8.5 "fix":
Capture d’écran 2013-09-21 à 17.24.24.jpg
So, basically, what I get is... nothing, no BT device recognized... :crazy:

I GOT IT!!!

Ok, I've earned the right of being mocked and laughed at ^^

So, here's my mistake:
In OS X 10.8.4, the name of Broadcom kext is: "BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport"
In OS X 10.8.5, the name of Broadcom kext is: "BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport"

So, when I modified 10.8.5 file, I copied the strings from my modified 10.8.4 kext, that basically looked like this:
<string>com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport</string>

BUT, it should've been THIS INSTEAD:
<string>com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOClass</key>

Now it works as it should... as simple as that...
God and I've been struggling with this for one week now!!!

Anyway, thanks again for your time and patience, although it has been my mistake from the very beginning!

So, WATCH OUT for NAMING CONVENTIONS in 10.8.5 BlueTooth kext :!:

Edit: Now I can even turn Bluetooth OFF then ON, and my device are still there!

In case anyone else has a Jabra USB dongle, I appended this to the Info.plist file, repaired permissions, rebooted, and voila!

<key>BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController - Jabra</key>
<dict>
<string>com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>8449</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>2652</integer>
</dict>

Just to toss in my two cents for what worked for me. I opened the plist located at:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents/info.plist

Of course, open this as root.

I have a Jabra dongle, so i found the dongle entry listed:

<key>BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController_Dongle</key>

It was third from the bottom in the dictionary list in my file. I noted that the idProduct was 8448 and the idVendor was 2652. I caught a clue from a previous poster that Apple likely gooned this up by reducing the idProduct by 1. So, I changed the idProduct to 8449, which matches Jabra's id. I credit the previous posters for how to find the correct decimal id's and pointing me in this direction. I did as one previous poster said to add his Jabra key to the end, however that didn't work, which made me wonder if the device was getting caught by a previous key, which led me to look through the list and found the one at 8448.

Saved the file and ran Kext Utility. Pulled my dongle out, put it back in, and about 10 seconds later I was back in business with Bluetooth. (there's really no need to reboot a Mac just to update a plist - that's Windows thing that somehow gets carried over by many folks)

It was my process and it worked for me - hope this helps.

Hi Guys - thanks for all the help on this. My BT hasn't been working since the 10.8.5 update and it's great to see there is a solution. I have a Jabra USB dongle and the Hackintosh just doesn't even recognize it anymore. The System Info doesn't see the dongle at all.

Am I right to assume these are the same symptoms as Rongawer and Underlircs are experiencing with their Jabras? I made the change (added the lines) that Underlircs recommended - rebooted and the BT still isn't seen. I see in Rongawer's post he ran Kext Utility - I never did that, and honestly am not sure how to run that.

Is that what I'm missing? Is this the place to get it from? http://cvad-mac.narod.ru/index/0-4 How do I run it? Which Kext do I drop into the window? The /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext one?

Thanks for the help

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back