Contribute
Register

Asus ProArt z790 - BIOS updates!

Many thanks to @SmackAttack ! Got my ProArt z790 Running decently well, although small issues with my 6800XT that won't boot past OpenCore with DisplayPort vs HDMI.

Question - with CPUTopologyRebuild and HT, eCores, and pCores enabled, are you folks getting a clock speed close to your max? On my 14700k, I'm seeing GeekBench scores roughly the same as Windows, and my max CPU Freq (as reported by iStats) is 5.34ghz - lower than my max pCore Turbo Freq (5.6ghz), but higher than my max eCore Turbo Freq (4.3ghz).

I saw CaseySJ mention that using your e cores would limit the max clock of your P Cores, but with CPUTopologyRebuild, does it seem to remove that limitation? I use my Hack as an audio production workstation, so both multithreading AND high clock speed is important for different reasons.
Don't think I ever tried my two machines w/o the CPUTop, but pretty darn sure I've always had max frequency what it should be (vs. the lower eCore frequency). On my z790, for example, it hits 6.0GHz but I've got that noob AI overclock feature turned on). I do believe that in Windows, with the AI OC feature on, it reports throttling when stressed, but in Mac OS I'm pretty sure it does not and the max temps aren't quite as high as in Windows, so one might conclude that in Mac OS it isn't actually running as full-bore with this CPU core trickery as it does it Windows.
j

Thanks!
I am definitely convinced about the teaching skills of Casey!
But for this asus z690/z790 config I can't find anywhere in his lengthy post.
And being a "Gigabyte man" I'll get lost for sure if nobody pave me the way :cool:
As far as USB are concerned I know how to do. Did on so many machines already.

It's definitely there! I'd suggest reading through the whole post, but "step 6" is the one you're looking for.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 2.10.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 2.10.12 PM.png
    629.8 KB · Views: 7
Hmmm...
I was like a kid who got a new toy, and being so excited to play, forgot to insert 1st the battery before switching on... and then start to cry :cool:

Back