Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork

I have a similar build but with an i7 3700K processor and 650Ti video card. Over time it has been upgraded to Yosemite with just Multibeast. Now my question is can I follow the new procedure with Clover and upgrade to El Capitan and install over my Yosemite installation? Or do I have to wipe my drive clean, install El Cap per your procedure and then reinstall my apps?

There are a lot of apps and it sure would be easier to install over the old Yosemite

Best
Ghee_Whiz

Last edited:
I concur with you with respect to a fresh install and reloading all the apps. However, I typically do a fresh install on a new disk drive (SSD) and use Migration Assistant (not checking the other files box, though) to bring over all my apps and my user account.

To upgrade to El Capitan, you can do the fresh install / Migration Asst. route or use tonymacx86's guide Direct Update to OS X El Capitan Using Clover. I've not tried the guide, but, from I've seen, it works for others.

Good luck! ...and have fun! :thumbup:

Stork

Can I use the Migration Assistant when I only have one physical computer case? My understanding is to use the Migration Assistant I have two computers connected with ethernet. In my setup I have only the one box with the new fresh El Capitan SSD Drive, the old Yosemite drive, and a Data drive all on the SATA bus. There is also a Time Machine Backup. Can I use Migration Assistant for my setup? Or do I have to transfer the apps and preferences manually from the Yosemite Drive to the El Capitan drive?

Best,
Ghee_Whiz

Yes, you can use Migration Assistant with the partitions/drives within the same "case." Don't bother with manually moving or Time Machine/Time Capsule backups. MA is much faster disk to disk than over the Ethernet.

Stork

Thank you for the help. I used Migration Assistant and all the apps are working and my El Capitan runs fine. All my settings, preferences, desktop, etc are there and work. Many thanks to you and TonyMac.

There is one problem. My system used to dual boot with Windows 10. Now the Windows will no longer boot. Windows 10 is installed on a separate disk and it used to be that on the boot screen I would hit the up arrow and scroll over to "system reserved" (which had the Windows icon) , hit enter and my computer booted into Windows.

Now with this Clover setup I have a NTFS icon but selecting it the Windows will not boot.

Looking up dual boot in the forums a few posts said for Windows 10 I had to use Clover in Legacy Mode but I think that following the instructions here I am using UEFI mode. Here is where I don't really know what I'm talking about so I hope you can help.

Best,
Ghee_Whiz

I built a version of this build back in 2012 soon after Stork worked through his and posted it. has been running great for a few years now. today i'm running el capitan just fine and everything working acceptably.

i'm looking to do a few things and wondering what i can salvage from this build rather than starting completely from scratch:
1. move to a miniATX type of build, something like a mac mini sized computer. While i like all the power of Stork's build, I live in an apartment and need to find a way to have this machine blend into my living room area and use my TV as my monitor rather than have separate monitors. I have one of the new LG 4k OLEDs that are beautiful as well as one of the new marantz receivers. a full size build like this just takes up too much room and the form factor doesn't really work in a living room type of environment.
2. be able to output video on latest HDMI standards as the rest of my living room equipment is fully set up to pass/run/display 4k, HDR, etc. Not sure if the graphics and HDMI ports in this build allow for that?
3. retain enough power and HD space to do video editing, ideally 4k video but 1080p probably fine given i mostly work with go pro content. i also use sketch up to design furniture and do some amateur home theater room design. i don't/won't do any gaming on this machine - video editing and sketch up will likely be the most taxing things i do on it.

- i imagine my SSDs will be fine to salvage, but not sure if things like the processor or motherboard can be salvaged and squeezed into a small case. what about ram, power supply, etc? i assume i can fit at least one of my larger HDDs into a mini case in addition to an SSD?

do i basically need to start from scratch other than my SSDs/HDDs?

I know a little off topic to this specific build, so my apologies in advance!

Thanks!

I build a HTPC (Home Theater PC) using one of my old P55M-UD2 systems, and it's still running. A case like the Silverstone GD06B, which looks like a faceless audio receiver, will fit nicely into your audio center. You can find newer cases (and, maybe, for less cost) that will take your components, but you'll have to have a small graphics card (like the ITX case type graphics cards) as this case won't take a large graphics card, IIRC.

If you decide you want to upgrade your components, I recommend a mATX motherboard with compatible memory and PSU, not to mention a graphics card that supports 4K HDTV. You will not be able to recycle your memory nor PSU. All the processors since Haswell require memory that's on the motherboard's Memory Support List and a PSU that is Haswell "ready" or "certified" or compatible with 4th/5th/6th generation processors. The reason is Haswell and newer processors have an idle voltage state that is lower than it's predecessors, causing older PSUs (like your Ivy Bridge PSU) to think the system is shutting down. Consequently, the PSU will move into it's shutdown mode.

Memory specifications require Haswell+ specifications, too. Thus, my recommendation to use memory on your new motherboard's Memory Support List (or QVL).

So, your choices are to a) use your Z77 system components with a HTPC like case and, maybe, a newer, smaller graphics card to support 4K screen resolution (HDMI 2.0 or DP1.4), or b) new system components with a graphics card that fits the case and has 4K display capability. I'd try your old components, first, as you know they work - you'll just need a new graphics card.

Good luck!:thumbup:

I build a HTPC (Home Theater PC) using one of my old P55M-UD2 systems, and it's still running. A case like the Silverstone GD06B, which looks like a faceless audio receiver, will fit nicely into your audio center. You can find newer cases (and, maybe, for less cost) that will take your components, but you'll have to have a small graphics card (like the ITX case type graphics cards) as this case won't take a large graphics card, IIRC.

If you decide you want to upgrade your components, I recommend a mATX motherboard with compatible memory and PSU, not to mention a graphics card that supports 4K HDTV. You will not be able to recycle your memory nor PSU. All the processors since Haswell require memory that's on the motherboard's Memory Support List and a PSU that is Haswell "ready" or "certified" or compatible with 4th/5th/6th generation processors. The reason is Haswell and newer processors have an idle voltage state that is lower than it's predecessors, causing older PSUs (like your Ivy Bridge PSU) to think the system is shutting down. Consequently, the PSU will move into it's shutdown mode.

Memory specifications require Haswell+ specifications, too. Thus, my recommendation to use memory on your new motherboard's Memory Support List (or QVL).

So, your choices are to a) use your Z77 system components with a HTPC like case and, maybe, a newer, smaller graphics card to support 4K screen resolution (HDMI 2.0 or DP1.4), or b) new system components with a graphics card that fits the case and has 4K display capability. I'd try your old components, first, as you know they work - you'll just need a new graphics card.

Good luck!:thumbup:

Are you using it as a PVR Stork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back