Contribute
Register

Success! GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 Intel i5-2500 w/ ATI 6950 card!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
i5-2500 Sandy Bridge
Graphics
Twin Frozr II 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
With the help of the main man Tony himself I finally got my build working and it was really quite easy when I stopped trying to be stubborn and force my unsupported video card to work. While I and everyone else should consider this a cheat, I wanted everyone to consider it an option because banging your head against a wall for 2 weeks can give quite the headache.

What I had to do though was do the whole installation process using a different card. I used an old 8800 GT I bought back in '08 . I following the iboot+Multibeast and xMove+Lion installations almost exactly.
1) Installed 10.6.3
2) Ran 10.6.7 combo update (10.6.8 gave constant kp's even using update helper, although admittedly didn't even try it with the older card so it might have worked *shrug*)
3) Before restart ran Multibeast but only used UserDSDT from db here and selected 'System Utilities'. Restart back into 10.6.7
3) Ran Lion install on Master drive
4) Ran Xmove on a 15g partition
5) booted into lion installer partition (w/out iboot) and installed lion on Master drive
6) ran netkas's 6970 package. (netkas.org, 4-5 post down)
7) Switched out my card to the 6950

System profiler recognizes that I have an ATI 6xxx card. I use 3 screens. There are a few issues though that I'm hoping I can eventually figure out.

1) When Lion first boots, the monitor (have a dvi, hmi, and mini-dp plugged in) plugged into the min-dp color is off by a wide margin. It's like looking at an old 80s arcade game while it's booting, alot of garbled colors. My temporarily solution is just to unplug/plug the min-dp monitor back in, and it works like a charm. But it happens after I log in everytime I boot.

2) Sound card. It isn't being recognized. I'm using the onboard audio on the gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 montherboard. It's been low on priorities so just haven't had time to figure it out yet.

3) iTunes causes a KP everytime. Not sure what's going on here. I didn't try it with the 8800, so it's possible it is the graphics. However, Hulu, Justin.tv, and netflix all work fine.

Hope this helps anyone and are awesome enough to throw some suggestions back in my direction.

Thanks!

Moved from User Builds to 10.6 Guides.

User Builds == Confirmed User Hardware Builds and Methods - Template

10.6/10.7 Guides == System Specific 10.6 or 10.7 Guides Based on iBoot + MultiBeast method

Thks for Topic!!
---------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back