ATI Radeon HD 5770
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

Just thought I post my experience on getting my Shuttle SH55J2 successfully working with OS X 10.6.6. I noticed a few people stating that they did this as well but thought it was worth mentioning how easy this system was to get up and running - especially with the latest 10.6.6 update.

This is my first Hackintosh, so I wasn't that familiar with the install process. I was actually quite surprised on how quickly I got the system up though. That being said, there were a few hiccups along the way and hopefully anyone else trying to set up a similar system can use this info to help them along. I started researching this SH55J2 project when I first saw a post on InsanelyMac from "pylonman" getting this system working. Thanks for the help.

I'm mainly a Mac user and was interested in building a fast machine for ripping Blu-ray disks out to high quality files for the Apple TV. At this point I haven't finished doing any intense benchmarking, but this system is about 80% faster than my quad core 3GHz Mac Pro. Using HandBreak as a test app, this new system just kills my Mac Pro. I couldn't be happier with the end result. Not to mention it was about a third, or maybe quarter, of the cost of my Mac Pro. With this setup I have a Dual Boot Mac/Win7 machine. Everything works and runs like a champ. Thanks to Tonymacx86 and others for their time and knowledge - this was a great project.

Setup for SH55J2 Shuttle System for 10.6.6.

Hardware:
• Shuttle SH55J2
• i7-870 2.93GHz processor
• 8GB 1333 Memory
• Radeon HD 5770 - PowerColor AX5770
• Blu-ray/DVD/CD Drive - LITE-ON ihes108-29
• USB Wireless - Asus USB-N13 Wireless USB adapter
• Two 750GB WD Hard Drives
• Built-in 4-in-1 Card Reader
• eSATA/USB Combo Port

Info:
Follow Lifehacker Steps - How to Build a Hackintosh Mac and Install OS X in Eight Easy Steps
- This was very helpful and ended up being mostly correct for my Shuttle setup. There were difference through, so stick to my guide.
http://lifehacker.com/5672051/how-to-bu ... easy-steps

Make BIOS adjustments for Shuttle:
Make changes as follows…
- Advanced - IDE Configuration - SATA Mode - select "AHCI"
- Advanced - Power Management Configuration - Suspend Mode - select "S3 (STR)"
- Advanced - Power Management Configuration - Restore on AC Power Loss - select "Power On"
- Boot - Boot Device Priority - 1st should be DVD Drive, 2nd should be your Hard Drive

Install:
• You can follow this guide for the gory "How To" details.
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html

• Some say to install with only 4GBs of RAM initially - I had all 8GBs during the entire install.

• Boot with iBoot - Eject disk and put in SL Disk - proceed with install - Reboot
- Some say the install will fail at the end of install - mine didn't.

• Boot into iBoot - Boot your newly installed SL install - run 10.6.6.combo updater.
- Don't reboot at end of 10.6.6 update.
- Install the MultiBeast Package - only install Easybeast and VoodooHDA 2.56 audio.
- Reboot.
- Everything should be working except for Ethernet and Sleep Mode.

• Ethernet - get driver here - run installer.
http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrt ... river.html

• Sleep - get SleepEnabler here - seems to work fine in 10.6.6 after editing the com.apple.Boot.plist file. I was getting a KP before editing this file.
http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enab ... etail?id=5
- Edit the com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder for the "Sleep Enabler" compatibility.
- edit string "arch=i386" to "arch=i386 pmVersion=21"

such as...
- <key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386 pmVersion=21</string>

• Reboot - Everything should be working. That includes my wireless USB card, the memory card reader, USB slots, eSATA/USB Combo Port and all controls on the Apple keyboard - like eject and sound.

Enjoy your new Mac.

Thoughts:
This system just rocks. The i7 is fast - really fast. I'm running this as a dual boot Mac/Win 7 x64 system. Activity Monitor in OS X definitely shows all 8 cores and HandBreak definitely takes advantage of them all. I'm seeing big gains in my video rips.

The Radeon HD 5770 screams - need more testing.

I also cloned the SL install onto an external USB Hard Drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. This allows you to easily boot an OS X system in case of an emergency to access the hard drive that may no longer boot. I also cloned the hard drive to a disk image with CCC in case I wanted to easily clone the image back to the hard drive and start over with a good install. You could also use TimeMachine as well if you had to do a restore.

Feel free to email me with questions.

I am glad that you had so much success in getting your SH55J2 working so well. I was curious, do you plan to allow your PCI slot to lie fallow? I was talking to another Shuttle hackintosh enthusiast about potentially adding USB 3.0 to a SH55J2 through the PCI slot. We thought a single slot 5770 (such as XFX produces) and a PCIe to PCI adapter might be just the trick to allow you to install a low profile USB 3.0 card or any other PCIe card you may care to use. In my opinion USB 3 would greatly increase the life and utility of the SH55J2. Frankly, I don't quite understand why they installed a PCI vs a PCIe slot. Here is the link to the adapter.
http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?936354_g10e

Hi,

My Radeon HD 5770 blocks the PCI port, so I don't have access to that slot. I just installed an External eSATA Slot Plate off the back - running to one of the eSATA ports on the motherboard. This at least gives me eSata off the rear of the Shuttle.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200111

Could I bother you to swing through viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7011&start=10 and look at those two photos and see if there is anything jumping out at you as to why my Shuttle (SX38P2 core2quad ATI 5750 and nvidia 9800) cannot be iBoot'ed?

I'm not adverse to rebuilding another Shuttle for this but would like to leverage the hardware I already have. Thank you for posting information about your Shuttle configuration regardless, very appreciated.

Hi inc,

Not sure - Some thoughts...

Do you have the SATA mode set to AHCI in the bios?

Bios changes I made for the Shuttle…
- Advanced - IDE Configuration - SATA Mode - select "AHCI"
- Advanced - Power Management Configuration - Suspend Mode - select "S3 (STR)"
- Advanced - Power Management Configuration - Restore on AC Power Loss - select "Power On"
- Boot - Boot Device Priority - 1st should be DVD Drive, 2nd should be your Hard Drive

Have you ever successfully booted this build?

Scott

Yes, my BIOS settings are correct. I am using Windows 7 and various Linux distributions with a lot of success. For some reason nor iBoot or any other bootloader CD I've tried will boot a Snow Leopard 10.6.0 disc on this hardware.

It's very weird. I was able to one-shot an install onto a Dell Optiplex of all things with the same nvidia 9800 I tried on my Shuttle SX38P2 so I'm certain the video card is well supported.

Oh well, I may go with a setup like yours, though I may opt for a different CPU.

Moved thread to The Build > Installation > Installation Guides.

OP detailed successful build rather than request installation support.

I have a similar setup to yours, but the load screen hangs, in -v shows a hang on ACPI and something to do with a SAM controller or SM Bus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back