Contribute
Register

Booting Successfully From USB Port Not From Internal Sata Port

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490-Creator 10G
CPU
i9 > Need full CPU model name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
RX 580
I have successfully created a Sonoma bootable drive. I can boot it successfully through a USB port without any issues (meaning without any installer; I have successfully copied the EFI to the actual new Sonoma bootable drive).

When I connect the drive through my internal data port the drive would not successfully boot. I can see the drive on my boot picker and select it but it does not boot after going into a loop.

Here are the other things:

My previous bootable drive loading Big Sure loads without a problem from the internal sata drive.

The previous Big Sure drive is automatically selected on the boot picker and that previous Big Sur bootable drive boots without any problems. I conclude from that that the EFI partition on the Big Sur boot drive is correctly configured, why would it otherwise boot without a problem. (I have disconnected any other media that may have any EFI partition.)

When I try to boot the Sonoma drive from the internal Sata data port (at such internal SATA port where I connected the previous OC Big Sure bootable drive), I get icons on my boot picker different form when I boot that drive from a USB port.

This leads me to believe that when I connect my Sonoma bootable drive to the internal data port, the BIOS is loading a different EFI configuration than the one on the Sonoma bootable drive, somehow perhaps looking for my previous Big Sur EFI that may have been stored on the sytems's NVRAM (since any other media storing an EFI partition has been disconnedted).

I have disconnected any drive that has an EFI partition when I try to connect my Sonoma bootable drive from the internal SATA port. So the only EFI visible to the system is the one in my successful (from a USB connection point of view) Sonoma bootable drive.

Is it possible that my NVRAM is storing my previously loaded EFI partition trying loading that EFI instead of the EFI on the Sonoma bootable drive connected? Can you please help me shed some light on what is going on here? Do I need to flush the NVRAM (in which case I cannot return to go back to my previous Big Sur bootable drive if this Sonoma bootable drive cannot be connected to the internal Sata port)?

I spent a lot of time on this issue. I would be grateful if anyone could proved help. Thanks!

I have successfully created a Sonoma bootable drive. I can boot it successfully through a USB port without any issues (meaning without any installer; I have successfully copied the EFI to the actual new Sonoma bootable drive).

When I connect the drive through my internal data port the drive would not successfully boot. I can see the drive on my boot picker and select it but it does not boot after going into a loop.

My previous bootable drive loading Big Sure loads without a problem from the internal sata drive.

The previous Big Sure drive is automatically selected on the boot picker and that previous Big Sur bootable drive boots without any problems. I conclude from that that the EFI partition on the Big Sur boot drive is correctly configured, why would it otherwise boot without a problem. (I have disconnected any other media that may have any EFI partition.)

When I try to boot the Sonoma drive from the internal Sata data port (at such internal SATA port where I connected the previous OC Big Sure bootable drive), I get icons on my boot picker different form when I boot that drive from a USB port.

This leads me to believe that when I connect my Sonoma bootable drive to the internal data port, the BIOS is loading a different EFI configuration than the one on the Sonoma bootable drive, somehow perhaps looking for my previous Big Sur EFI that may have been stored on the sytems's NVRAM (since any other media storing an EFI partition has been disconnedted).

I have disconnected any drive that has an EFI partition when I try to connect my Sonoma bootable drive from the internal SATA port. So the only EFI visible to the system is the one in my successful (from a USB connection point of view) Sonoma bootable drive.

Is it possible that my NVRAM is storing my previously loaded EFI partition trying loading that EFI instead of the EFI on the Sonoma bootable drive connected? Can you please help me shed some light on what is going on here? Do I need to flush the NVRAM (in which case I cannot return to go back to my previous Big Sur bootable drive if this Sonoma bootable drive cannot be connected to the internal Sata port)?

I spent a lot of time on this issue. I would be grateful if anyone could proved help. Thanks!
you should always reset nvram when you make any EFI changes

you should always reset nvram when you make any EFI changes
Resetting the Nvram did not help. There must be something else that prevents the bootable disk from correctly loading from the SATA port vs the USB port. It appears to be loading the wrong EFI partition (but not so when booting from the USB port). Very strange. Any thoughts? Could it have to do with the security protection in Sonoma? Vault etc?

Resetting the Nvram did not help. There must be something else that prevents the bootable disk from correctly loading from the SATA port vs the USB port. It appears to be loading the wrong EFI partition (but not so when booting from the USB port). Very strange. Any thoughts? Could it have to do with the security protection in Sonoma? Vault etc?
if you think it is booting from a wrong efi partition, then remove all drives apart from the drive you should be booting from

if no joy, then boot using your usb installer, mount efi from usb then copy the efi folder to your desktop

then remove usb from computer, mount hard drive efi and then copy over the efi folder to the efi partition, making sure to remove any efi folder from your main hard drive efi partition first

Last edited:
I am attaching the log file somehow pointing to errors with boot-signature and boot-mage-key. I do not know if this points to the error.

Attachments

• opencore-2024-03-31-120434.txt
    256 KB · Views: 8

Hello,
Here is how i do things :

Prepare a new USB 2.0 installation stick.

Make a note/photos/etc of the actual environment (BIOS, cables, slots, settings, etc)
Phisically remove the WORKING storage(s) (SATA, nvme ).

Insert the new/spare storage (SATA, nvme) in the proper port.
Re-check the BIOS settings ( boot options)
Insert the USB2.0, start the procedure to install the new OS (Sonoma).
Test. Test. (Test).
Reset nvram whenever EFI's item are modified.

This way, you have no interferences between storages ( their EFIs are un-related )

Later, you may try to re-add the original WORKING storage.

So, here there is no such thing as "internal(SATA? Nvme?)/external(USB)" port.
============

Always, when installing an OS, you should keep only the necessary parts related to that specific installation.
This is also true if you have a previous/future Windows/Linux installation.

============

Walk this way and your pain should be 0.

Of course, if you want to study/tinker ( I do this too ) your "problem" is interesting ...
For these cases, I have a second PC which supports anything (build/test/break).

Cheers :)

I have successfully created a Sonoma bootable drive.
PLEASE DON'T TYPE YOUR THREAD TITLE IN ALL CAPS. VERY ANNOYING.
It implies you are shouting to get attention.

Screen Shot 8.jpg

Now that you got the message I'll change it for you. THX.

PLEASE DON'T TYPE YOUR THREAD TITLE IN ALL CAPS. VERY ANNOYING.
It implies you are shouting to get attention.

View attachment 580735
Now that you got the message I'll change it for you. THX.
Thank you. I was not aware of this.

What could be the reason that the same bootable drive would use a different EFI when booting from the SATA port than from a USB port?

Where could the older EFI be stored that will get used when booting from a SATA port?

Could it have to do with an APFS Snapshot?

Is an older EFI stored somewhere in NVRam that only gets triggered when booting from a SATA port?

I spent quite some time on this issue but could not find any solution for this mysterious issue. Would be grateful if anybody could provide a hint to the solution. Thanks.

What could be the reason that the same bootable drive would use a different EFI when booting from the SATA port than from a USB port?

Where could the older EFI be stored that will get used when booting from a SATA port?

Could it have to do with an APFS Snapshot?

Is an older EFI stored somewhere in NVRam that only gets triggered when booting from a SATA port?

I spent quite some time on this issue but could not find any solution for this mysterious issue. Would be grateful if anybody could provide a hint to the solution. Thanks.
i already mentioned above what to do

Back