Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Just curious about why some people can see the bios screen without second monitor or "ghost plug".

you need to flash your titan ridge in order to see bios screen on cold boot
but it's not required if you just wanna work in mac os

Sorry, I didn't clarify my situation here. My Titan Ridge 2.0 is flashed version. I had two 5K (LG md5kl), one connected by Thunderbolt, the other connected by DP-type C. First time I connect the Thunderbolt card via M2-PCIE in the M2-2 slot. The system stuck in the ASUS logo screen around 1 min, only completely disable internal Thunderbolt can solve that problem. Second time I swap to M2-1 slot, no more ASUS logo stuck. But both methods never shows the BIOS screen in the Thunderbolt monitor, and only can boot up by monitor or ghost plug.

Thanks anyway. I am still satisfied of it. At least it works.

Sorry, I didn't clarify my situation here. My Titan Ridge 2.0 is flashed version. I had two 5K (LG md5kl), one connected by Thunderbolt, the other connected by DP-type C. First time I connect the Thunderbolt card via M2-PCIE in the M2-2 slot. The system stuck in the ASUS logo screen around 1 min, only completely disable internal Thunderbolt can solve that problem. Second time I swap to M2-1 slot, no more ASUS logo stuck. But both methods never shows the BIOS screen in the Thunderbolt monitor, and only can boot up by monitor or ghost plug.

what DP-type C do you use ?
is it support full 5k resolution or only 4k ?

what DP-type C do you use ?
is it support full 5k resolution or only 4k ?
DP-type C (not Thunderbolt) can only do 4K60 for an LG UltraFine 5K. You can create a custom timing to do 5K39.

Thunderbolt is required for 5K60.

I think the main difference between TR 2.0 and 1.0 is that 2.0 comes with an updated firmware. That said in my opinion the best modified firmware is the one for the Designare Z390 (NVM33) Found here:

I know you are talking about the LG 5k but that said my Apple Studio display only worked right by doing the following:
Modified NVM33 ROM
3-5 Jumper to force Power
USB2.0 wire connected.

When I used the Thunderbolt header it did not work.
When I did not have the USB2.0 wire Connected it did not work.

Maybe with your board this might not be the case but with my z370 TR Rev1 it worked fabulous!

Also you could try using:

It worked for the Studio Display but I liked the TB better maybe it was all in my mind.

DP-type C (not Thunderbolt) can only do 4K60 for an LG UltraFine 5K. You can create a custom timing to do 5K39.

Thunderbolt is required for 5K60.
FIBBR VR Cable, same fuction as Belkin Charge and Sync Cable, but much cheaper. I connected one of my 5k through that cable at the custom timing of 39HZ by SwitchResX.

I think the main difference between TR 2.0 and 1.0 is that 2.0 comes with an updated firmware. That said in my opinion the best modified firmware is the one for the Designare Z390 (NVM33) Found here:

I know you are talking about the LG 5k but that said my Apple Studio display only worked right by doing the following:
Modified NVM33 ROM
3-5 Jumper to force Power
USB2.0 wire connected.

When I used the Thunderbolt header it did not work.
When I did not have the USB2.0 wire Connected it did not work.

Maybe with your board this might not be the case but with my z370 TR Rev1 it worked fabulous!

Also you could try using:

It worked for the Studio Display but I liked the TB better maybe it was all in my mind.
Thx, I will give a try.

Back