Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion is now available for purchase from the Mac App store

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to get it installed just fine on my Early 2009 lifehacker build. Only problem I ran into was using multibeast 4.6 to load audio and networking kexts. I got stuck on the grey boot screen and would not go any further. Booted from the USB drive and ran multibeast 4.4 and everything works great. Thanks for the guide and tools.

download and clean install all worked fine using unibeast thanks Tony

People with success: are you simply installing directly from apple supplied means, or are you using UniBeast?
Installed with UniBeast 1.5

I followed tony mac's directions to the tee,and had no problems whatsoever..The thing people are forgetting is, if you get to the white screen that freezes, just do as they suggest...I just rebooted and used verbose option and it worked!!! I even keep all my apps and programs from my lion...everything went great! just take your time and follow the instructions and you should be fine...and oh by the way, I love Mountain Lion!!!!

Updated: Ga-z68xp-ud3

Success: GA-Z68XP-UD3 (F8), Gigabyte AMD Radeon 6870, Core i7 2600k 3.4mHz
After quite a bit of trial and error the following procedure worked for me.

On my Lion install, purchased OS X 10.8 from the app store
Used Unibeast to make bootable 8GB USB HDD - just followed the instructions
Removed 12GB of 16GB RAM – so 4GB remaining installed (just to be safe, might not matter?)
Removed Gigabyte AMD Radeon 6870 graphics card (had white screen of death with prior attempt)
In BIOS, set Onboard VGA to "Always Enable"
UPDATE In BIOS, under M.I.T., set Real Time Ratio Changes in OS to "Disabled", and Intel(R) Turbo-Boost Technology to "Enabled"
Used HDMI from onboard graphics to Samsung TV for monitor (lousy resolution but good enough to install)
Unplugged all SATA HDD except 500GB (I decided to repurpose my Linux drive for Mountain Lion install)

Booted from USB HDD
At bootloader, used boot flag PCIRootUID=0
Partitioned 500 GB drive, GUID, OSX Extended (journaled) as usual
Installed OS X 10.8
Reboot, again using PCIRootUID=0
Placed downloaded DSDT.aml for my board on the desktop
Installed and ran Multibeast as follows:

- User DSDT (used Tonymac download with no edits)
- 3rd Party SATA
- Audio: ALC8XXHDA and AppleHDA Rollback
- Linux2Mac Network Driver
- Instant Menu
- UPDATE Customization->Boot Options->SSDT->Core I7 (Needed to get CPU to max speed, NOTE: I do not overclock my CPU)
- UPDATE Also installed Motherboard Plugins, AMD Radeon Plugin, and HW Monitor App (so I can see CPU clock speed)

Shutdown
Reinstalled graphics card and RAM modules, plugged in HDD’s, reconnected monitor and network cable
Set boot order in BIOS so that drive with Mountain Lion install is first

Booted up and did not need any boot flags.

Graphics look great (better than Lion) using DVI to VGA adapter and VGA cable. HDMI works as well but does not look great on my monitor
Sound (3.5mm green jack on motherboard) , LAN (wired), Magic Mouse, Microsoft USB keyboard, Apple wireless keyboard…all working properly
Wake from sleep with keyboard input also working
Can boot into my existing Lion or new Mountain Lion from Chimera boot menu
UPDATE - HW Monitor shows CPU cores at idle at 1700 Mhz, and under load frequencies spike to 3500 Mhz. I used free Geekbench download and I get 11,814 score (32 bit mode since I am using trial version)

NOTE: I do not have a wireless LAN card

About this MAC reports:
Core i7 3.51 gHz (not sure why it does not report 3.4mHz)
Mac Pro 3.1

Looks and works great!

UPDATE: I was able to get HD3000 graphics and Airplay Mirroring working by doing the following, which I found in a forum post from Toledo:

Installed new Chimera 1.11 (not sure it matters)
In BIOS, set Init First Display to "Onboard", and set Onboard VGA to "Always Enable" (on my system, HD3000 will not work unless Init First Display is set to "Onboard")
Ran Multibeast and changed System Definition to "Mac Mini 5,1"

Shutdown

Connected monitors to the DVI port (w/VGA adapter) and the onboard HDMI port and rebooted. Note that two monitors are needed here since the system boots up with HD3000 graphics, but once OS X gets to the login screen, the 6870 becomes the primary display and HD3000 displays the 'linen screen'.

I have verified that this works with my Apple TV, and the 6870's DVI (with VGA adapter) and HDMI both work, and the onboard HDMI works as well.

About This Mac now reports "Mac Mini Mid 2011"

Not working: sound through HDMI. Not planning to dig into that (DSDT edits and so on) since I don't really need it for my current set up.

I put all of this into one post hoping that it will help you guys that have a similar build. Good luck.

looks like anyone wanting to buy lion from appstore is out of luck, as they seem to have pulled it... Good thing I bought it a few weeks ago!

I have successfully updatet to Mountain Lion (10.8) but i had some trouble and it takes me like 5 hours till i got it to work.

first i got a kernel panic, something about AppleProfileFamily. I was not able to boot up into ML with any kind of kernel flags, so i took my Lion Backup and deleted the "AppleProfileFamily.kext" from the System/Library/Extensions Folder. Now i was able to boot up into ML.

Then i actualy noticed that most all apple apps (e-Mail, Textedit, App Store etc..) crash, not one was working, so i installed ML a second time, still apps don't launch, so i installed ML a third time and voilla! everything fine now.

Thanks for everything. People & tonymacx86!

My System Specs:
Bootloader: - Chimera v1.11.0
CPU: - Intel i7 960 (3.2 GHz Quad-Core)
MB: - Gigabyte x58a-ud3r rev.2
RAM: - 6GB Corsair
Video: - nVidia GeForce GTS 450 (1GB)
Audio: - External - M-Audio FireWire 410

Running well here on a P55-UD5 with i7870, 8G ram with ye olde Nvidia 9500GT 512MB.

Running well here on a P55-UD5 with i7870, 8G ram with ye olde Nvidia 9500GT 512MB.

Ed...Cmos reset after sleep but I did run RTC patch in MB.
Maybe I shouldn't have:)

Ed (again)
Fixed it by manually deleting AppleRTC.kext and using kext utility to replace that with a snow leopard one.
Worked like a charm!

I guess that's the temporary fix for now until someone comes up with a patch that works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back