Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

What do you mean here? In which slot is the card?
There should be no SSDT involved. One card not working may be a defective card. Two cards not working in the same slot begin to look like a defective motherboard.
The new (Sapphire) card won’t fit in the lower PCIEX4 slot, which is the only available one on my board, and in PCIEX8 causes the red LED indicating VGA issue and won’t boot up. I’m able to boot up with the old card in the X8 slot, but still get the same graphics-related issues mentioned in my OP (green/artifact glitching or severe CPU slowdown when doing anything graphics related). Suppose I could try the old card in the X4 slot since it would fit? Could def be a mobo issue you’re right

A GPU does not belong in a PCH slot (PCIEX4).
What is in the top PCIEX16 slot? This is the primary destination for a GPU, or anything which needs priority access to the CPU.
If there is nothing in PCIEX16 (why???), you may need to force bifurcation from the BIOS. PCIEX8 may not get its 8 lanes if PCIEX16 is empty.

A GPU does not belong in a PCH slot (PCIEX4).
What is in the top PCIEX16 slot? This is the primary destination for a GPU, or anything which needs priority access to the CPU.
If there is nothing in PCIEX16 (why???), you may need to force bifurcation from the BIOS. PCIEX8 may not get its 8 lanes if PCIEX16 is empty.
Probably because I don’t know what I’m doing!! :) PCIEX16 was a very tight fit with RAM and I didn’t know there was a difference.

edit: I've tried both GPUs in the correct PCIEX16 slot and the same issues occur for both.
- Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4GB still boots up/outputs display but with issues
- Sapphire PULSE RX 580 8GB seems to function but won't output any image and causes red VGA LED on Z390

appreciate the help though @etorix !

Last edited:
Probably because I don’t know what I’m doing!! :) PCIEX16 was a very tight fit with RAM and I didn’t know there was a difference.

edit: I've tried both GPUs in the correct PCIEX16 slot and the same issues occur for both.
- Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4GB still boots up/outputs display but with issues
- Sapphire PULSE RX 580 8GB seems to function but won't output any image and causes red VGA LED on Z390

appreciate the help though @etorix !
You used RAM sticks (with RGB?) that partially blocks installation of long graphics cards such as the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse?

I don't use large RAM sticks, only 4 normal Kingston DDR4-2666 single sticks in the slots, and it is still difficult to add/remove the RAM sticks after the RX 580 is installed. So I can understand that problem. But as @etorix said the lower PCIe x4 slot is not intended for graphics cards. I use it with a PCIe x4 card that hosts a single NVMe SSD.

It seems that either the PCIe x16 slot or the graphics cards themselves may be defective. Do you have another computer to test the graphics cards to see if they can output display signals correctly?

@clichequiche One more thing: Make sure that the little "lock-tabs" on the PCIe slots are pushed down and back (toward the "front" of the case.) The lock tabs can interfere with seating a graphics card and if they "lock-down" the card, it can be very difficult to unlock once a card is covering it.

You used RAM sticks (with RGB?) that partially blocks installation of long graphics cards such as the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse?

I don't use large RAM sticks, only 4 normal Kingston DDR4-2666 single sticks in the slots, and it is still difficult to add/remove the RAM sticks after the RX 580 is installed. So I can understand that problem. But as @etorix said the lower PCIe x4 slot is not intended for graphics cards. I use it with a PCIe x4 card that hosts a single NVMe SSD.

It seems that either the PCIe x16 slot or the graphics cards themselves may be defective. Do you have another computer to test the graphics cards to see if they can output display signals correctly?

Right. The RAM doesn't literally block installation, it was just very tight. This is my first PC build and I incorrectly thought the 3 large PCIe slots were interchangeable (I built this in 2020, so not 100% sure what my thought process was there). Good to know they're not. I unfortunately don't have another computer to test them on, but this new (to me) Sapphire RX 580 was working perfectly on a friend's build up until a week ago when they upgraded. I'll have them install my current RX 570 and test it as soon as I can.

@clichequiche One more thing: Make sure that the little "lock-tabs" on the PCIe slots are pushed down and back (toward the "front" of the case.) The lock tabs can interfere with seating a graphics card and if they "lock-down" the card, it can be very difficult to unlock once a card is covering it.

Hmm not sure exactly which tabs you mean. I'm aware of the main lock tab for each PCIe slot that pushes down to release, but comes back up when the card is locked in place. Or are you referring to different ones? Could you point out where they are on the schematic? https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...0219_e.pdf?v=c973f30373770a1e1ceb8dd8a38838df

------------------

Before I can test them out in a friend's PC, I came across this response from @CaseySJ when someone was having a similar graphics issue -- would it be worth trying to reset CMOS? Seems a bit daunting

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 8.04.51 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 8.04.51 PM.png
    108.1 KB · Views: 3
Shouldn't the lock pop back up when the card has been fully inserted? And then be pushed down to release the card? I'm confused sorry @jiffyslot

Yeah, just make sure the card is fully seated into the PCIe slot. Sometimes the rear of the card doesn't go into the slot all the way. I had some issues with mine and removed the locking tabs. YMMV.

** macOS Sonoma Installation Mini-Guide **
Please do not quote this post in its entirety; post a link or excerpt instead​
@CaseySJ, Hi, I am using Gigabyte Z390 Designare, after upgrading to macOS Sonoma, my Thunderbolt3 doesn't work any more. It shows nothing in Thunderbolt section in system information window. OpenCore version I'm using is 0.8.3. It was OK when used with Ventura. Could you pleases help me address the problem?

Back