Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have had several unanswered posts on this forum but have persevered and now have essentially fully functional latest version Snow Leopard and Lion installations (minus two mobo functions I am still working on).
It can be done and the people who have created these tools are to be congratulated. You CAN use the MAC OS on a computer more sophisticated than anything Apple sells at a fraction of the price.
Simple things that worked for me, but it can take a lot of time:
Kernel panic first installing Snow Leopard 10.6 with a 2600k processor: the tools on the Reggi install disc (easy to find on the web) got me past kernel panic easier than others, then Multibeast. You will have to experiment with Multibeast and may trash your install a few times but eventually it works. It is a good idea to clone your install when you achieve a major step because if it is trashed on the next step it is easier to clone back than start all over again. The rboot disc will not alway boot a trashed install.
Do not upgrade to Lion but install Lion in a different partition. Sound is the biggest basic Lion problem as reflected in the many posts here. Through Snow Leopard I deleted the kexts in Lion relating to sound and copied the working ones from Snow Leopard. You have to repair permissions when you boot into Lion and will get occasional warnings about the wrong files but sound works stably for me in Lion. There is no DSDT for my ASUS mobo and if you use a DSDT for a variant of the same MOBO you may trash your install so use the Lion Multibeast no dsdt options. Make only one change at a time and clone at each major achievement (meaning the OS reliably boots and functions always work) using Multibeast options. Lion, at least for me, was significantly more difficult that Snow Leopard to get into usable shape for complex tasks (e.g. monitor calibration and color managed printing in Photoshop).
I boot to the Lion USB key as made here: it only takes a few seconds longer than a boot loader on a hard drive-you can lose EVERYTHING if you screw up the main hard drive boot loader-- but allows me to easily choose between multiple OSES including Windows 7. You can use the variables if you have an issue with a MAC OS. Works for me.
Lastly, I still can not get the Jmicron controller or USB 3 ports recognized by Lion or Snow Leopard. I can live without them but obsessive compulsiveness is what it is.

Lion, at least for me, was significantly more difficult that Snow Leopard to get into usable shape for complex tasks (e.g. monitor calibration and color managed printing in Photoshop).
How did you fixed Photoshop printing?I had this issue few days ago after i installed PS, still had no time to investigate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back