Contribute
Register

[GUIDE]Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R(Rev2.1) Working SL+W7 Dual Boot!

Was this Helpful?Everything works?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Samsung NP300E5C - S04GR
CPU
Intel Core i5 3210M
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GT 620M
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
EDIT: This is an old guide with my previous PC.I made a new and very simple but helpful guide for my new system based on ASUS P7P55 LX.Check my Signature.

MAC OS X SL

Hello everyone,i managed to make my Computer to run Snow Leopard 10.6.6 and i'd like to share it with you.Everything worked for me Out of the box except the sound and sleep,haven't found the solution yet for the sleep but wait for an update.Before i continue,i'd like to thank the people that helped me solve the problems i had during the installation.
|Karacho| for the tip on booting to the installation and
|Going Bald| for the sound fix

Computer Specs:
MB:GA-P35-DS3R
Graphics:ATI Radeon HD 4870
Processor:Intel Core2Duo e6600

First of all take a look at "tonymacx86's" known guide "iBoot+Multibeast".You will be based on this guide.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html

iBoot Legacy was the one that worked for me so download it and burn it to a CD or DvD

Public/iBoot-Legacy.zip

We are ready to begin!

First of all use only wired USB keyboard+mouse.Do NOT use PS/2 cause it will cause you problems during the installation.(thanks karacho).
Enter BIOS settings by pressing "delete" on boot and follow the instructions on "iBoot+Multibeast".Reboot.
Insert the "iBoot Legacy cd and press F12 to boot from CD(if you haven't change the boot priority from BIOS).
At Chameleon eject iBoot Legacy and insert the Mac OS X SL Install DvD.Wait few seconds and press F5.
Now this is where my setup stucked.After pressing F5 you will see the CD titled "Mac OS X"
Run it with the following options:

-x PciRoot=1

You should have no problems.
After you enter the setup choose language and before installing DO NOT forget to go to "Disc Utilities" and Partition your hard drive (GUID Partition Table from options)into two partitions.First one name it Snow Leopard and make sure it's "Mac OS Journaled".
The other one name it W7 and make sure it is MS-DOS(FAT32)
After Partitioning move to the installation and on Hard disc destination prompt,choose Snow Leopard.Do Not proceed yet,make sure you deselect everything from the Customise option(Left Corner).The setup should start with no problems.

After the setup finishes,click restart.1)Eject SL DvD 2)Insert iBoot Legacy again.
At Chameleon window now,select the Hard Drive Named Snow Leopard and boot with

-x PciRoot=1

Again.Finish the setup,fill the informations and enter into Mac OS X.
Now,following the "iBoot+Multibeast" guide we need to Download the Combo Update and Multibeast.
Links:
Multibeast: Public/MultiBeast.zip
10.6.6 Update: http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL13 ... 10.6.6.dmg

After downloading finishes,Open Multibeast but do not proceed yet.
Mount combo update and run it.When the 10.6.6 update finishes it will ask you to restart.DO NOT RESTART

Switch to Multibeast now.I will tell you now which one we need to tick,i will also provide a Screenshot.Since everything worked for me out of the box,i was only missing the sound and some other basic fixes.

I didn't use a pre edited DSDT.

This is what you need to tick:
-EasyBeast Install
>System Utilities(Rebuild and Repair)
>Drivers&Bootloaders
>Kexts&Enablers
>Audio
>Realterk ALC8xx
-ALC8xxHDA
-AppleHDA Rollback
>Non-DSDT HDAEnabler
-ALC885/889
>Miscellaneous
-FakeSMC
-IOUSBFamily Rollback
-Voodoo PS/2 Controller(If you are going to use PS/2 Keyboard or Mouse)
>Bootloader
-Chameleon 2.0 RC5-ATI Experimental(The second.I used this one because i have ATI G.Card.If you don't have ATI,i think the third one-Sandy Bridge-Will work for you,but you should also read the Descriptions.)
>Customization
>Boot Options
-PCI Root ID Fix for Chameleon

You need to click Graphics kexts from Multibeast if Snow Leopard install doesn't recognize your card.As i mentioned mine worked Out of the box but yours may differ.

This is it.click continue and let it install.after few minutes it should finish.Restart.
Everything should be working now.You should boot up without iBoot Legacy.

WINDOWS 7 DUAL BOOT!!
OK now that your Mac OS is working perhaps you need to have dual boot W7.I recommend 64 bit version.This is piece of cake only one part is tricky.Boot from W7 64-bit DvD,and enter the setup.I believe everyone knows how to install Win7 so i will only tell you that you maybe need to format the hard drive named W7.DO NOT TOUCH THE Snow Leopard DRIVE!!

After the W7 setup finishes You will boot to W7.You will not have the option to boot to Snow Leopard.Do NOT Panic,we need a program to fix this.

Download a freeware called EasyBCD: http://neosmart.net/downloads/software/ ... 02.0.2.exe

And follow the guide on this guy here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5mkvygwj9o

This is it.You should be able to boot between the OS easy and everything should work like a charm.Thank you for reading this guide and if you have any questions i will answer as soon as possible.

Edit:For EasyBCD Settings look picture and select "MBR" not "EFI (Default)"

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,591
  • aaa.png
    aaa.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,471
Hi megolas, i've tried your method but somehow it didn't work out as expected.

First problem encountered: After installing SL, i tried to install Win 7 on the WINDOWS partition(FAT32) but it says that it could not be installed in that partition.

- so i format that partition and it was able to install.

Second problem encountered: After installing Win 7 and EasyBCD 2.02 and added the extra entry for SL, i tried booting and got BOOTMGR is missing error.

I'm suspecting it might be that i formatted the partition which caused this error. Do you have any solution that could help me out?

Konxichigo said:

First problem encountered: After installing SL, i tried to install Win 7 on the WINDOWS partition(FAT32) but it says that it could not be installed in that partition.

Second problem encountered: After installing Win 7 and EasyBCD 2.02 and added the extra entry for SL, i tried booting and got BOOTMGR is missing error.

I'm suspecting it might be that i formatted the partition which caused this error. Do you have any solution that could help me out?

No,it's not because you formatted the partition,you did right,you had to format to NTFS not Fat32 otherwise you can't install W7.The problem is on the options of EasyBCD,i had a problem also in the beggining but i figured it out after.Download the latest EasyBCD.I will upload a picture of the settings as soon i get home because i'm writing from school.if you did install SL and W7 and everything worked good,and only problem is the booting to SL,then it has to be that certain setting on EasyBCD.Standby for the picture.

Konxichigo said:

I Uploaded a picture with the EasyBCD add new entry settings.You should check it.

Thank you so much bro, just another question. Is it possible if i install SL on another drive instead of the drive with my windows in it? I tried it twice but it didnt seems to work. Not sure if its my wrong settings for EasyBCD..

Thank you in advance.

Konxichigo said:
Thank you so much bro, just another question. Is it possible if i install SL on another drive instead of the drive with my windows in it? I tried it twice but it didnt seems to work. Not sure if its my wrong settings for EasyBCD..

Thank you in advance.

It IS possible to do this.I myself haven't tried it yet,i will try it tomorrow since i'm getting new parts.If you would like to wait for my answer then standby.But i'm sure you will find the answer here in the forums somewhere :)

Finished my exams and I gave the dual boot a try. I encountered some issues installing Windows afters I installed my SL, I had to remove my SL drive before I could install Windows.

After installation, I configured EasyBCD but it gave me a "Chain booting error". Not sure what is wrong here...did yours work out fine?

Konxichigo said:
Finished my exams and I gave the dual boot a try. I encountered some issues installing Windows afters I installed my SL, I had to remove my SL drive before I could install Windows.

After installation, I configured EasyBCD but it gave me a "Chain booting error". Not sure what is wrong here...did yours work out fine?

Sorry i haven't answered for a long time.EasyBCD method won't work with two Hard Disk Drives.What EasyBCD does is to manage the partitions and the boot sectors inside the Hard Drive,enabling the boot option.I haven't tried yet(still),i won't do it since i'm covered with one drive,but you should do a little research i think you will find something :)

Thxs.. Worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back