Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Today I got my original intended to be a hackintosh machine working. Without much fuzz even :) All because I was missing textmate on my big screen at home :p

Helpful links and guides

Hardware
My setup consists of the following main parts.
  • Mainboard: ASUS P7P55D-E Bios vers. 1404[/*:m:2s4vnw9v]
  • Core i5 760 2.8 GHz CPU[/*:m:2s4vnw9v]
  • ASUS EAH6850 ATI Radeon Graphics Card[/*:m:2s4vnw9v]
  • OCZ Agility2 60GB SSD[/*:m:2s4vnw9v]
  • 8GB Corsair something Ram[/*:m:2s4vnw9v]

**Old ASUS Geforce 7100GS Graphics card, used for installation (maybe not needed)

Notes on the Install
I followed the iboot+multibeast guide from pretty religiously so not many surprises in my install process. I will relate the parts that stuck out for me.

Before I got started I checked the DSDT database for the mainboard and sure enough there was a DSDT for bios vers. 1404 so before I left Windows 7 in the dirt I made sure to flash to this version.

When booting from iboot I used the "-v PciRoot=1" boot setting to get the system to not crash on me. Before I hunted down this solution, I had tried to install with with the 6850 installed. Thinking that the problem was there I changed it out for my trusty old 7100GS.
So I don't know if it is possible to install with the 6850 installed.

The installation of OSX after the initial trouble went like a breeze :)
Updated to 10.6.7 from the combo pack linked to in the iboot+MB guide.

Post installation with MultiBeast 3.4.0 was fairly easy after I had figured out from Beelz' guide which kext's I needed.
For the network card I used Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx Ethernet driver.
For sound I used the conservative choice VoodooHDA 0.2.56

I used the UserDSDT Install option. As the noob I am, the first time I tried installing I didn't get that you are supposed to rename the DSDT file when you put it on the desktop. So now I know that the DSDT file must be named DSDT.aml! :oops:

The graphics card gave me a tiny 2 minute headache, but only a tiny one.
I used MultiBeast to intall the Ati 1.6.32.12 Drivers which I followed with a shutdown/Card install. When I booted I first tried just going with no boot options... black screen fan at max speed followed... Dangit so I tried with all the different boot options with same result. :banghead:
So I went online to these lovely forums to search and quickly I found my answer.
I needed to edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and change GraphicsEnabler to NO
Since I did that, it has been smooth sailing :cool:

Next week I'll be installing my wife's comp with almost the same hardware so I will see if there is more to learn.

Thank you all of you guys who post and ask good questions in here. :clap:

Hope someone finds some of my experiences useful.
Rasmus

estei said:
Today I got my original intended to be a hackintosh machine working. Without much fuzz even :) All because I was missing textmate on my big screen at home :p

Helpful links and guides

Hardware
My setup consists of the following main parts.
  • Mainboard: ASUS P7P55D-E Bios vers. 1404[/*:m:39f956o5]
  • Core i5 760 2.8 GHz CPU[/*:m:39f956o5]
  • ASUS EAH6850 ATI Radeon Graphics Card[/*:m:39f956o5]
  • OCZ Agility2 60GB SSD[/*:m:39f956o5]
  • 8GB Corsair something Ram[/*:m:39f956o5]

**Old ASUS Geforce 7100GS Graphics card, used for installation (maybe not needed)

Notes on the Install
I followed the iboot+multibeast guide from pretty religiously so not many surprises in my install process. I will relate the parts that stuck out for me.

Before I got started I checked the DSDT database for the mainboard and sure enough there was a DSDT for bios vers. 1404 so before I left Windows 7 in the dirt I made sure to flash to this version.

When booting from iboot I used the "-v PciRoot=1" boot setting to get the system to not crash on me. Before I hunted down this solution, I had tried to install with with the 6850 installed. Thinking that the problem was there I changed it out for my trusty old 7100GS.
So I don't know if it is possible to install with the 6850 installed.

The installation of OSX after the initial trouble went like a breeze :)
Updated to 10.6.7 from the combo pack linked to in the iboot+MB guide.

Post installation with MultiBeast 3.4.0 was fairly easy after I had figured out from Beelz' guide which kext's I needed.
For the network card I used Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx Ethernet driver.
For sound I used the conservative choice VoodooHDA 0.2.56

I used the UserDSDT Install option. As the noob I am, the first time I tried installing I didn't get that you are supposed to rename the DSDT file when you put it on the desktop. So now I know that the DSDT file must be named DSDT.aml! :oops:

The graphics card gave me a tiny 2 minute headache, but only a tiny one.
I used MultiBeast to intall the Ati 1.6.32.12 Drivers which I followed with a shutdown/Card install. When I booted I first tried just going with no boot options... black screen fan at max speed followed... Dangit so I tried with all the different boot options with same result. :banghead:
So I went online to these lovely forums to search and quickly I found my answer.
I needed to edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and change GraphicsEnabler to NO
Since I did that, it has been smooth sailing :cool:

Next week I'll be installing my wife's comp with almost the same hardware so I will see if there is more to learn.

Thank you all of you guys who post and ask good questions in here. :clap:

Hope someone finds some of my experiences useful.
Rasmus

Glad to see success with a newer AMD card!!!

Hi estei,

I have the same graphic card as you do. Asus EAH6850. But I wonder if you managed to get multiple displays to work.

I've been doing research for a while now, but this thing is real rocket science!

The following 2 links seemed interesting, but I havent managed to figure this out by myself yet:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... 73937&st=0
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... 78553&st=0

For instance I have no idea how to retrieve my "ACPI-path" and apply this in the suggested ATI6000controller.kext in the second link above.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Harmen

Ah too bad :) Thanks for quick reply

I'm reading now that it's necessary to install windows first in order to retrieve the profile information of your graphic-card in some way.

Im still hoping someone could make it possible for the Asus EAH6850 to work dual screen with a driver without the hardcore rocket-science in the links i've posted above.

Kind regards,

Harmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back