Motherboard
Gigabyte z390 gaming m
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
GTX 1070 Ti
Hello everyone!
Im here to ask advice to update my 1070ti to used 1080ti

My system is Hight Sierra 10.13.6 and after buy new monitonr (Gigabyte M34WQ-EK / ULTRAWIDE 4k 144hz) I noticed that interface been laggy sometimes and game performance is low. My old Gygabite GTX 1070ti 8gb work fine, but i want try to buy used: " Asus rog GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC Gaming 11GB "

The reason why i want to buy used 1080ti is what i don't want to re-install my system because i use this PC for work every day.

Should i update my 1070ti to 1080ti?
Does anyone have experience with replace GTX10xx cards, and is this plug-and-play and no-need to reinstall drivers/system?
Is this vendor Asus rog GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC Gaming 11GB Hackintosh works fine?

I know what old graphics card is risky, but anyway for one month i will save my 1070ti and if i can anytime replace back 1080-1070 its will be good.

First you would be better served buying a compatible AMD discrete GPU for your Coffee Lake system. Any of the supported Polaris or Vega 10 AMD cards will run High Sierra with the native drivers in macOS, if you want to stick with that macOS release. They will also run the latest versions of macOS including the soon to be released macOS Sonoma.

I would not recommend swapping your GTX 1070Ti for a second hand GTX 1080Ti. But if you want to stick with Nvidia and High Sierra, then I would state the following:
  1. The process of swapping the GTX 1070Ti for the GXT 1080Ti is simple, you just physically remove the 107Ti and insert the 1080Ti card.
  2. No need to mess with any drivers or configuration settings (assuming you have already installed the Nvidia Web Drivers).
  3. No need to reinstall macOS High Sierra either.
No idea if the Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti card will work fine. What are you paying for the GTX 1080Ti, if you don't mind me asking. It is impossible to tell from eh information you provided if you are getting a deal or paying over the odds for an old card.

Swapping to the GTX 1080Ti may not solve your current graphics issues.
  • First, because the GTX 1080Ti may have been used and abused/Overclocked by the previous owner (not that they would tell you if they have). That being the case you won't know if any issue are with the 1080Ti or your system, if the same graphics issues start showing when you use the 'new' card.
  • Second, your graphics issues my not be caused by the GTX 1070Ti. There are plenty of other reasons for graphics glitches and issues in macOS.
Same issues are faced when purchasing any secondhand dGPU. You take a chance that the seller is honest with their description and statements.

Back