Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I think the bugs have settled down, we've come a far way from the abomination that was 2204. I wouldn't necessarily say one needs to upgrade beyond 2103 and NVM31, I only did it to test whether I could use USB4 enclosures with the system, as NVM31 wasn't working.

Based on my initial testing of 3401, it seems fine for my use case, but of course your mileage may vary with your specific equipment.
Did you happen to test the OWC Express 1M2? I have not managed to get it recognized on my system using the current NVM31. The enclosure cooks on the newer M-Series Macs. On a real 2019 Mac Pro it is recognized, but at about half the speed of the M-Series Macs.

Hi CaseySJ;

Some weeks ago, thanks to your valuable shared experience and know-how on the Asus ProArt Z690 Creator, I decided to upgrade my Aorus Z490 Elite AC to that ProArt Z690. Everything works flawlessly, even Thunderbolt hot plug, (I'm using the ACPI file SSDT-THB4-RP05.aml,) I've just got a question, though. Do you know why some times the Thunderbolt/USB 4 SMBUS info is listed in System Information and most of the times it doesn't? Thanks for any help you can provide...
Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 5.55.45 p.m..png

Hi CaseySJ;

Some weeks ago, thanks to your valuable shared experience and know-how on the Asus ProArt Z690 Creator, I decided to upgrade my Aorus Z490 Elite AC to that ProArt Z690. Everything works flawlessly, even Thunderbolt hot plug, (I'm using the ACPI file SSDT-THB4-RP05.aml,) I've just got a question, though. Do you know why some times the Thunderbolt/USB 4 SMBUS info is listed in System Information and most of the times it doesn't? Thanks for any help you can provide...View attachment 581813
My limited impression of this is that it appears once “active” with an attachment at startup, but not fully described when not.

My limited impression of this is that it appears once “active” with an attachment at startup, but not fully described when not.
Thank you for your input. I'm doing some tests around it to better understand how it works. I'll write my finds later on. Thanks..

Hi @CaseySJ ,

Because you are a very bad guy :)) ), you recently made me dive again in the hackintosh pool with a new build, an AMD CPU based one. Mainly for the fun!

Although I have, on purpose, chosen a relatively "basic" setup, I just discover that this second machine is more powerful that my Z490 Vision D, build up a few years ago (and this is finally quite logical) !

So what to do now that my old veteran Z470 is pushed by the latest newcomer and may have to retire soon :) ? :cool:

Would you recommend to move on with this build (Asus Z690ProArt Creator) or to further investigate AMD scene?
Is it "safe" to have only AMD machines or Intel must be part of the game? When "real Mac is needed I have a MBP M1 14".

Thanks again for your valuable input...
BTW I have an unsolved question on the AMD forum, if you pass by and have some idea, everyone is failing to find and solve the issues!
Thanks again...

Hi @CaseySJ ,

Because you are a very bad guy :)) ), you recently made me dive again in the hackintosh pool with a new build, an AMD CPU based one. Mainly for the fun!
Yes I am horrible! :)

Although I have, on purpose, chosen a relatively "basic" setup I just discover that this second machine is more powerful that my Z490 Vision D, build up a few years ago (and this is finally quite logical) !

So what to do now that my old veteran Z470 is pushed by the latest newcomer and may have to retire soon :) ? :cool:
My Z490 Vision D hasn’t been used for the past few months. It’s still hooked up, but not sure for how much longer…

Would you recommend to move on with this build (Asus Z690ProArt Creator) or to further investigate AMD scene?
This build (Asus Z690/790 ProArt Creator) is the most golden one that uses latest technology. If Thunderbolt hot plug is important, then this is the best option.

AMD systems are very capable, but they lag behind in the Thunderbolt department.

I use my AMD system (Asus X670E Gene) more often than my Z690 ProArt because the Gene is more of an everyday system and it is located downstairs. The ProArt is for productivity applications and is located in my home office upstairs.

Is it "safe" to have only AMD machines or Intel must be part of the game? When "real Mac is needed I have a MBP M1 14".
Because my Asus X670E Gene serves me very well as an everyday system, it is a safe option. Thunderbolt devices still work, but they must be connected before boot.

Thanks again for your valuable input...
BTW I have an unsolved question on the AMD forum, if you pass by and have some idea, everyone is failing to find and solve the issues!
Thanks again...
Will follow-up soon.

Did you happen to test the OWC Express 1M2? I have not managed to get it recognized on my system using the current NVM31. The enclosure cooks on the newer M-Series Macs. On a real 2019 Mac Pro it is recognized, but at about half the speed of the M-Series Macs.
The enclosures based on asm2464pd seem to require nvm36 or newer.

Back