Contribute
Register

Zotac Z87 ITX with Thunderbolt coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I didn't say it would not work, just would be wastefull but if thats what you want there is no issue using it as they do fit together.

Well I only wanted that case if it would fit an ATX but it wont. The mobo I want is ATX... now yet another opportunity to post pics of it :thumbup: :headbang:

08_GIGABYTE_GA-Z87X-UD7_TH 4.jpgGA-Z87X-UD7 TH.jpg07_GIGABYTE_GA-Z87X-UD7_TH.jpg08_GIGABYTE_GA-Z87X-UD7_TH.jpg06_GIGABYTE_GA-Z87X-UD7_TH.jpg08_GIGABYTE_GA-Z87X-UD7_TH 2.jpg08_GIGABYTE_GA-Z87X-UD7_TH 3.jpg

this is great news! but i presume its only thunderbolt 1.0 ?
i am prepared to build a haswell hackintosh and an TB on ITX is a godsend!
how long could we be waiting for this zotac board? how long would it take to wait for a potential gigabyte board with TB?

There is no PC mobos with TB 2.0

There isn't anything with TB 2.0 yet, quite frankly. The suppository-shaped Mac Pro is the first machine that will have TB 2.0 and it's not even released yet.

TB 1.0 is enough for me. I have an 8-drive TBolt array and TB 1.0 has been plenty fast enough to handle it. Just want a smaller system hook it up to (and yet still have a fast gfx card).

There isn't anything with TB 2.0 yet, quite frankly. The suppository-shaped Mac Pro is the first machine that will have TB 2.0 and it's not even released yet.

TB 1.0 is enough for me. I have an 8-drive TBolt array and TB 1.0 has been plenty fast enough to handle it. Just want a smaller system hook it up to (and yet still have a fast gfx card).

"suppository-shaped" that was funny. It is more cylindrical looking than a suppository though, it is also hollow in the middle where the fan is located. Looks like a black hollow cone sort of. I bet they chose that shape on purpose to make a statement/point. Either way that puppy is POWERFUL! Wish I could afford one, thatd be SWEET!

TB 2.0 doesn't even increase the max bandwith. TB 1.0 is 2x 10Gb streams, 2.0 is 1x 20Gb stream. The only real advantage that 2.0 will have right off the bat is that it will support 4k screens, while 1.0 does not. Granted, this will be more important as time goes on but, yea, for now I'd be more than happy with this Zotac board.

I have been stalking this board for a while now since I first spotted the french write up.

The expected release was quoted as sometime in the summer (!), so hopefully soon.

I have done a few Zotac builds (an old 775 board when they were the first to integrate wifi on an ITX and then the Z77) and they have a good record of being hack friendly (they even modified the last bios of the Z77 board on request by CodeRush to make a power patch not necessary).

I have been stalking this board for a while now since I first spotted the french write up.

The expected release was quoted as sometime in the summer (!), so hopefully soon.

I am a bit wary that the board has gotten practically zero coverage aside from one or two French articles though. When a company is about to release something there'd usually be a bunch of PRs or it'd be sent to sites for review. Plus, the fact that a couple other manufacturers aborted their TBolt products isn't reassuring.

Eh... maybe I'm being the impatient kid or something, but I'm kinda tempted to send an email to Zotac about when this Z87 TB board will be out in the states. Really eager to get my hands on one of these. If it ends up working out as nice as a Gigabyte I'd easily be buying at least another seven for work projects. The UP5-THs take up so damn much space...

I have done a few Zotac builds (an old 775 board when they were the first to integrate wifi on an ITX and then the Z77) and they have a good record of being hack friendly (they even modified the last bios of the Z77 board on request by CodeRush to make a power patch not necessary).

Wow, that's some support. How did he contact them? Did he just fire off a message via the website or what? And was that a one-off BIOS change they quietly made just for him, or did they actually release and post a BIOS with that change officially?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back