980x
Graphics
r9 290x + 6850
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Just wondering if anyone knows a nice trick for disabling the built in subtitles in an MKV file, using quicktime.

What I usually do is just re-encode the flick in Handbrake, effectively stripping the subtitles and any secondary audio streams. The result is a much smaller file. But this is a rather heavy handed method.

Many MKVs come with an English subtitle which is not hard coded but oddly can't be turned off through the normal "Don't display subs" menu selection.

I need to turn them off so I can put the Chinese subs in instead, (for my wife). Trying to read Chinese on top of English is hard, very hard.

Any thoughts?

rabbit.

rabbit74 said:
Just wondering if anyone knows a nice trick for disabling the built in subtitles in an MKV file, using quicktime.

What I usually do is just re-encode the flick in Handbrake, effectively stripping the subtitles and any secondary audio streams. The result is a much smaller file. But this is a rather heavy handed method.

Many MKVs come with an English subtitle which is not hard coded but oddly can't be turned off through the normal "Don't display subs" menu selection.

I need to turn them off so I can put the Chinese subs in instead, (for my wife). Trying to read Chinese on top of English is hard, very hard.

Any thoughts?

rabbit.

Have you tried VLC? You might find more options for removing subtitling. If i have a MKV file, I usually use VLC anyway, as I'm pretty sure it plays the file natively without live conversion. I find the scrubbing and skipping smoother on this particular filetype. Hope this helps.

If you're playing movies, I might recommend looking into Plex as well, if you haven't already. :)

@Tony

VLC is an awesome piece of software indeed. Unfortunately it does not deal with Chinese subtitles very well and many times not at all.

Quicktime X is the first player I have ever used that gets the encoding of Chinese subtitles correct 90ish percent of the time. Not having to deal with incorrect unicode is a real big plus with Quicktime.

I am guessing that it is Perian that is autoloading the internal subs, so maybe I'll hit their forum for a command line or script to stop the auto loading.

Thanks guys

rabbit.

Finally found a solution.

Open movie in Movist
select from File menu - Open Subtitle Files
Load your sub
Make sure the encoding is correct for your sub, (preferences), and you are good to go.

rabbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back