Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Doggonit! Audio was fine after 10.6.8 upgrade, but after a few days, I've done something that has caused audio not to work. The hardware is fine - it works with the Win7 OS.

I tampered with some MultiBeast stuff, which may have caused the problem. Which MB options should be selected for the Asus P8Z68? Also, how can I clear previous audio settings that may be installed?

Thanks

Do you have Time Machine? You can restore your original set of kexts.

Hmmm, well your board has the Realtek ALC892, so I would start with AppleHDARollback, RealtekALC8xxHDA and if you didn't use a DSDT ALC892. You shouldn't have any VoodooHDA kexts installed nor any of the other non-DSDT Enablers.

Can you retrace your steps on what you might have installed before the audio stopped? Perhaps the Realtek networking kext?

Unfortunately, I didn't notice when the audio stopped working. I've been installing applications and suddenly noticed there was no sound.

Can I just delete the kexts and reinstall audio from MultiBeast?

You can do so, please remember to run system utilities in MultiBeast.

Is the speaker icon in the menu bar greyed out? If not, can you check your physical connections first....is it possible a loose wire or connection? I know you stated it works in Win7...but if the speaker is not greyed out, you should recheck connections and the system preferences to make sure the correct output is selected.

The speaker icon is grayed out. I'm really stumped.
In System Profiler, the 892 shows and it seems to look normal.

I just noticed that in Preferences, there are no Audio Output Devices to choose from. Any suggestions?

Assuming your Codec is Realtek 892 as you and NewEgg report:

Can you check in Extra/Extensions and System/Library/Extensions for audio kexts

Realtek8xxHDA
VoodooHDA...

and any with the form

ALC8xx where xx are numbers. Delete any that are not ALC892

If you use the Realeck8xxHDA + Rollback, you should also have ALC892 if you didn't use a DSDT

If you used VoodooHDA, none of the Reaktek kexts should be installed.

So I suggest removing all of the Realtek OR the VoodooHDA and run system utilities and see if that works. You could check the forums to see which has worked better for your mobo.

It's back. Thanks so much for all of your suggestions and effort. I honestly am not sure what brought it back, as I tried so many things including a PRAM reset. I also started a new install on another partition. And, I unplugged my USB Network Card.

Suddenly, after a reboot, the Speaker icon in the menu is black again. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back