Contribute
Register

Upgrading my PC to the right configuration parts !

Motherboard
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600X
Graphics
RTX 2070
hello guys ,

i hope you're having a lovely day.
I'm willing to upgrade my pc parts, both psu and gpu for hackintoshing , as i have for now a B450 DS3H ( that i will swap for an intel compatible motherboard later)
as for GPU , i've found on the internet that XFX / MSI are a problematic gpus , allthough in the buyers guide on tonymacx there are a couple of XFX cards ! i'm considering to buy an XFX 6900 XT as its kinda cheap and available in my country , and as saphire and gigabyte partners are hard to find.

buying the XFX that is power hungry , i'll need to get a new PSU , as i have now a 650 W gold from cooler master, how will brend swapping the psu would affect the hackintoshing ? (as i guess no specific kexts are needed) , i'm considering XIGMATEK 1000 W minotaure gold.

thanks in advance !!

i've found on the internet that XFX / MSI are a problematic gpus , allthough in the buyers guide on tonymacx there are a couple of XFX cards !
The only problematic XFX card is the RX 560. Hundreds of people here are using the XFX RX 580 on a daily basis with no problems whatsoever. Dortania posted that statement years ago when many people had RX 560 problems. They mistakenly thought that all XFX cards used the same macOS incompatible Vbios but they don't.

Here's one example, posted just yesterday.
@stator said:
I just purchased and received an XFX RX 580 GTS XXX card. Took out the GTX 760 and put in the RX 580 and powered up. No muss no fuss as it's a OOB card just like the GTX 760. Updating to Monterey now.

Even the newer Navi based cards by XFX will work with newer macOS versions.

I would opt for the RX 6800 or 6900 even if costs a little more. A good long term investment. There will never be support for RX 7000 series cards in macOS so buying the better 6000 series card is a good idea now.

Last edited:
The only problematic XFX card is the RX 560. Hundreds of people here are using the XFX RX 580 on a daily basis with no problems whatsoever. Dortania posted that statement years ago when many people had RX 560 problems. They mistakenly thought that all XFX cards used the same macOS incompatible Vbios but they don't.

Here's one example, posted just yesterday.
@stator said:

Even the newer Navi based cards by XFX will work with newer macOS versions.

I would opt for the RX 6800 or 6900 even if costs a little more. A good long term investment. There will never be support for RX 7000 series cards in macOS so buying the better 6000 series card is a good idea now.
Great relieving answer as usual bro, then i'm going to buy the XFX RX 6900 XT MERC 319 16G , if would be such a pain reliever if sombody has already succeeded on that specific card !
also what about the PSU ? does any psu works just fine ?

also what about the PSU ? does any psu works just fine ?
Get a major name brand. At least 850W minimum and you're good. That is unless you're doing something extreme that will push the system to it's limits. Should be around 90-110 USD. Don't spend extra for a 1000W if it's a general home use system.

Corsair has great customer support if you ever have a failure.

Excellent deal on a ThermalTake PSU if you want an 850W high quality PSU to power a 6900XT.

Last edited:
With your current B450 AMD system the only component that is not macOS compatible is the Nvidia graphics card. Simply swapping that out for a compatible AMD graphics card would save you a fair bit of money.

I have three desktop AMD systems running macOS Ventura and Sonoma with no issues.

You could upgrade your CPU to an AMD 5000 series R7 5800X/5800X3D or R9 5900/5950 for less than the price of the new Intel motherboard and CPU. Any of those 8,12 or 16 core CPU’s would give a reasonable boost to your system, compared to the 6 core CPU you are currently using.

The AMD 5000 series CPU’s are still in production and available new starting at around £180 for the R7 5800X.

You could then add some extra RAM, if needed, to supplement or replace the RAM in your machine. Using higher spec RAM, 128 GB of DDR4 3600 MHz is the top speed RAM your B450 motherboard will accept. Not sure you would ever really need the full amount of RAM it can accommodate.

With your current B450 AMD system the only component that is not macOS compatible is the Nvidia graphics card. Simply swapping that out for a compatible AMD graphics card would save you a fair bit of money.

I have three desktop AMD systems running macOS Ventura and Sonoma with no issues.

You could upgrade your CPU to an AMD 5000 series R7 5800X/5800X3D or R9 5900/5950 for less than the price of the new Intel motherboard and CPU. Any of those 8,12 or 16 core CPU’s would give a reasonable boost to your system, compared to the 6 core CPU you are currently using.

The AMD 5000 series CPU’s are still in production and available new starting at around £180 for the R7 5800X.

You could then add some extra RAM, if needed, to supplement or replace the RAM in your machine. Using higher spec RAM, 128 GB of DDR4 3600 MHz is the top speed RAM your B450 motherboard will accept. Not sure you would ever really need the full amount of RAM it can accommodate.
thanks for the answer.

so for the budget of a brand new XR 6900 XT , i could buy a used RX 6800 plus a R7 5800X. it would have close to none bottle neck.

if you were in my situation , would you buy the RX 6900 XT for future proofing ? or rather chose the second config since it has more performance now rather than thinking about the future ? in my context i use macOS as a daily driver for work (excel , word email and stuff) and windows in gaming (hungry game mainly star citizen). also how much would u suggest for a psu power for the second configuration (upgrading cpu R7 and RX 6800)
thanks !

I would go with the RX 6800 XT for GPU, with the R7 5800X and a 750W or 800W PSU.

Your daily workload won’t see any benefit from using the RX 6900 XT and for this GPU you would need a minimum 850W PSU.

The only difference/gain would be when gaming in Windows with the RX 6900 XT.

Back