Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

macOS Sonoma Installation Mini-Guide:

Quick question: am I right in saying that, you can more or less upgrade to Sonoma with a fully working up to date OpenCore with the new kernel patches, and then fix the WiFi/Ethernet issue after installation?

Quick question: am I right in saying that, you can more or less upgrade to Sonoma with a fully working up to date OpenCore with the new kernel patches, and then fix the WiFi/Ethernet issue after installation?
Yes, but our Broadcom WiFi modules are not supported in Sonoma. OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) provides a method to overcome this problem, but I am not familiar with it and hence cannot provide support for it.

Hello @CaseySJ
Here I am again with another question that perhaps you can help me with! :) If you look at the photo, you'll notice something interesting. I have 2 graphics cards, an NVIDIA 3080 on GPP8 (PCIeSlot1) and an AMD 560 on PCI slot 2, GPP9. Is there a way to completely power off GPP8 so that the NVIDIA card on GPP8 is neither seen nor initialized? Currently, I am simply using "disable-gpu" on PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0), but as you can see, it's not sufficient because if my monitors turn off automatically, the main monitor where the NVIDIA card is connected via DisplayPort switches and ends up on that OpenCore loading screen (since at boot, the BIOS loads OpenCore until the NVIDIA on that port turns off!). In my opinion, if GPP8 were turned off from the beginning, it might prevent the monitor from staying active.
Is there anything that can be done about it in your opinion? Maybe through ACPI. I've looked into DSDT a bit, but there's little to nothing about the GPP8 port, and the only SSDT associated with GPP8 is SSDT-6.aml (ArticDGP), which I've already tried dropping without success.

photo_2023-10-17_12-48-15.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-17 alle 12.52.51.png

Last edited:
** Microphone Input Working on AMD Ryzen -- First Time Ever **
Tested and confirmed on Gigabyte B550 Vision D

All the juicy details here on AMD-OSX forum:

Update:
  • We convinced the author to file a pull request so here's hoping this gets into the standard build
View attachment 575366
Hey CaseySJ,

I have an ASUS B550 ProArt. I have Sonoma installed and trying to get hot plug Thunderbolt to work. I tried your Gigabyte B550 SSDTs but its not working. My addresses look the same, but I must be missing something. Please see IOreg attached.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20231207_142028.jpg
    20231207_142028.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 6
Hey CaseySJ,

I have an ASUS B550 ProArt. I have Sonoma installed and trying to get hot plug Thunderbolt to work. I tried your Gigabyte B550 SSDTs but its not working. My addresses look the same, but I must be missing something. Please see IOreg attached.
Thank you!
Hello @BigHack,

Because this motherboard has Thunderbolt 4, hot plug will not work. We haven’t found a solution thus far.

If Thunderbolt hot plug is essential, a flashed GC-Titan Ridge add-in-card has a high chance of working.

Thank you for your time

** UPDATE **

EFIClone.sh in my GitHub repository is now compatible with SuperDuper! 3.8. Please read the entire post below before using.

This script is used by both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper! to automatically clone source EFI partition to destination EFI partition. Its use is optional.

Last edited:
** WARNING: macOS Sonoma 14.4 **

If you plan to install the Sonoma 14.4 public beta, please make a full bootable backup first. This version of macOS has been very troublesome in my experience, as follows:
  • Designare Z390 -- installation completes, but system crashes and reboots after login screen
  • Asus Z690 ROG STRIX mini-ITX -- installation fails and returns to 14.3
  • Asus X670E Gene (AMD Ryzen) -- installation fails and returns to 14.3

UPDATE:
Thanks to this post by @AmigaOS, we can install 14.4 after doing this:
  • Set SecureBootModel to Disabled (not default)
  • Disable all WiFi kexts if any
  • Disable all Bluetooth kexts if any
When installation is done we can re-enable SecureBootModel and the kexts, but AirportItlwm should remain disabled until a patch or new version is released!
Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 9.10.37 AM.png

Last edited:
Back