Contribute
Register

Zut's 'New' Project - G5 Case Mode/ATX/Hackintosh - Recommendation wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zut

Motherboard
A few... 2x Servers, iMac, Macbook Air, Mac Mini, gaming system.
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Zut's 'New' Project - G5 Case Mode/ATX/Hackintosh - (In Progress)

Hey everyone,
Been reading the forums for while, and am an Apple fan-boi, but, haven't had a chance to start playing with some of the things I always wanted to do, so finally I got this old G5 case from a colleague, and ripped the guts out of it to start the mod.

So here is what we have so far:
G5 Case MY2005
A kit from http://www.thelaserhive.com/:
Full ATX w/PSU Holder, MoBo tray, and the Lian Li front Panel

And the "Plan"
ATX/FF Mobo & Core i5 (K series CPU, probably 3.5Ghz)
***Radeon 270 or 290 GPU
16 to 32 GB Ram
7500 to 1500 RPM HDD/Depending, least of my concerns, maybe a WD Raptor, but not set in stone.
No Internal DVD/CDROM
***Corsair Closed Liquid Cooling/Or one of the iterations
***Corsair Hydro HG10 GPU Cooling Bracket (http://www.corsair.com/en/cooling/gpu-cooling)
OS - Not decided if it will be true hackintosh, with dual boot, or just "plain Jain" Windows gaming box w/nice hardware. But, have time to think on that.

The "Fantasy"
Powdercoat the case, in a nice glossy color. Only concern is, do I want to screw around with taking it all apart in order to powdercoat it, or will taking out all the plastic things would be sufficient. Would much appreciate input from anyone who has done it in the past, as to your opinion on the matter.
It would be nice if I could avoid the take-apart option, if I could, certainly would contribute to the decision.

Also, it would be awesome, if there was a way to completely seal the DVD bay, and match the case, to be completely seamless, perforated, aluminum front.
But I haven't found out exact way of doing it, yet. Again, if someone did such a thing, please let me know.

NOTES:
*** In order to utilize 2 Corsair Closed Liquid Coolers for CPU & GPU I will need to cut the bottom of the case, to create the space for the CPU radiator (whether 280mm or 240mm radiators will be utilized, I am uncertain at this time) since the GPU will be using an older version of 120mm Fan/Radiator version from Corsair, on the back of the system 120mm opening.

Now to the suggestions/recommendations I need:

Internal Design/Infrastructure:
When I initially took the case apart, I was not super smart, and made a mistake of being a bit rough with the top DVD tray, & HDD caddy, needless to say that they are gone gone. I actually forgot them laying around and my cleaning service threw it away. So I cant even recover it to see if I can fix the error.

So now I have an issue where I need to come up with an aesthetically pleasing, and functional internal HDD cage. I need a recommendation on this.
If you guys have a suggestion on which item I ought to search for, if retail, would be great.
Or, if anyone has built a custom cage, I would love if you could share your plans/drawings, maybe I can use it to have it manufactured somewhere locally.
Since I need to figure out the best way to incorporate it into the internal design of the case, with the tray being absent, I have somewhat limited options where to attach the caddy, w/o drilling, and am certainly not going to mess with the sides/top/front of the case, as not to mar the surface.

Additionally, looking for recommendation on the channel/modular wiring organization. I was thinking, once system is being built, I want to place as many wires as I can out of the way, and channel them around for as streamlined of a look as possible.

And, wondering how to incorporate a 120 or 140 mm intake fan, behind the front mesh of the system, again, custom bracket of some sort, but w/o screwing up the pristine front mesh, or compromising internal layout, especially taking into account the HDD cage, and the Radiator, that might have to be laid on the bottom of the system

Apple Hardware:
I am thinking I want to use an OEM internal Apple BT receiver, so I can install BootCamp drivers (under Windows) and utilize the Apple BT keyboard and Magic Mouse. If someone done this, would appreciate a recommendation. Unless it is possible to connect them to regular aftermarket BT receiver, I have seen some options, with changing configuration within the driver itself, but I think using OEM Native stuff probably would be better, and more elegant solution.

My primary desire is to have the BT receiver internal/inside the case, w/o areal sticking out from the PCiE or other aftermarket cards.

That's where I am thus far, in the beginning. But, I thought I would try and do it well, or as well as I can, for an awesome system.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    906.5 KB · Views: 322
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 372
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 305
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 265
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 274
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 370
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    836.8 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
You can probably fit the larger of the 2 radiators in the front of the case vs cutting a hole in the bottom. I'd recommend using the larger cooler on the GPU seeing as it will produce a lot more heat than the CPU; an intel quad core has a TDP of around 90 watts vs 180-300 watts for an R9 series graphics card.

Edit: Spelling

Take a look at the laser hive front radiator panel on my build. It looks great and works really well. You could then mount a smaller radiator on the back plate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    936.7 KB · Views: 292
You can probably fit the larger of the 2 radiators in the front of the case vs cutting a hole in the bottom. I'd recommend using the larger cooler on the GPU seeing as it will produce a lot more heat than the CPU; an intel quad core has a TDP of around 90 watts vs 180-300 watts for an R9 series graphics card.Edit: Spelling

You know, I did not think of it that way, and I should have, GPU will of course produce more heat under load than the CPU. :) Thanks man :)

Take a look at the laser hive front radiator panel on my build. It looks great and works really well. You could then mount a smaller radiator on the back plate.

Haha! I saw that last night while forum whoring, and am already in contact with David.
He actually has a spare top shelf for me, and he will cut it for me, with the new version of the front bracket.

Also, @Plavedra, whats the size of the radiator you have installed on that bracket? 240mm or 280mm?
I am wondering if I can work it out with David to make me one that accommodate both sizes... :)

That's definitely a 280mm radiator, looks awesome!

Yep it's a 280mm radiator with two fans AF140 at the front and two AF140's on the back. It's the Corsair H110 radiator that has unfortunately sprung a leak so I'm waiting for a H110i GT to turn up :)

its super quiet and cold. I have to close the side door as it freezes my leg!

Last edited:
Yep it's a 280mm radiator with two fans AF140 at the front and two AF140's on the back. It's the Corsair H110 radiator that has unfortunately sprung a leak so I'm waiting for a H110i GT to turn up :)

its super quiet and cold. I have to close the side door as it freezes my leg!

The AF series fans aren't meant for radiator use, you should have gotten the SP series, although I don't think corsair makes them in 140mm in non-LED.

Apple Hardware:
I am thinking I want to use an OEM internal Apple BT receiver, so I can install BootCamp drivers (under Windows) and utilize the Apple BT keyboard and Magic Mouse. If someone done this, would appreciate a recommendation. Unless it is possible to connect them to regular aftermarket BT receiver, I have seen some options, with changing configuration within the driver itself, but I think using OEM Native stuff probably would be better, and more elegant solution.

My primary desire is to have the BT receiver internal/inside the case, w/o areal sticking out from the PCiE or other aftermarket cards.

That's where I am thus far, in the beginning. But, I thought I would try and do it well, or as well as I can, for an awesome system.

A cheaper alternative to the Apple BT receiver: If the motherboard that you have (or purchasing) has internal usb headers, just purchase a motherboard header adapter. The one I purchased is this: StarTech 2 Port USB Motherboard Header Adapter

Head over to the Buyer's Guide and select a bluetooth adapter that you'd prefer. In total, you aren't spending much more than $30 (tax and shipping) and it works perfectly with the Hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back