Contribute
Register

Zotac gaming machines - Are these compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

I have been reading up on this hackintosh subject, quite a lot actually, but as I am very new to this subject and am just in the starting blocks (still looking for what computer to buy) I could use some advice and tips. As I don't have a computer as of yet (except for my macbook pro that I am writing this on) I haven't posted any specs on my profile.

I have some ideas on what I want to buy but as I said, I am not fully knowledgable to know if these pre-built machines are even doable as hackintoshes and what might not work and what might have to be replaced or added for everything to work as a regular mac (looking to use all mac specific features such as airdrop, handoff, iMessage, FaceTime, etc). As I have little interest of actually building my own machine and have already found something that I believe would fit my needs perfectly as I will use windows for gaming (and VR) and mac os for office use etc, then the only question is if these two options are compatible in to making hackintoshes?

Option 1 Zotac MEK1:

https://www.zotac.com/product/zotac_gaming/mek1-gaming-pc-black#spec

Computing System
  • Processor
    Intel Core i7-7700 (quad core 3.6 GHz, up to 4.2 GHz)
  • Chipset
    Intel, NVIDIA
  • System Memory
    16GB DDR4 (2x8GB - 2400) memory
Graphics
  • Graphics Engine
    ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 Ti 8GB GDDR5 256-bit
  • Video Output
    HDMI 2.0b
    3 x DisplayPort 1.4
    DL-DVI-D
    (max 4 display)
Storage
  • Hard Drive
    1TB 2.5-inch SATA HDD
  • Mass Storage
  • Optical Drive
  • mSATA
  • M.2
    240GB NVMe PCIe SSD (80mm)
I/O Ports
  • Audio
    Onboard 7.1 Channel Audio with Optical Output
  • USB Port
    6 x USB 3.0 ports
    2 x USB 2.0 ports
  • LAN
    Dual Gigabit Ethernet
  • Antenna
    Dual WiFI SMA connetor
  • Wifi
    802.11ac/b/g/n
  • Bluetooth
    Bluetooth 4.2
  • Legacy I/O
  • PS/2 Port

Option 2 Zotac Magnus EN1070:

https://www.zotac.com/product/mini_pcs/magnus-en1070k#spec

Computing System
  • Processor
    Intel Core i5-7500T (quad-core, 2.7 GHz, up to 3.3 GHz)
  • Chipset
    Intel 100 Series, NVIDIA
  • System Memory
    2 x DDR4-2400/2133 SODIMM Slots (up to 32GB)
Graphics
  • Graphics Engine
    GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 256-bit
  • Video Output
    2 x HDMI 2.0
    2 x DisplayPort 1.3
Storage
  • Hard Drive
    1 x 2.5-inch SATA 6.0 Gbps HDD/SSD bay
  • Mass Storage
    N/A
  • Optical Drive
    N/A
  • mSATA
    None
  • M.2
    1 x M.2 PCIEx4 / SATA SSD slot (22/42,22/60,22/80)
  • Card Reader
    3-in-1 (SD/SDHC/SDXC)
I/O Ports
  • Audio
    Microphone, Headphone
  • USB Port
    2 x USB 3.0
    1 x USB 3.1 Type-C
    1 x USB 3.1
    2x USB 2.0
  • LAN
    Dual Gigabit LAN
  • Antenna
    1 x WiFI SMA connetor
  • Wifi
    802.11ac/b/g/n
  • Bluetooth
    Bluetooth 4.2
  • Legacy I/O
    None
  • CIR Infrared Port
    Yes
  • Thunderbolt - None

Sorry for the super long post, but I wanted to try and make it simple by copying the specs of the two machines into this post right away. I hope it made it a little easier :)

I really appreciate any advice, feedback, and help regarding this!

Thank you!

Wins the award for the most bizarre looking gaming case ever. Maybe it melted in the heat ? What is the appeal of this ? Anyway what is important is who makes the motherboard and does it have an open PCI-e x1 slot to install a BT/Wifi card in that will give you all the features like handoff, continuity etc. It's hard to tell from those pics on the Zotac site but that doesn't look possible from what I can see. There may be an mSata slot that you could install a wifi/BT card into. It's really so much easier to build your own mini-itx system and get everything you need so that everything works. Pre-Builts always have some compromises. I've found that the HP pre-built desktops are the most compatible and easiest to hackintosh of all brands of pre-builts.

upload_2018-3-27_18-42-46.png

Last edited:
Thank you for your response @trs96

I agree with you, the design is very... specific, but for me it checks all the boxes of what I want to use it for

Hmmmm, then maybe I should look at building my own mini itx-system after all, if you say its easier to get it to work correctly with mac os. I wanted to buy something pre-built just to make it easier but after doing some additional research I might be able to handle building one. As I am very new to this I really have limited knowledge but I am trying to expand that by reading and looking at videos etc. I have already been looking at certain builds etc but want it in a smaller chassi like these 2 options above. I am well aware it might be harder to build the machine in a smaller space, but it might be a fun challenge.

Anyways, if you have any recommendations for this please let me know!

Last edited:
As I am very new to this I really have limited knowledge but I am trying to expand that by reading and looking at videos etc. I have already been looking at certain builds etc but want it in a smaller chassi like these 2 options above. I am well aware it might be harder to build the machine in a smaller space, but it might be a fun challenge.
As the saying goes, there's a first time for everything. I think you will enjoy building one it's really very easy nowadays as everything is standardized in the PC parts industry. It used to be extremely difficult about 20 years ago because nearly everyone was making their own proprietary parts that would only fit in their PC. Now it's more like putting legos together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back