Contribute
Register

10.6.7 Native ATi 5xxx/6xxx Cards which work (and don't)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sprocket said:
I've been using the Sapphire HD 6850 1GB (not the TOXIC version) for a few weeks now. No problems whatsoever, though I have no DVD drive to test DVD Player. Starcraft II works with no issues though.

SCII working with no issues is good to know. What's your BNet name? I go by Shiggity on there. :)

OK, after reading all 23 pages, I may not have things configured properly
27" Apple display via MiniDisplay port
Saphire Radeon HD 6870

Cinibench is only 32 and I have no entries for framebuffer in my com.apple.Boot.plist
I simply installed ATI drivers with Multibeast and have it working.

Here is what the card shows up as in "about my Mac" and my com.apple.Boot.plist
Am I missing out on performance?

------------------
ATI Radeon HD NI40:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD NI40
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6738
Revision ID: 0x0000
Displays:
LED Cinema Display:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPort
Display Connector:
Display Connector:
Display Connector:
Display Connector:

-----------------------------

Here is my com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

injectx said:
Aznboy1993 said:
Brand=MSI
Model=R6950-2PM2D2GD5
Device ID=0x6719
Multibeast=3.4
MacOS=10.6.7
Reported by=Aznboy1993

NOTE: Card is unlocked to 6970 using MSI 6970 BIOS. Tried to manually insert device ID. No joy either way.

This card works? If so, please do report how you installed it and what your cinebench results are.

Woops..forgot to add. It DOESN'T work completely. But, well it works...sort of. I was able to install OS X on my system but it would not recognize the card. Only as a 256MB VRAM card (and other junk) and my resolution was stuck at 1024x768. BUT, I was able to get it to install, etc. without problems.

Aznboy1993 said:
injectx said:
Aznboy1993 said:
Brand=MSI
Model=R6950-2PM2D2GD5
Device ID=0x6719
Multibeast=3.4
MacOS=10.6.7
Reported by=Aznboy1993

NOTE: Card is unlocked to 6970 using MSI 6970 BIOS. Tried to manually insert device ID. No joy either way.

This card works? If so, please do report how you installed it and what your cinebench results are.

Woops..forgot to add. It DOESN'T work completely. But, well it works...sort of. I was able to install OS X on my system but it would not recognize the card. Only as a 256MB VRAM card (and other junk) and my resolution was stuck at 1024x768. BUT, I was able to get it to install, etc. without problems.

That's a good start though. I'm sure hackers and whatnot'll get it working fully. 2GB VRAM is heavenly.

Successful

Brand=MSI
Model=R5670-PMD1G/OC
Device ID=0x68d8
Multibeast=3.4
MacOS=10.6.7
Reported by=parkerdenison

Aznboy1993 said:
injectx said:
Aznboy1993 said:
Brand=MSI
Model=R6950-2PM2D2GD5
Device ID=0x6719
Multibeast=3.4
MacOS=10.6.7
Reported by=Aznboy1993

Good that you tried it=) I hope that someone will be able to get the card to work...

I'm determined to try to get it to work :p

I have tried everything I can think of and did countless installations of OS X.....still no joy :banghead:

Hello all,

Have been a lurker for some time, noob to the desktop world but running SL on my HP Mini 311.

Exploring an install of SL on my new i7 build (to replace my aging six year P4 rig) - separate SSD and HD from my WIn 7 64b setup, so thought I'd ask for some opinions on either a 5870 or 6870 card I'm planning to acquire shortly.

Have a friend selling his MSI 5870 Lightning but choosing between that and the HIS 6870 IceQ X Turbo X 975Mhz .. would anyone have any suggestions/opinions on whether OS X would support either?

Thanks everyone.

Ok, so now i got my SB set, my 5770 do works with 10.6.7 ATI kexts

Brand=Sapphire
Model=HD5770-VaporX
Device ID=0x68b8
Multibeast=Andy's P8P67 installer. (maybe MB also works)
MacOS=10.6.7
Reported by=emaf

oh, and i cannot open geekbench, and also i feel graphics were faster with my E8500 and GraphicEnabler=Yes, but i dont really know how to get back there.

anyway, it runs well enought, Starcraft II hanged once, but it seems stable enought.

arbitrageur said:
Hello all,

Have been a lurker for some time, noob to the desktop world but running SL on my HP Mini 311.

Exploring an install of SL on my new i7 build (to replace my aging six year P4 rig) - separate SSD and HD from my WIn 7 64b setup, so thought I'd ask for some opinions on either a 5870 or 6870 card I'm planning to acquire shortly.

Have a friend selling his MSI 5870 Lightning but choosing between that and the HIS 6870 IceQ X Turbo X 975Mhz .. would anyone have any suggestions/opinions on whether OS X would support either?

Thanks everyone.

iCeQ X HIS, is the best, test new card... results here... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back