Intel i9 3.6ghz 8-core
Graphics
Radeon RX 580 8gb
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi. I've had a working Mojave build running on Designare Z390 for a while now but need to move it to a new machine (HP Z800). How would i go about this without losing any data? Would i just need to change the EFI to conform to the Z800?

The Z800 is really old hardware (2009 era) so it wouldn't be simple to swap in the drive from the Z390.
Server hacks are also more complicated to get working than basic Intel consumer chipsets.
Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 8.09.44 PM.png

Try a clean install on the Z800 first and see if you can get it working before doing
anything with the Z390 SSD. What's the reason for moving backwards with your hardware ?
Is this for an audio production hackintosh ?

The Z800 is really old hardware (2010 era) so it wouldn't be simple to swap in the drive from the Z390.
Server hacks are also more complicated to get working than basic Intel consumer chipsets.
View attachment 579729

Try a clean install on the Z800 first and see if you can get it working before doing
anything with the Z390 SSD. What's the reason for moving backwards with your hardware ?
The Z390 is a great machine and it has 2 SSDs attached with different versions of OS (and subsequently different versions of Applications). i need to start utilising a specific app on the OS (the SSD which i rarely use) which means shutting the main drive down - The Z800 is basically redundant (with a working Windows 10 drive and 192gb RAM hardly being used) the thought process was to put Mac OS onto the Z800 so i can use both OS without inconvenience.

it has 2 SSDs attached with different versions of OS (and subsequently different versions of Applications)
Is one of these Mojave so you can use 32 bit apps ?

not specifically no. i had to start using a 2nd SSD due to issues last year with the Mojave drive slowing down (ie opening apps was taking ages and sometimes would hang). The new drive worked a treat. Recently, I've had to revert back to the Mojave drive to use specific apps (Adobe premiere which has 'Keyboard Maestro' automated Macros attached to it). Strangely, that drive now works fine too. Anyway, I've tried using the same Macros on the Premiere install on the main drive but they don't work and I''m buggered if i can work out why not. If it's gonna be a ball-ache I'll just have to make do with running the old SSD on the Z390 and keep switching the VM accordingly.

You can look at some of the Z800 guides here and try one out. I'd try installing
to a clean Sata SSD. The Z800 doesn't have UEFI and you can't boot from an NVMe either.

Of course have the Windows drive's data cable disconnected when installing macOS so one
won't mess up the other.

You can look at some of the Z800 guides here and try one out. I'd try installing
to a clean Sata SSD. The Z800 doesn't have UEFI and you can't boot from an NVMe either.
that's useful to know - thanks for the quick responses - much appreciated.

that's useful to know - thanks for the quick responses - much appreciated.
This guide has BIOS setup and provides a Mojave EFI folder you could learn from.

Back