Contribute
Register

Custom Mac Mini Attempt: Can Apex Mi-008 power an i5 2500k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Mini
CPU
i5 2500k
Graphics
Intel 3000HD
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey:

I'm thinking of using the Custom Mac Mini as a starting point for a future build. Really interested in the small form factor but have some doubts on the Apex Mi-008, PSU and usng a more advanced CPU.

Will the Apex Mi-008's PSU be enough to power an i5 2500k, 8GB DD3, SSD and HDD?

Could I add a Bluray?

Would all of that fit in there?

And...won't it get too hot?

Without a graphics card and if you don't overclock, it should be fine. Make sure you get a suitable CPU cooler though, as the stock cooler is really noisy.

Afaik, OS X doesn't support Blu-ray for anything but movie playback and that requires third party software.

thelostswede said:
Without a graphics card and if you don't overclock, it should be fine. Make sure you get a suitable CPU cooler though, as the stock cooler is really noisy.

Afaik, OS X doesn't support Blu-ray for anything but movie playback and that requires third party software.

Yea, I would dual-boot with Windows if that would be the case. Would the SSD and HDD fit? What CPU cooler do you suggest?

Are there any other cases you guys recommend? I know the Silvertek is recommended, but I would like something smaller.

thelostswede said:

What about this case?

Antec ISK 300-65 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129068

hi

i am planning to have a similar built as prguy85, using the i5 2500K processor instead of the suggested i3. does anyone have any firsthand experience with this in the meantime?

@prguy85: what case did you use in the end? any success?

thank you!

outsidemunich said:
hi

i am planning to have a similar built as prguy85, using the i5 2500K processor instead of the suggested i3. does anyone have any firsthand experience with this in the meantime?

@prguy85: what case did you use in the end? any success?

thank you!

Still haven't made up my mind. I don't think the Apex will fit optical, SSD, HDD and be cool enough or powerful enough for use. I have read others have used the Custom Mac Mini setup with i5 2500k.

Perhaps the Silverstone is a better case for this, yet it is larger too. If anyone have the Silverstone, is it too big?

I have this system in a silverstone SG05 w/ the i5 2500k. The case size works for me.. All depends on what you plan on doing with it..

It cools really well (Little loud) and the case feels a little flimsy.. But if it's just sitting there who cares..

To be honest, If you can handle a case a little bigger and holds a micro-atx board, that might be a better way if you plan on using the onboard graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back