Contribute
Register

10.6.8 Cpu Temps / Fans speed higher.. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z68-XP-UD3
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Hey guys,

Updated two desktops with 10.6.8 (both q6600 quads, different motherboards, graphics), and saw a significant difference in temps and fans. Initially i heard my cpu fan running louder than usual and then ran a monitor and saw the cpu up about 10 degrees more.

Tested both by dropping back to 10.6.7 and fans/temps went back to normal. Both have up to date setups with chameleon and needed kexts.

10.6.8 is a bridge between snow leopard and lion so obviously new changes to the system, so something has been added.

I am wondering if anyone else has seen this issue and I'm wondering what the cause could be? the only thing I haven't changed is the newest fakesmc. Could that affect this problem?

Thanks

haze295 said:
Hey guys,

Updated two desktops with 10.6.8 (both q6600 quads, different motherboards, graphics), and saw a significant difference in temps and fans. Initially i heard my cpu fan running louder than usual and then ran a monitor and saw the cpu up about 10 degrees more.

Tested both by dropping back to 10.6.7 and fans/temps went back to normal. Both have up to date setups with chameleon and needed kexts.

10.6.8 is a bridge between snow leopard and lion so obviously new changes to the system, so something has been added.

I am wondering if anyone else has seen this issue and I'm wondering what the cause could be? the only thing I haven't changed is the newest fakesmc. Could that affect this problem?

Thanks
System temps and fan speeds are about the same on my rig -
iStat temps.png
and I have had absolutely no issues with 10.6.8 other than required AppleHDA rollback for audio.

Attachments

• iStat temps.png
    iStat temps.png
    26 KB · Views: 236
interesting that your numbers looks really true, I got absolute non sense numbers from iStat - more than 100 degree :D

after repairing permissions and reinstalling Fakesmc + plugins, I found that temps are the exact same in 10.6.7 / 10.6.8 (avg 42 degrees across all 4 cores)

However CPU fan in 6.8 is running faster :crazy:

Not seeing any issues on mine either. Same. temps and fan speed.

Higher temperatures by 6-7C after updating to 10.6.8, booting from a 10.6.7 system backup brings the temps back down again so it must be something in the update.

PStates and CStates are active on both builds.

haze295 said:
Hey guys,

Thanks

No issue up to 10.6.8 but updated to Lion i have cpu fan speed much louder.
100% idle and temperature about 26° but fan is going so fast as it is rendering a full hd movie!
:problem:
Anyone got solution?

EDIT:
solution to my system
Use proper system definition according to your system(example: imac 11,1 for core i5 2,66ghz ) and cpuStats using MultiBeast with system Utilities.
for system definition try this http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_capability/mac-specs-by-machine-model-machine-id.html
Please, if It Helps, mark as solved.
let us Know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back