Contribute
Register

Best External Storage for Backup

My Seagate thin Laptop HDD has been going a year so far and I've used the TeamGroup SSD on my GenMachine and Raspberry Pi Time Machine. I purchased a 256GB micro SD card from Micro Center for the purposes of upgrading my Pi and attempting to connect to it via SSH on Sonoma.

backups.jpg
microcenter.jpg

Can’t say the same for the Crucial, Seagate or Toshiba drives I’ve had the misfortune to own.
I've seen literally hundreds of failed Toshiba 2.5" HDDs over the last 25 years. Before SSDs were routinely installed in laptops (M.2 NVMe today) manufacturers like Dell and HP would put these 5400 RPM Toshiba drives in them. I'd guess they got these for the lowest possible price. They might last at least a year if you were lucky, just longer than the 1 year laptop warranty. I would then replace them with a 2.5" Sata SSD which rarely had issues in a laptop.

Then how to wipe the data on these failed drives ? Here's the most satisfying method. Time saver too.

1714744080321.png

Last edited:
Personally I will no longer trust current Samsung SSDs implicitly due to the recent issues with the 870 EVO / 980 Pro / 990 Pro.

There was a time when Samsung SSDs meant reliability and great performance (during the 860 days I would say). But no longer. And we all know Samsung NVMe SSDs have issues when used as MacOS boot drives.

I would agree with Edhawk about using Western Digital drives now, specifically the SN770 and SN850X. Samsung drives should either be used for Windows or as storage drives if you want to use them. But I would rather use WD Black now instead.

Western Digital or SanDisk drives would be my preference. Either as a Red, Blue or Green spinning disk or SSD. I have been using them in my Hacks, Servers, Laptops, real Macs etc for many years, not had any issues. Can’t say the same for the Crucial, Seagate or Toshiba drives I’ve had the misfortune to own.

Samsung make good drives, just not for macOS. I have only had one fail over the last 11 years, an early NVME drive (SM951). I have a number of older Samsung SSDs that are still going strong, but are now hosting Windows installations. Or in the case of the smaller capacity drives (128GB) they are used for long term offline storage in USB caddies.
Thanks for your response... it's appreciated!

Back