Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hi all!
I will get my Z790 and start a fresh install of Sonoma, hopefully today.
I have 4 NVMe 2TB on the MB.
My question is: If I set up a RAID0 with 2 of them for the system, can I expect better performance versus the system on a single NVMe?
Did some of you test it and run it on a daily basis? (I know the risk, back-up and so on, and that's what I do on a daily basis).
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Mac

If I set up a RAID0 with 2 of them for the system, can I expect better performance versus the system on a single NVMe?
IMO Gen 4 NVMe drives on Gen 4 boards make RAID0 completely unnecessary. Why bother with it ? It won't make anything you do faster in a way you could actually notice. Two mechanical HDDs in RAID0 is a different story.

IMO Gen 4 NVMe drives on Gen 4 boards make RAID0 completely unnecessary. Why bother with it ? It won't make anything you do faster in a way you could actually notice. Two mechanical HDDs in RAID0 is a different story.
I would agree with this. I don’t feel any real world difference even between “good” Gen 3 and the newer Gen 4 NVMe SSDs.

Yes I am horrible! :)

My Z490 Vision D hasn’t been used for the past few months. It’s still hooked up, but not sure for how much longer…

This build (Asus Z690/790 ProArt Creator) is the most golden one that uses latest technology. If Thunderbolt hot plug is important, then this is the best option.

AMD systems are very capable, but they lag behind in the Thunderbolt department.

I use my AMD system (Asus X670E Gene) more often than my Z690 ProArt because the Gene is more of an everyday system and it is located downstairs. The ProArt is for productivity applications and is located in my home office upstairs.

Because my Asus X670E Gene serves me very well as an everyday system, it is a safe option. Thunderbolt devices still work, but they must be connected before boot.

Will follow-up soon.
@CaseySJ In fact, you're worse than that, the devil himself, BUT I forgive you already... :cool:
Even if I would have preferred to continue the AMD adventure by replacing my Gigabyte X670 GAMING X AX with an ASUS ROG X670 HERO, software incompatibilities, in particular Parallels Desktop, finally pushed me to choose the Asus Z790 ProArt Creator.
No regrets, and welcome to the club!

A few details/comments, and a more annoying issue:

- I'm running BIOS 2102 and it now seems impossible to configure the “balance” between the P and E cores. This is a minor detail for me, but am I missing something in the configuration?

Bi8Cuhp.jpg

For the EFI, I started from an EFI created with the HackinDROM application, which I then updated again via HackinDROM up to OC 1.0.0. So smooth! Thanks @Inqnuam ...

I had quite a few problems at first, as the rear USB ports weren't working, so the mouse and keyboard were inoperative. By using the front USB ports, everything was back to normal.

Once Sonoma was installed, I set about modifying the EFI to recover WIFI and Bluetooth. Success, both are now OK!

However during a reboot, I noticed that it was unable to load an ACPI table (screenshot). I don't know if this is a problem (it's beyond my level of expertise) but it's not pretty and it undoubtedly may have an impact on the smooth running of Sonoma.

IkHQzH6.jpg

What's even more annoying is that some of my USB ports are not working (Iknow it's a common issue). I know how to remedy this using the USBToolBox method. However, I have no idea what the consequences will be for my current EFI (I know that you are managing the USB ports in a different way), the possibilities of interference and what to eventually disable.
Hope someone can drive me.
Once again many thanks in advance for your help!

Attached is my EFI and the IORegistryExplorer report.

Attachments

• EFI Mac Arthur.zip
    34.8 MB · Views: 4
  • Mac Arthur IORegisterExplorer.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
- I'm running BIOS 2102 and it now seems impossible to configure the “balance” between the P and E cores.
What do you mean by that? Unless you want to disable E cores altogether there's not much to "balance".

wever during a reboot, I noticed that it was unable to load an ACPI table (screenshot). I don't know if this is a problem (it's beyond my level of expertise) but it's not pretty and it undoubtedly may have an impact on the smooth running of Sonoma.
Why are you attempting to drop a SSDT?

What's even more annoying is that some of my USB ports are not working (Iknow it's a common issue). I know how to remedy this using the USBToolBox method.
Then you know the solution: Make your own USB map—which involves selecting logical ports to disable to keep within the macOS limit of 15.

@CaseySJ In fact, you're worse than that, the devil himself, BUT I forgive you already... :cool:
Yes I am truly horrible... ;)

A few details/comments, and a more annoying issue:

- I'm running BIOS 2102 and it now seems impossible to configure the “balance” between the P and E cores. This is a minor detail for me, but am I missing something in the configuration?
We just enable everything -- all P-cores, all E-cores, and Hyperthreading. You'll get the best multi-core performance this way.

For the EFI, I started from an EFI created with the HackinDROM application, which I then updated again via HackinDROM up to OC 1.0.0. So smooth! Thanks @Inqnuam ...
HackinDROM is the only application I use to upgrade OpenCore on both Intel and AMD systems. Not only is it just a piece of cake to use, but we have a direct line to its developer (@Inqnuam)!

However during a reboot, I noticed that it was unable to load an ACPI table (screenshot). I don't know if this is a problem (it's beyond my level of expertise) but it's not pretty and it undoubtedly may have an impact on the smooth running of Sonoma.
This is referring to the xh_adls3 SSDT. On your Z790 ProArt Creator, this table/SSDT does not exist so the entry can and should be removed from config.plist -> ACPI -> Delete.

What's even more annoying is that some of my USB ports are not working (Iknow it's a common issue). I know how to remedy this using the USBToolBox method. However, I have no idea what the consequences will be for my current EFI (I know that you are managing the USB ports in a different way), the possibilities of interference and what to eventually disable.
Hope someone can drive me.
It's okay to replace the USB port map SSDTs with a USB kext that is mapped specifically to your Z790 ProArt. It would be necessary to uncheck or remove the 4 SSDTs highlighted below. And we can also disable or remove the kext USBInjectAll.kext.

If you search this thread you may even find a fully configured EFI folder for Z790 ProArt...

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 10.26.37 AM.png

Yes I am truly horrible... ;)

You are really horrible!

As @craighazan mentioned during yesterday's debug session, "you have an amazing ability at explaining the intricacies." Thanks to you and your documentations, I have to confess that I've learned how to write my owns.
Now, at my job, everybody wants me to write project docs!

HackinDROM is the only application I use to upgrade OpenCore on both Intel and AMD systems. Not only is it just a piece of cake to use, but we have a direct line to its developer (@Inqnuam)!

Now, when I look at HackinDROM App's source code, I want to laugh! But the app works really smoothly that I don't want to touch anything.

Even if I would have preferred to continue the AMD adventure by replacing my Gigabyte X670 GAMING X AX with an ASUS ROG X670 HERO, software incompatibilities, in particular Parallels Desktop, finally pushed me to choose the Asus Z790 ProArt Creator.

I just saw that Broadcom has made VMWare Fusion Pro 13 free for personal use! Gonna give it a try soon…

I just saw that Broadcom has made VMWare Fusion Pro 13 free for personal use! Gonna give it a try soon…

Knowing Broadcom we now can expect VMWare Fusion to be discontinued in the near future.

Back