Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] SB Build#4 - SL/Win7 Dual-Boot, 1 HD, Install Lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2
CPU
3.51 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6870 1024 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[SOLVED - SEE MY POST MADE ON 08/03/11 AT 11:17 PM CST]

I'm using the SandyBridge recommended build #4.

I tried to follow the guide for upgrading to Lion with xMove, but I got stuck at the part where you make an additional partition. Disk Utility wouldn't let me make one. I get the error: "Partition failed with the error: Could not modify partition map because filesystem verification failed"

I have 1 internal drive (1TB) and I'm dual booting Windows 7 and SL. I'm assuming I get that error because I have a Windows 7 partition on the same drive?

What's the best way to get upgraded to Lion if you're in my situation with my setup? Should I buy another harddrive? Can I remove the Win7 partition, resize the SL one, then add the 8GB installer partition? And then buy a new harddrive and put Win7 on that? Or something else?

I'm just stuck and need help... thanks very much in advance.

I donated to the site:)

Re: SB Build#4 - SL/Win7 Dual-Boot, 1 HD, How to Install Lion?

nitpick said:
I'm using the SandyBridge recommended build #4.

I tried to follow the guide for upgrading to Lion with xMove, but I got stuck at the part where you make an additional partition. Disk Utility wouldn't let me make one. I get the error: "Partition failed with the error: Could not modify partition map because filesystem verification failed"

I have 1 internal drive (1TB) and I'm dual booting Windows 7 and SL. I'm assuming I get that error because I have a Windows 7 partition on the same drive?

What's the best way to get upgraded to Lion if you're in my situation with my setup? Should I buy another harddrive? Can I remove the Win7 partition, resize the SL one, then add the 8GB installer partition? And then buy a new harddrive and put Win7 on that? Or something else?

I'm just stuck and need help... thanks very much in advance.

I donated to the site:)
Open disc utility and click on your hard drive in the left pane.
Click on the partition button. You should see your Win7 and SL partitions.
The portions of the partitions that are used are usually shaded blue, so your SL partition should show blue at the top and a white field for unused space. If you click on the SL partition, it should show in the fields to the right for name, type and size. Note the size and subtract 8Gb - this is the size you shoot for. Click and hold at the very bottom right corner of the SL partition and roll your mouse upward, watching the size block until you have decreased the SL partition by about 8Gb and let go the mouse button. Click in the newly made blank area and then on the + button at the bottom left below the partition window. You can now name and format a new partition in this area to use for the installer partition.

Re: SB Build#4 - SL/Win7 Dual-Boot, 1 HD, How to Install Lion?

Thanks for your help. I actually figured out what I needed to do, after I tried your suggestion. I don't think what you recommended is technically any different than just clicking the Snow Leopard partition, then clicking the + button, then resizing the new partition to 8GB thereby making the original Snow Leopard partition auto-resize to the biggest possible size.

With your method I still got the same error.

I tried booting from my Snow Leopard DVD (I was going to repair the harddisk from Disk Utility offline since it wouldn't let me to do in OS X), but Chimera kept giving me "EBIOS read error: Device timeout - Block 0x0 Sectors 0". I am able to boot from the iBoot DVD so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to boot from the Snow Leopard DVD. Any idea as to why?

Anyway, so what I did was I booted into Single User Mode from Chimera and ran this command:

fsck -fy

That did a repair I guess and when I booted back into Snow Leopard I was able to partition the drive as described above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back