Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P6T (bios rev 1408)
CPU
i7-920
Graphics
HD 5750
Hey! I've had rolling time machine backups that I've successfully restored to multiple cloned systems I've built over the years .. they've all been Asus p6t boards with i7 nehalem chips.

I've now got my hands on a real Mac pro mid 2010 , quad-core Xeon 2.8ghz (4,1 model - fw800 ports only) and id like to restore my backup to this hardware config.

I booted from my official snow leopard disc, then restored from time machine successfully, however it kernel panics with (see attached) "cpu called /kernel trap" upon boot.

Mac pro specs :
2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 7950 3 GB
1 TB Samsung 870 SSD hard drive via accelsior s PCIe card.

Time machine backup is 10.6.6 and system is 10.6.3 from install CD.

Fyi I've tried migration assistant also, after a clean install. But it k paniced in the final stages and didn't transfer successfully.

Things I've tried :

The system will also not boot into safe mode. It will just hang at apple screen. (If holding key combo)

I've also tried a disk repair by booting from install CD. No change.

- removed a stick of RAM bringing it to 4gb just for boot troubleshooting

I understand the hardware change is quite drastic but I would really like to restore my backup. Is this a good idea ? Can I get some pointers on what this halt means ? Ty !

I'm guessing the unibeast/chimera (sorry it's been a while) bootloader amongst other things in that TM image are prob not sitting well with an official mac ?

Help !

Attachments

• 20230328_052455.jpg
    20230328_052455.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Using Chimera bootloader on a real Mac Pro is not needed. Not sure why you're using it. A Mac is a Mac and a Hack is a Hack. They need to be treated differently. After clean installing from the SL DVD don't use the TM machine /MA restore method from a hackintosh backup. Try the manual method instead.

Last edited:
Using Chimera bootloader on a real Mac Pro is not needed. Not sure why you're using it. A Mac is a Mac and a Hack is a Hack. They need to be treated differently. After clean installing from the SL DVD don't use the TM machine /MA restore method from a hackintosh backup. Try the manual method instead.
I'm not intentionally using these bootloaders, but I wasn't sure if time machine clones these sectors.

What do you mean the manual method ?? Im trying to avoid reinstalling everything.

I'm not intentionally using these bootloaders, but I wasn't sure if time machine clones these sectors.
Would probably be best if @MacMan could explain to you how Chimera/Chameleon works in the Snow Leopard era. That goes way back to about 2010. I'm pretty sure that TM does copy it but wait for MacMan to reply.

If the TM backup is of a hack then the issue is most likely due to an incompatible kext in /System/Library/Extensions.

Also I don't think TM backs up the boot sector.

If Chimera/Chameleon was copied then you would see it's startup screen unless you did silent.

If the TM backup is of a hack then the issue is most likely due to an incompatible kext in /System/Library/Extensions.

Also I don't think TM backs up the boot sector.

If Chimera/Chameleon was copied then you would see it's startup screen unless you did silent.
Ok good to know, thanks !

How can I proceed to troubleshoot the faulty kexts ?? Any info appreciated. Take a look at the picture of verbose output I posted, seems quite vague. I would've posted the log if I could get into safe mode which I can't.

It looks like it halts right after initializing "AppleIntelCPUPowermamagement"

Last edited:
Found a guide on how to remove/backup appleIntelCPU* kexts ... rebooted, now panicking after PFM64 0x100000000 ..

With the new hardware shock, I'm thinking this could be a mess. I'm not one to give up, but after thinking about the time ill have to invest debugging this, and still may end up with a buggy result. I'm thinking maybe it's time to start fresh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back