Contribute
Register

10.8.3: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the replies on the monitor. Used the settings you guys had and still not able to do dual monitors.

After reading a bit on the forums of previous graphics cards e.g. Radeon 6870, it seems some people were having similar problems and it had to do with the 'framebuffer' of the card? They edited a few things like "aticontrollerxxxx.something" and added their device ID or something. The problem with this is that I cannot find the aticontroller kext in any folder.

However, tried lots of different settings and while I still have no dual monitors yet when plugged into my 7870, I did find some interesting settings that still booted into ML. Maybe this will be useful in the future:

1. I could not get dual monitors to work when using GFX=Enable, IGX=Enabled and set to Start first until I loaded PCIRootID=1. Dual monitors worked however could not get it off the mirror mode.
2. My 7870 works and boots with the following settings (still no dual monitor):
GFX = Enabled and Disabled (in chamleon)
BIOS Settings = IGFX disabled/enabled with the PCI as primary (doesn't matter which I have)
PCIRootID=0 or 1 -- doesn't matter

**Note that when booting in -v, the boot screen does state that I have loaded an ATI Tahiti card (which is mine) so it is being recognized.

The issue with dual monitors is this: When I plug in the 2nd monitor, both screens refresh and the main monitor comes back to desktop, the 2nd monitor goes to a white, mirrored (mouse still moved in conjunction with 1st monitor), screen. The issue is that the 2nd monitor is white and I cannot click anything because the 'display' freezes--not the computer.

I got mine working with:
Init Display First: IGFX (this is primary video card to use)
Internal Graphics: Enabled (this is your IGFX and I have to enabled. Others can disable, but try enable first)

I only boot with GraphicsEnabler=No without issue.

If you list your exact motherboard/video card/cpu we may be able to better offer advice. List make and model plz

Luck
-=Mark=-

Thanks for the replies on the monitor. Used the settings you guys had and still not able to do dual monitors.

After reading a bit on the forums of previous graphics cards e.g. Radeon 6870, it seems some people were having similar problems and it had to do with the 'framebuffer' of the card? They edited a few things like "aticontrollerxxxx.something" and added their device ID or something. The problem with this is that I cannot find the aticontroller kext in any folder.

However, tried lots of different settings and while I still have no dual monitors yet when plugged into my 7870, I did find some interesting settings that still booted into ML. Maybe this will be useful in the future:

1. I could not get dual monitors to work when using GFX=Enable, IGX=Enabled and set to Start first until I loaded PCIRootID=1. Dual monitors worked however could not get it off the mirror mode.
BIOS Settings = IGFX disabled/enabled with the PCI as primary (doesn't matter which I have)

**Note that when booting in -v, the boot screen does state that I have loaded an ATI Tahiti card (which is mine) so it is being recognized.

The issue with dual monitors is this: When I plug in the 2nd monitor, both screens refresh and the main monitor comes back to desktop, the 2nd monitor goes to a white, mirrored (mouse still moved in conjunction with 1st monitor), screen. The issue is that the 2nd monitor is white and I cannot click anything because the 'display' freezes--not the computer.

Try to make the rotation trick on the second display as well. System Preferences / Displays / Gather Windows ---> You should see two display properties window on your main monitor. Choose the second one, set the rotation to 90 and then set it back. In my case it waked up the second monitor.

I can't get my Sapphire HD7970 Ghz Edition Vapor-X 6GB to work. My motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77-V. The HD4000 is set as the primary graphics but when I start Mac OS X with the HDMI plugged in the HD7970 nothing happens... I have waited enough time but the screen stays black. What's wrong ?

My best guess is that you need a custom DSDT with your card info injected. I don't have instructions to do this; but hopefully you can find elsewhere in the forum.

I got mine working with:
Init Display First: IGFX (this is primary video card to use)
Internal Graphics: Enabled (this is your IGFX and I have to enabled. Others can disable, but try enable first)

I only boot with GraphicsEnabler=No without issue.

If you list your exact motherboard/video card/cpu we may be able to better offer advice. List make and model plz

Luck
-=Mark=-

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77 UD3H
CPU: 3770k
GPU: Powercolor Radeon PCS+ 7870 LE Tahiti

Try to make the rotation trick on the second display as well. System Preferences / Displays / Gather Windows ---> You should see two display properties window on your main monitor. Choose the second one, set the rotation to 90 and then set it back. In my case it waked up the second monitor.

Have the script running to rotate both displays--it does but when they come back the displays are frozen (can still see desktop on both monitors).

Out of curiosity--when you guys go to your /Library/Extensions do you see a file called ATI7000Controller.kext? I do not see one on mine and I read about everyone having this;this may be my issue. If anyone has this file, would you mind attaching your 'ATI7000Controller.kext' file/folder into this message?

Thanks.

Just got my Asus HD7850-DC2-2GD5 working with a clean install of ML 10.8.3.

Used KextBeast to install the two modified kexts provided previously in the thread. Booted using USB stick and GraphicsEnabler=No. Also needed to do the sleep trick.

Didn't work at first though. Had to disable the "Render Standby" option in my BIOS settings (have a Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3) before it would boot up.

major props to you.
the "render standby" option fixed my install issues!

<3 to u

seem to have gotten my ML running with my ASUS 7870 ghz edition (1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 2 mini-DP).

Mobo: ASUS p8z68-v pro/gen3
Procession i5 2500k
Graphics card ASUS 7870 ghz edition (HD7870-DC2-2GD5, not the -V2)
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/HD7870DC22GD5/

My previous Lion build is here:
http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=66025

1. installed ML according to clinster
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...dual-nvidia-gtx-560ti-448-gfx-3-monitors.html
* exceptions:
a. took clinster's advice regarding the network drivers and did not install them
b. installed i5 instead of i7 (2500k vs 2600k)
c. installed sleepenabler (confirmed sleep worked after multibeast finished)
d. Booted with "PCIRootUID=0 -x -v", BIOS set integrated graphics as primary, and used HD3000 DVI for unibeast installation

Some issues I encountered on the way include the issue with the USB ports cutting out while loading unibeast (see my Lion post same issues).

This allowed ML to boot from HD, and use HD3000.
When I reconnected my 7870, I got the bios splash screen and then black (even when I booted from MBR USB with unibeast). The sleep trick did not work either.

2. resolved black screen by using chillout's fix. changed "render standby" to disabled (same place to set IGFX as primary)
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...xx-graphics-testing-thread-15.html#post571610
booted up via MBR USB with unibeast. selected macintosh, and used "GraphicsEnabler=no PCIRootUID=0" and success!

Currently booting via USB everytime, but going to try setting GraphicsEnabler=no and PCIRootUID=0 in org.chameleon.Boot.plist to see if i can boot from HD

That's really strange--you're doing everything right and it's still behaving weirdly.
I'm guessing it's not something obvious like turning the monitor off and back on?

Whenever you unplug any of the 3 monitors, do the other 2 (no matter which port they're connected to) work? Like, if you unplug DVI, suddenly do the other 2 work?

Also, I wonder if it's just you having this problem, or if this is true with multiple 7950 users.
I guess no one else is using 3 monitors on a 7950 here?

Hi, I'm still struggling with this 3 monitors issue. The strange is that the problem exist in the BIOS as well. I see the mirrored BIOS screen on any 2 of the 3 monitors, but not on all of the three. KNNSpeed, could you check what you see in BIOS with your gear? I would like to find out it is a normal behaviour or something wrong with my 7950?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back