1. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1
    Online
    mittermayr is offline
    #1

    NVidia GT 640 (Kepler) on new Dell Inspiron Models


    I have a brand-new Dell Inspirion 660 running Lion at 10.7.4.
    The new models ship with an NVIDIA GT 640, which supposedly is based on the new Kepler chips. The same technology (apparently) as pushed out with the upcoming 10.7.5 (and Macbook Pro Retinas).

    I figured, since the Dell Inspirion is a popular desktop that seems to work rather well as a Hackintosh, a lot of people will soon start browsing for help regarding the GT 640 graphics card (there is literally nothing online right now).

    Here's what works:
    - Ethernet worked out of the box, disk, usb, etc. all seems fine
    - Audio: Tried installing a VoodooHDA driver (first through Multibeast) that worked right away
    - That same VoodooHDA later on (couple of reboots later) was responsible for kernel panics, so I removed the KEXT in single user mode and it worked again (no sound though)
    - With Graphics Mode = 1920x1080 (for that monitor I use) it brings up nice high-res
    - It's of course not accelerated

    Here's what puzzles me:
    - I tried GraphicsEnabler with latest tonymacx86 Chameleon/Chimera. It recognizes the card and prints nice information in System Information. But there is only ONE resolution available (whichever I pick through Graphics Mode setting) and it says VRAM is basically 1MB or something ... or 64MB ... but not 1GB as supposed to.
    - I then tried installing the latest netkas pkg (he built one based on the MB Retina drivers / 10.7.5 beta update) to get the latest NVIDIA drivers working.
    - A reboot results in Kernel Panic, tried a few variations, same result.
    - Fix for Kernel Panic: Remove NVDAResMan.kext - boots fine afterwards.

    The device ID / Vendor ID for the GT 640 is:
    10de:0fc0 (rev a1)
    It's supposedly based on the GK107 chip.

    And this is where I stand, I can't, for the hell of it, get acceleration working (no translucent dock etc.).

    Any advice? I understand that most likely the latest forum developments will help sooner or later, but haven't seen anyone mentioning the GT 640 whereas everyone else with a Kepler card had success!

    I was referring to these threads:
    viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63823
    http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2727.0.html

    I didn't want to add more noise to the threads before getting basic advice/ideas out of the way here. I will post success or hints at the other thread once you guys can help me figure out something new.

    Thanks so much.

    Edit1: I also tried the latest versions of CUBA and another NVIDIA driver set I found on nvidia.com .... both to no avail

  2. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5
    System
    Sabertooth Z77
    CPU
    i7 3770k
    Graphics
    GTX 680 SLI
    Online
    nakquada is offline
    #2

    Re: NVidia GT 640 (Kepler) on new Dell Inspiron Models


    Have the very same issue on a desktop card (GTX 680).
    Removing NVDAResman is the only solution.

  3. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2
    System
    Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-2500K
    Graphics
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Online
    capsule is offline
    #3

    Re: NVidia GT 640 (Kepler) on new Dell Inspiron Models


    Same here...
    I bought Zotac GeForce GT 640 two weeks ago.
    http://www.zotac.com/index.php?page=sho ... 05&lang=ap

    I installed the card to my system, but I cannot change the resolution (1024x768 only).
    I also have installed the latest Chimera. In System Information, it's correctly detected. But it says 0 MB VRAM.

    I tried to install the Kepler kext from netkas, but still it didn't work. So I just uninstalled the card and restore the system to get back to Intel HD 3000. (My system is Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 with Intel i5-2500K).

    Later I searched on Google and found something interesting. Somebody posted a screenshot showing that he can install GeForce GT 640 correctly. I don't know if it's real or not, but I think it is. Unfortunately it's in Chinese and mention nothing how he can do it.
    Here's the link: http://macnuts.pixnet.net/blog/post/367 ... 0-on-osx86

  4. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,624
    System
    ASUS P5Q
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
    Graphics
    Sapphire HD5750
    Online
    Mate94 is offline
    Android Phone
    #4

    Re: NVidia GT 640 (Kepler) on new Dell Inspiron Models


    Quote Originally Posted by capsule
    Same here...
    I bought Zotac GeForce GT 640 two weeks ago.
    http://www.zotac.com/index.php?page=sho ... 05&lang=ap

    I installed the card to my system, but I cannot change the resolution (1024x768 only).
    I also have installed the latest Chimera. In System Information, it's correctly detected. But it says 0 MB VRAM.

    I tried to install the Kepler kext from netkas, but still it didn't work. So I just uninstalled the card and restore the system to get back to Intel HD 3000. (My system is Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 with Intel i5-2500K).

    Later I searched on Google and found something interesting. Somebody posted a screenshot showing that he can install GeForce GT 640 correctly. I don't know if it's real or not, but I think it is. Unfortunately it's in Chinese and mention nothing how he can do it.
    Here's the link: http://macnuts.pixnet.net/blog/post/367 ... 0-on-osx86
    GT640 has two versions. One Kepler and one Fermi based one. The Fermi based on works because they are just a rebranded GT440.

  5. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2
    System
    Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-2500K
    Graphics
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Online
    capsule is offline
    #5

    Re: NVidia GT 640 (Kepler) on new Dell Inspiron Models


    Quote Originally Posted by Mate94
    Quote Originally Posted by capsule
    Same here...
    I bought Zotac GeForce GT 640 two weeks ago.
    http://www.zotac.com/index.php?page=sho ... 05&lang=ap

    I installed the card to my system, but I cannot change the resolution (1024x768 only).
    I also have installed the latest Chimera. In System Information, it's correctly detected. But it says 0 MB VRAM.

    I tried to install the Kepler kext from netkas, but still it didn't work. So I just uninstalled the card and restore the system to get back to Intel HD 3000. (My system is Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 with Intel i5-2500K).

    Later I searched on Google and found something interesting. Somebody posted a screenshot showing that he can install GeForce GT 640 correctly. I don't know if it's real or not, but I think it is. Unfortunately it's in Chinese and mention nothing how he can do it.
    Here's the link: http://macnuts.pixnet.net/blog/post/367 ... 0-on-osx86
    GT640 has two versions. One Kepler and one Fermi based one. The Fermi based on works because they are just a rebranded GT440.
    Oh... I see... So the one in the screenshot is the Fermi based one.
    According to Wikipedia, GeForce GT 640 (OEM) card is a rebranded GeForce GT 545 (DDR3), GeForce GT 630 (DDR3) card is a rebranded GeForce GT 440 (DDR3).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... 600_Series

  6. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    49
    System
    GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H
    CPU
    Core i7 3770T
    Graphics
    Intel HD 4000
    Online
    Dreamwatcher is offline
    #6

    Re: NVidia GT 640 (Kepler) on new Dell Inspiron Models


    i have same problem KP.

    GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H
    Core i3-2105
    GeForce GT 640 DDR3 1GB (GK107/Kepler)
    OS 10.7.4 (from MBP2012)



    device-id 0x0fc1 is kepler base GeForce GT 640.

  7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    870
    Online
    Obvious Answer Man is offline
    #7

    Re: NVidia GT 640 (Kepler) on new Dell Inspiron Models


    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwatcher
    i have same problem KP.

    GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H
    Core i3-2105
    GeForce GT 640 DDR3 1GB (GK107/Kepler)
    OS 10.7.4 (from MBP2012)



    device-id 0x0fc1 is kepler base GeForce GT 640.
    There is no real support for Kepler cards in 10.7.4.

    You need to wait for 10.7.5 or 10.8.0 for complete support.
    Pointing out the obvious since 2010.... obviously.

  8. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    49
    System
    GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H
    CPU
    Core i7 3770T
    Graphics
    Intel HD 4000
    Online
    Dreamwatcher is offline
    #8
    i tested 10.8, boot up freez and black screen.

  9. Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    129
    System
    MSI Z77A-G43
    CPU
    Core i7 3770K
    Graphics
    Intel HD4000
    Online
    dta is offline
    iPhone MacBook Pro
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwatcher View Post
    i tested 10.8, boot up freez and black screen.
    Maybe you need to inject your device id, Mountain Lion only has support for 0x0fc0 inside NVDAGK100Hal:

    <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
    <string>
    0x0fc010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
    0x118010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
    0x11c010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
    </string>
    Main System: MSI Z77A-G43 / Core i7 3770K / Intel HD4000 / 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 / Samsung 830 256GB SSD

  10. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    49
    System
    GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H
    CPU
    Core i7 3770T
    Graphics
    Intel HD 4000
    Online
    Dreamwatcher is offline
    #10
    i add 0x0fc1, but still black screen.

    <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
    <string>
    0x0fc010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
    0x0fc110de&amp;0xffc0ffff
    0x118010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
    0x11c010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
    </string>

  11. Similar Threads:

Page 1 of 2 12 Last