Contribute
Register

[SOLVED AGAIN] Fine Tuning SATA/eSATA on Asus P8P67 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [SOLVED] Fine Tuning SATA/eSATA on Asus P8P67 Pro

I edited my own DSDT and it works for me. THANKS STRADIVARI. The only "problem" is that my ESATA HDD appears as an internal HDD.

AndyStubbs said:
stradivari said:
ajg0r said:
Thanks, Maestro, works brilliantly :clap:

Great! :) Yes, it seems solid. I finally quit the Integrity check after 4TB were written over a 500GB disk without any errors.

Very nice work! I've updated the boot cd to version 4 and am just testing it by performing a clean install of 10.6.
This should hopefully be it now for the P8P67Pro now that we hopefully have both bluetooth and eSATA sorted.

Assuming the new build installs cleanly I will replace the download link for the original boot cd with the new build.

Wow, my work is going to be on Andy's Boot CD. :) I'm famous!

melquiades said:
I edited my own DSDT and it works for me. THANKS STRADIVARI. The only "problem" is that my ESATA HDD appears as an internal HDD.

Yes, there does not seem to be a way yet to have internal icons for some drives, and external for others. You can use the AHCIInjector to select one or the other, but it applies to all drives. I've found the easiest solution is to simply copy and paste custom icons onto each drive. You could just use the generic internal/external system icons, or you could be creative. Here's mine with all 8 internal drives mounted (Fractal Designs R3 case)

Screen shot 2011-05-23 at 4.28.42 PM.png

pianogineer said:
Did you notice any increase in your Geekbench using the DSDT? I'm considering switching to a Gigabyte since I'm kinda bummed about the seemingly lower scores of the P8P67, and the whole reason I went with it was the onboard Bluetoooth, which doesn't work well with my Magic Mouse anyway!

Nope. It's the same, but pretty respectable, I think. I get 12795 in Geekbench, running a 4.5GHz overclock, 7.1 in Cinebench CPU, 51 FPS in Cinebench OpenGL. I hadn't heard that Gigabyte boards at the same clocks yielded better results. I've been VERY impressed with the P8P67 Pro board. A TON of inputs, all passive heatsinks, nice colour scheme (matches my blue Corsair Vengeance RAM). ;-)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-23 at 4.28.42 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-23 at 4.28.42 PM.png
    452.8 KB · Views: 250

pianogineer said:
stradivari said:
As I stated, the only change in this DSDT is for the Jmicron entries. Everything else is stock. Should be fine if you have a P8P67 Pro board. In case it's not, just be sure you can boot the machine using other means (another boot device) so you can delete the DSDT and restart.

You shouldn't need the other kexts now, to have the JMB362 working through AHCI, although it might still come up as Unknown AHCI. You can keep the kext there, in order to identify it cosmetically. I also checked, and we no longer need to delete the ioPCIClass Match key and string. It is correctly recognized as 01060100 (SATA device).

Did you notice any increase in your Geekbench using the DSDT? I'm considering switching to a Gigabyte since I'm kinda bummed about the seemingly lower scores of the P8P67, and the whole reason I went with it was the onboard Bluetoooth, which doesn't work well with my Magic Mouse anyway!

I think i will move to GB to
GA-H67N-USB3-B3

to get sleep to work, understand that the sleep are something in the bios related to Asus

see
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=20281

Alf

Edit: order: GA-H67N-USB3-B3 :)

AndyStubbs said:
stradivari said:
ajg0r said:
Thanks, Maestro, works brilliantly :clap:

Great! :) Yes, it seems solid. I finally quit the Integrity check after 4TB were written over a 500GB disk without any errors.

Very nice work! I've updated the boot cd to version 4 and am just testing it by performing a clean install of 10.6.
This should hopefully be it now for the P8P67Pro now that we hopefully have both bluetooth and eSATA sorted.

Assuming the new build installs cleanly I will replace the download link for the original boot cd with the new build.
Sweet! I can't wait :)

I just got more hard drives in today (2x 1TB WD Green and a 2TB WD Green) and I will be re-installing OS X and Windows 7.

Thanks again Andy and stradivari!

stradivari said:
Nope. It's the same, but pretty respectable, I think. I get 12795 in Geekbench, running a 4.5GHz overclock, 7.1 in Cinebench CPU, 51 FPS in Cinebench OpenGL. I hadn't heard that Gigabyte boards at the same clocks yielded better results. I've been VERY impressed with the P8P67 Pro board. A TON of inputs, all passive heatsinks, nice colour scheme (matches my blue Corsair Vengeance RAM). ;-)

Yeah... I'm not 100% sure that statement was true either... just my gut feel and one rogue comment made by one guy in the performance thread that similarly clocked Gigabytes are benching better than Asus. I have a standard clocked 2600k (waiting on a new CPU cooler to overclock), and I'm benching at about 11k (64-bit). It's hard to compare as most posted numbers are overclocked, so I'm sure once I start down that road I'll have a better feel for where I stand.

Interestingly sleep works (almost) perfectly for me!

pianogineer said:
stradivari said:

Yeah... I'm not 100% sure that statement was true either... just my gut feel and one rogue comment made by one guy in the performance thread that similarly clocked Gigabytes are benching better than Asus. I have a standard clocked 2600k (waiting on a new CPU cooler to overclock), and I'm benching at about 11k (64-bit). It's hard to compare as most posted numbers are overclocked, so I'm sure once I start down that road I'll have a better feel for where I stand.

Interestingly sleep works (almost) perfectly for me!

How'd you get it working (almost) on our mobo??

stradivari said:
How'd you get it working (almost) on our mobo??

I followed Aznboy1993's guide here: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=18290

1.) Get this SleepEnabler.kext from here (http://www.kexts.com/view/1057-sleepena ... 0.7.1.html).
2.) Put it in Extra/Extensions folder on your root drive.
3.) Run Kext Utility to repair permissions.
4.) Edit your com.apple.Boot.plist to this:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>AtiConfig</key>
   <string>Duckweed</string>
   <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>Kernel</key>
   <string>mach_kernel</string>
   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
   <string>arch=x86_64 pmVersion=23</string>
   <key>Timeout</key>
   <string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>
5.) Reboot and sleep should be working!

Also, just a note on the relative Geekbench's of Gigabyte vs. Asus boards... if you look at Aznboy's guide looks like he's getting 12830 32-bit on a 4.2GHz 2600k, whereas if you look here, viewtopic.php?f=79&t=16648&start=205, Squk shows 14632 @ 4.2 GHz. Obviously just one data point, but just after reading these forums for a few days my gut tells me that is typical.

[edit: sorry Squk's is a 64-bit bench so maybe it's invalid...]

And what I mean by "almost" is that sometimes when I put it to sleep, it wakes back up by itself 30 seconds or so later. It doesn't happen every time, and seemingly only after it's been asleep, and only if I do it manually (as opposed to the OS's timer sleep). I haven't played with it very much so I'm not sure the exact symptoms/causes.

pianogineer said:
And what I mean by "almost" is that sometimes when I put it to sleep, it wakes back up by itself 30 seconds or so later. It doesn't happen every time, and seemingly only after it's been asleep, and only if I do it manually (as opposed to the OS's timer sleep). I haven't played with it very much so I'm not sure the exact symptoms/causes.

Curious. With this enabler can you do "wake-on-LAN"?

EDIT: I tried the SleepEnabler.kext and the addition of the boot flags, and unfortunately sleep is still not working. It tries to go to sleep, but system fans are still running. And nothing will make it "wake up". I have to force restart, and even after the first reboot, it is still kind of "dead". But a second restart wakes it up and it reboots all the way.

Ah well.

EDIT 2: Hmm... I think I (quite stupidly) failed to put the sleepenabler.kext in the right directory (duhh!). I reinstalled it, set wake on PCIe to enabled in the bios, and now I can actually put it to sleep (power light flashes, all fans off), but when I try to wake it, it seems to work, but display never comes back on. It's more than that, though, because when I try to VNC in or share a disk, there is no response. Something's hanging.

EDIT 3: Okay, I can get sleep working perfectly, however only if I disable Turbo. Which means no overclocking. :( And when it WAS working, WOL (wake on LAN) was NOT working, even though I enabled both PCI and PCIe wake features in the BIOS. Hmm...

EDIT 3: Oooookay, I can get sleep working perfectly, with Turbo enabled, however so far only with the "Auto" overclock value (meaning 3.7GHz). Hmmm, again...

EDIT 4: Curiouser and curiouser... I can get sleep working perfectly, with Turbo enabled, with a manual multiplier, BUT... only up to 4.1GHz (multiplier value 41). Anything higher, and it won't wake up. What do you make of that? And still can't get WOL working.

stradivari said:
pianogineer said:

Curious. With this enabler can you do "wake-on-LAN"?

EDIT: I tried the SleepEnabler.kext and the addition of the boot flags, and unfortunately sleep is still not working. It tries to go to sleep, but system fans are still running. And nothing will make it "wake up". I have to force restart, and even after the first reboot, it is still kind of "dead". But a second restart wakes it up and it reboots all the way.

Ah well.

EDIT 2: Hmm... I think I (quite stupidly) failed to put the sleepenabler.kext in the right directory (duhh!). I reinstalled it, set wake on PCIe to enabled in the bios, and now I can actually put it to sleep (power light flashes, all fans off), but when I try to wake it, it seems to work, but display never comes back on. It's more than that, though, because when I try to VNC in or share a disk, there is no response. Something's hanging.

EDIT 3: Okay, I can get sleep working perfectly, however only if I disable Turbo. Which means no overclocking. :( And when it WAS working, WOL (wake on LAN) was NOT working, even though I enabled both PCI and PCIe wake features in the BIOS. Hmm...

EDIT 3: Oooookay, I can get sleep working perfectly, with Turbo enabled, however so far only with the "Auto" overclock value (meaning 3.7GHz). Hmmm, again...

Hmmm bummer. As I said I haven't ventured into overclocking yet, but I'll be bummed if it breaks sleep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back