Contribute
Register

Core i5 Temp over 53c... Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-P55M-UD2
CPU
Intl Core i5
Graphics
EVGA GTX 750TI 2GB FTW
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Allright,

I need some help here guys. I've noticed my system cpu fan (i think) keeps on going up in a speed then slowing down, up and down, up and down. Im downloading using Crossover app, it allows me to run my fav "nzb" software - Grabit.

Anyways, my temps are hitting 58c!! when it shows system idle 88%....

Im using an Antec Mini P180 which has pretty good ventilation, i dont feel hot air coming out from the 220mm top fan nor the back fan or anything and i clean the case regularly; the case has dust filters so the inside is pretty darn clean.

Could it be the stock CPU fan :( :( :( what do you guys normally get on heavy loads, this up and down noise from the fan is driving me nuts. o_O

Take a look at the screenshot i took of iStat, also check out this Mac Core i5 Vid, he has like 30c or so!

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jFrfFKj-Es[/VIDEO]

I'm thinking of buying a CPU fan, i have this in mind:
- ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134&Tpk=Arctic%20Cooling%20Freezer%207%20Pro

But i saw in some benchmarks, that its actually a bit louder than the stock core i5 cpu cooler. Is there any other that will drop temps but keep it quiet :) i don't mind paying a bit more.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-25 at 4.43.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-25 at 4.43.05 PM.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 278
Hey- no this is not normal. Make sure you're not running with the wrong files- take a look in my signature under MY EFI, and use the files there. Just back up your current extra folder, delete it, and add mine in there to test. Your fakesmc version is probably the old one- you should get 2 cpu temp readings. Also, you can download and install Temperature Monitor from here. It's a bit more accurate and complete. L
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12381

Let me know if this changes anything. I'm using the stock cooler too- on the same board with temps never out of the 30s. It dips down to 30 at times as well.

1. Make sure you're on the latest bios version- F8
2. Use my files
3. Reboot

Good luck!

Hey tony,

Thanks for the response. I'm afraid to upgrade to F8 lol, i got F6.

I just took a screenshot with the program you recommended. I will take another shot after all the changes...

Oh well here goes nothing, wish me luck! :shifty:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-25 at 9.11.21 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-25 at 9.11.21 PM.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 260
intrus22 said:
Hey tony,

Thanks for the response. I'm afraid to upgrade to F8 lol, i got F6.

Oh well here goes nothing, wish me luck! :shifty:

Good luck- just make sure you load Optimized Defaults upon first bios settings. Then set SATA to AHCI and HPET to 64 bit. ;)

OK :) I survived lol

things seem better now, take a look at the attached screenshot :) :)

Also, i noticed one thing that could've been causing the previous temp spikes. I recall messing with bios back when i installed leopard, i set extremely memory profile to reach 1666 mhz on my mem, i think that automatically overclocked my cpu from 2.66 *what it is now* to 2.87ghz..... Still, it used to show 1666mhz in bios before the changes i made today; but it never showed 1666mhz in "About my Mac"... Weird.

Anyways, thanks again Tony, im up to F8 now and using ur Extras folder with 1 modification :) i enabled graphicsenabler lol.

Oh by the way, In my previous "extra" folder i used to have a bunch of kext under extensions, i noticed urs only has three... Do i need the "NV Enabler 64"?? or any of the other kext i used to have such as - "PlatformUUID.kext, JMicronATA.kext, Null CPUPowerManagement.kext, EvOreboot.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext"...

Thanks. :wave:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-25 at 10.08.28 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-25 at 10.08.28 PM.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 292
intrus22 said:
OK :) I survived lol

things seem better now, take a look at the attached screenshot :) :)

Also, i noticed one thing that could've been causing the previous temp spikes. I recall messing with bios back when i installed leopard, i set extremely memory profile to reach 1666 mhz on my mem, i think that automatically overclocked my cpu from 2.66 *what it is now* to 2.87ghz..... Still, it used to show 1666mhz in bios before the changes i made today; but it never showed 1666mhz in "About my Mac"... Weird.

Anyways, thanks again Tony, im up to F8 now and using ur Extras folder with 1 modification :) i enabled graphicsenabler lol.

Oh by the way, In my previous "extra" folder i used to have a bunch of kext under extensions, i noticed urs only has three... Do i need the "NV Enabler 64"?? or any of the other kext i used to have such as - "PlatformUUID.kext, JMicronATA.kext, Null CPUPowerManagement.kext, EvOreboot.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext"...

Thanks. :wave:

Awesome- you don't need any of those- and the NullCPUPowerManagement was preventing your system from having native Mac power management. My DSDT solves this. If you don't need NVEnabler, you can remove that too- and rebuild caches. Then you're down to the bare minimum. ;)

Thanks for the help, everything seems to be running bit quieter now :) and temps sometimes do reach 50c but thats when i'm using crossover, vmWare fusion, photoshop and music and all that stuff.. Normally they stay in the low 40's and idles at 30's

I will probably buy an low noise cpu cooling fan :)

Mine is like 50*C at idle and when gaming it goes to 64*C ....

what should i do ?

Note: I'm using the fan that came with processor.

Any ideas > im running windows but when I had mac it was about 80*C

Just to add my two cents, the Core i5 chips run very hot with the stock Intel cooler. In an average case with average cooling (rear and side exhaust fans), it's very common to see an i5 idling at 50-55°C on the stock cooler. I've found that the CPU voltage is set pretty high on a lot of the i5's, so lowering the voltage a little bit through the BIOS will definitely make it run cooler. I was able to knock 5-6° off the idle temp on my i5 750 just by lowering the CPU voltage. If you're looking for a more drastic temperature change you'll want to get a good aftermarket cooler and consider adding another fan or two in your case. If you decide to get another cooler, make sure you get Arctic Silver thermal paste with it. The paste that comes with most aftermarket coolers is usually garbage and it's worth it to put the good stuff on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back