HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Check this out- Gigabyte is including an SSD on one of their new Z68 boards. The Z68XP-UD3-iSSD has a 20gb ssd attached to the motherboard! According to Engadget, it's gonna be released in June- we'll see what the price is.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/28/giga ... t-have-to/

Is the SSD swappable? The comments suggest that it's a permanent fixture, but that doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT: I see this is a special bundle. The GA-Z68XP-UD3 itself doesn't come with an SSD so you can choose what to put in the slot.

20GB SSD will enable Intel Smart Response Technology, which basically is a fancy name for caching frequently used files from HDD on SSD.

My understanding from reading a review is that you can still use it to accelerate storage even though you may be using an SSD for boot drive, as I'm planning. Interesting, though I'm not sure it's enough to make me pay for. Anybody have thoughts on cost/benefit?

The Z68XP-UD3 itself looks like a nice board, and something I'll keep my eye on. Any thoughts on the board regardless of the bundle? As for the bundled SSD, it might be worth it, if you don't have the $ for an SSD boot drive. Some people have suggested using the 20GB drive as a boot drive. I don't know about that. If you only purchase the board, it's still nice to have the m-sata slot in the future to use for a boot drive and free up a sata port.

Isn't SRT Windows only at this point? Yes, No, maybe so?

Checking out the board on Gigabyte's website, I came across this spec:

1. 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3_0~SATA3_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
2. 4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_2~SATA2_5) supporting up to 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices
* The SATA2_5 connector will become unavailable when the mSATA connector is installed with a solid state drive.

Does this mean that the m-SATA port takes up one SATA port on the board? Does this also mean that the m-SATA is 3Gb/s and not 6Gb/s?

Is this board worth it?

tom.humphrey said:
I've just gone and ordered one of these, has anyone else had any success?

Fingers crossed.
It might work but you will need to enable TRIM support for that SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back