Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Motherboard choice for simplest install - Z370 Z390 era?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

I found an ASUS Prime Z370-A ii, with an i7 8700! I'll report back on how it goes, but there is already a successful build with this motherboard so I'm optimistic :)

Update:

I found an ASUS Prime Z370-A ii, with an i7 8700! I'll report back on how it goes, but there is already a successful build with this motherboard so I'm optimistic :)

This seems a good choice. Are you going to use a dedicated graphics card or the CPU integrated graphics?

As I said above, it's taken me years to get up to speed with Clover, so I don't think I can cope with the learning curve for a whole new bootloader etc, but I appreciate the advice, thank you. I won't use the 3rd party USB thing.

Thanks for the link to the USB configuration Beginner's Guide, that is realy helpful! I shall follow that guide. :)
OpenCore is not that hard to understand as you may think: if you understand how Clover works (more or less) and where you put kexts, etc. it's even simpler.
The only itch is that you don't use the same tools, but if you follow Dortania's guide, it's really straight forward.
You mention "fake SMC et cetera, and the Intel ethernet drivers": you use the same kexts with OC except that they go in /EFI/OC/Kexts instead of /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.
Note that even with Clover, VirtualSMC is better than FakeSMC — I've used FakeSMC for years, only to discover that it was the cause of the lag when putting to sleep or shutting down the computer... Even old builds like my Z68 benefit switching to OC. ;)
You could try it first with your current computer.

This seems a good choice. Are you going to use a dedicated graphics card or the CPU integrated graphics?
Thanks! RX 580 is the plan; I have an RX 570 in my current build, and the 580 prices are pretty reasonable just now.

OpenCore is not that hard to understand as you may think: if you understand how Clover works (more or less) and where you put kexts, etc. it's even simpler.
The only itch is that you don't use the same tools, but if you follow Dortania's guide, it's really straight forward.
You mention "fake SMC et cetera, and the Intel ethernet drivers": you use the same kexts with OC except that they go in /EFI/OC/Kexts instead of /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.
Note that even with Clover, VirtualSMC is better than FakeSMC — I've used FakeSMC for years, only to discover that it was the cause of the lag when putting to sleep or shutting down the computer... Even old builds like my Z68 benefit switching to OC. ;)
You could try it first with your current computer.
Thanks for the explanation!

I do find learning new things very time intensive, but I'll have a look at Dortania's guide. As it's going to be my last Hackintosh build, the learning curve of a new set of things seems a lot. If I have trouble with Clover I'll try it though :)

Thanks for the explanation!

I do find learning new things very time intensive, but I'll have a look at Dortania's guide. As it's going to be my last Hackintosh build, the learning curve of a new set of things seems a lot. If I have trouble with Clover I'll try it though :)
The cherry on the cake is that during the transition to OC, if your OS is correctly set up (i.e. needed kexts in the EFI partition, not in L/E ;)), you can occasionally boot from OC on a USB key and most of the time with your working Clover (possibly resetting NVRAM when booting one after the other). This leaves you plenty of time to fine tune your OC's EFI — I've done it that way myself, but I was so quickly convinced by OC that I didn't hesitate for long.
Indeed, I recently booted back to Clover just to check something, without any issue. :thumbup:
Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back