Xeon X5670
Graphics
Sapphire RX560 2GB
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The 10.14.3 updated killed my ethernet. I have a Intel 82574L pcie card, and used Intel82574.kext that always worked without issues. The kext is in Library/Extensions, but before this update it also worked if I put it in EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other or in IONetworkfamily.kext as a plugin. I had it in all 3 locations (one at the time) and it always worked, the reason I had it in Library/Extension lately is because I read in a guide that’s where it’s best to keep it.

Anyhow, since the first Mojave it has been working great, went through the macOS updates as they came out, and now when 10.14.3 appeared and I updated, no ethernet.

Looking in system profiler, the kext is not loading, no matter where I put it.

So my question is: Did something changed in 10.14.3 about how network drivers and hardware is handled ?

read this thread

Hmmm, there is no native Intel82574L.kext that I ever saw in my builds, I always installed this kext myself. And when it comes to DSDT or SSDT i’m way out of my league. Also, this is my only computer, and without internet my options are pretty limited.

I ran DPCIManager and it shows the card, and when I press the ,,loupe,, button it takes me to the FakePCIID.kext as being the driver loaded for it. I checked System Profiler and the FakePCIID.kext is loaded, but the FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext and the Intel82574L.kext are not loaded. I'm guessing there lies the issue but I can’t figure out what to do.

The big question is, since it’s been running fine for 2.5 years going from Sierra to High Sierra to Mojave and all the updates until the latest 10.14.3, what changed in this update that could cause this issue ?

SOLVED. I deleted the Intel82754L.kext FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext, and using a live Windows USB one of my friends gave me, downloaded the latest versions from Rehabman github but still used my old Intel82754L.kext (just deleted for reinstalling), then placed the 2 FakePCIID’s new downloaded versions along with my Intel82754L on my desktop and ran the latest Kextbeast. Rebooted, and it works.

My only explanation is my versions of FakePCIID’s were old, since I was using these since Sierra (I think even longer than that) and the new update just broke compatibility.

Hmmm, there is no native Intel82574L.kext that I ever saw in my builds, I always installed this kext myself. And when it comes to DSDT or SSDT i’m way out of my league. Also, this is my only computer, and without internet my options are pretty limited.

I ran DPCIManager and it shows the card, and when I press the ,,loupe,, button it takes me to the FakePCIID.kext as being the driver loaded for it. I checked System Profiler and the FakePCIID.kext is loaded, but the FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext and the Intel82574L.kext are not loaded. I'm guessing there lies the issue but I can’t figure out what to do.

The big question is, since it’s been running fine for 2.5 years going from Sierra to High Sierra to Mojave and all the updates until the latest 10.14.3, what changed in this update that could cause this issue ?
  • From your experience of the LAN card failing to work after Mojave Update, you are holding on to a single possibility that the new Mojave 10.14.3 is the cause of your problem.
    • This is hard to prove easily as you will have to find one with the same hardware having the same issue to come up and report the same problem.
  • Is your PCIE Intel Ethernet card working OK in Windows or Linux?
  • Do you have another PCIE slot that you can insert the card and check?
    • The above two approaches are to rule out a damaged Ethernet PCIE card or Problem PCIE Slot repectively.
  • To Test the card in Linux, you can try a LiveLinux CD or USB Installer without the need to install the system on the hard disk.
    • I have found Xenialpup Linux a very small distro that does the job.
    • You can find the 32 and 64 bit versions from here 32/64/
  • I have been using Rufus (Rufus 3.4) in Windows 10 to create a USB Installer flash disk (4GB USB 2.0) that can run from RAM to test the hardware like Motherboard, CPU and add-on cards.

Yes, the card worked in Windows and I did tried another pcie slot as one of the first things (forgot to mention). It is solved now, check above. Thank you
Thank you for that additional information . I am sorry for the crosspost I made not knowing you were posting at the same time!
Glad you found the cause and fixed it. :clap:

I was lucky to have a friend that loaned me a live Windows USB, and I could download the kexts needed (and also see that the ethernet was working in Win), because this is my only computer and with no internet connection I was very limited. I already bought a USB drive now so I can always have a live Windows myself, just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back